Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Last Movie You Saw, Name & Review Movie • Page 87

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I like owning physical media to support financially art I like, however small a gesture it is, if I like the physical presentation of the blu-ray, like Criterion, for special features, which Criterion particularly is great for and which streaming services don't have, and I like not having to rely on a fluid streaming library for personal favorites.

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Still rocking Netflix DVD service. I could never give up the ability to just watch something when I want and not when someone happens to have the rights to it for a month.

secretsociety92 likes this.
  3. Morrissey

Trusted

At this point I am too lazy to change discs. I run an HDMI cord from my laptop to my 55 inch 4K television and watch everything through that.

4. Dog with a Blog

This is nearly the exact setup I have going on right now. It was great at my old place but where I just moved has garbage internet so, while it doesn't render streaming services completely obsolete, it makes it quite a frustrating experience.

5. Watched La La Land again. Still in love with it despite its faults.

Brent and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  6. Dog with a Blog

Same idgaf

7. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

la la land was unenjoyable

8. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

My wife can't get past the opening scene. :(

9. cshadows2887

La La Land is wonderful. So is Moonlight. So is Manchester by the Sea. So is Arrival.

10. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I need to watch it but being fairly sure I will not like it makes it really hard to convince myself to try it

Manchester and Moonlight are both great and I need to finally watch Arrival, worried it'll be heavy handed

11. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I got bored watching La La Land the second time. The opening number is awesome and there are other parts of the movie that are quite nice too, but on second viewing...a bit boring.

and i like musicals.

12. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

Death Wish is actually a brilliant insight into how conservatives view inner city violence

13. Morrissey

Trusted

It is safe to skip La La Land. Arrival is okay, and certainly his best film, but it is a little too ridiculous and clunky. Manchester by the Sea and Moonlight both have held up on rewatches. I was worried that the initial emotional impact of first viewing would not be there when you knew what was coming, but it is still devastating.

jawstheme and Joel like this.
  14. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I gave up physically owning media about 3 years ago

it was a great decision

15. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

Donald Cried - 3.5/5

16. secretsociety92 Aug 20, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 27, 2017)
    secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Pale Rider* - 9/10
    Atomic Blonde - 8.5/10
    The Raven (1935) - 7.5/10
    Frankenstein (1931) - 7.5/10
    Bride of Frankenstein - 8/10
    The Boss Baby - 4/10
    The Mummy (1932) - 6/10
    Ouija: Origin of Evil* - 7.5/10
    Split - 6.5/10

* = Rewatch

Another overall solid week especially thanks to the likes of Atomic Blonde and with me continuing to enjoy 1930s horror films in a week dominated by horror films in general. After Dracula not quite meeting expectations from last week The Raven was surprisingly not just better but more effective as well while both Frankenstein films were solid but if there was a better payoff to the ending for Bride of Frankenstein that would have not just been better than all the other 1930s horror films I have seen so far but a favorite horror film in general. The Mummy was overall a disappointment but still somewhat enjoyable but was lacking in comparison to previous horror films of that era that I've seen so far. The Boss Baby was utterly underwhelming while Split was entertaining enough but I'm still not entirely convinced M. Night Shyamalan is back on form like others have claimed as compared to his first three efforts it falls well below them all.

Bought several blu-rays this week as well (including Ouija: Origin of Evil) but besides that film were all from the 1980s as my collection was lacking certain films from that decade which I hopefully will get round to watching at some point.

17. secretsociety92

The Return of the Living Dead* - 9/10
    Annabelle - 2.5/10
    Annabelle: Creation - 7/10
    An American Werewolf in London* - 9/10
    Silent Running - 8/10
    The Invisible Man (1933) - 8.5/10
    Jackie Chan's First Strike - 5.5/10
    Slugs - 7/10
    The Evil Dead* - 8.5/10
    Evil Dead II* - 9.5/10
    Army of Darkness - 6/10
    Allied - 6.5/10

* = Rewatch

An interesting week for sure with horror films once again being the dominant genre which was more intentional than the previous week as all of those I rewatched I purchased on Blu-ray. I think though the highlight of the week despite not being the best film was Slugs as it is one of those B-movies that is highly enjoyable despite its flaws and is fun to watch with others due to how ludicrous it is. Surprised I hadn't seen Army of Darkness before but kind of wish I didn't as it was a major dip in quality over the previous two, what is it with Sam Raimi failing to make a great third film in a trilogy? Annabelle: Creation was a big improvement over Annabelle thanks to genuine scares and characters I cared about neither of which were present in the first film. The Invisible Man is my favorite of the horror films from the 1930s that I have seen so far thanks to a goofy tone, solid special effects and an overall entertaining plot.

18. Everything Before Us
    The movie's premise reminds me of TiMER, how an organization based on relationships/love controls every aspect of life. But unlike TiMER, this isn't a romantic comedy, and it's not borderline sci-fi. This really just felt like another one of Wong Fu's romantic/dramatic shorts, but feature length, and I mean that in the best way possible. It gave them the time they needed to really explore the characters, their relationships, and the themes in a way that was both emotionally and intellectually satisfying. The tone is so... delicate. The quiet music, the flashback montages, the settings. Obviously, I love that the cast is mostly Asian. A lot of familiar faces, actors and other YouTubers Wong Fu have collaborated with in the past (there was a cameo or two that made me chuckle). I really liked how they intertwined the narratives of two couples, one younger and one older, juxtaposing their struggles and the differing amounts of experience they have dealing with these sorts of issues. I was afraid the film would paint the female characters as the villains, a thought that sometimes crosses my mind while watching some of their shorts, but it really just felt like watching real people who all have their flaws but who are all trying to do the right thing.

19. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Ingrid Goes West - 7/10

Frustrating movie. There was so much in here that i LOVED. I liked how uneven the movie was in regards to its characters. ingrid went from lovable loser to insane to frustrating SO much that it was hard to have a pulse on her. I liked how everyone in Olsen's family was not stock at all. Every character comes in and you THINK they're stock, cliche, but when the movie unfolds they don't turn out to be the character you expected. The interactions with eachother felt very realistic. Like, just because we think Olsen's brother is a dick, doesn't mean that Ingrid's boyfriend might not get along with him for some reason. A lot of that stuff going on here.

But...the movie also gets frustrating about halfway in, mostly, because of the Ingrid character. She IS sick. And as the movie continues, it's not a funny sick or a horror movie sick, like she obviously has a lot of issues...and i think the movie totally missed out on fleshing that out more.

They didn't know if they wanted to be comedy and black comedy or what...and i think if they made a choice, the movie would've been GREAT.

The last scene and the kidnapping scene really hurt this movie.

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

saw Close Encounters Of The Third Kind for the first time as part of the 40th anniversary theatrical release, it started with interviews with Spielberg, Abrams, and Villeneuve,I can definitely see how this inspired Arrival
    had no idea Truffaut was in this, he was great and that was cool
    it's definitely Spielbergian

21. secretsociety92

Murder at 1600 - 4.5/10
    Logan Lucky - 8/10
    The Chamber (2016) - 5.5/10
    The Aviator - 8/10
    The Edge of Seventeen - 8/10
    2001: A Space Odyssey - 7/10
    The Infiltrator (2016) - 7.5/10
    Dial M for Murder - 8.5/10
    The Family (2013) - 1.5/10
    The Guns of Navarone - 9/10

A few duds and a film that seemingly everyone loves that didn't quite connect with me were not enough to sully this week as overall it was enjoyable. Biggest surprises of the week were Logan Lucky, The Edge of Seventeen and The Guns of Navarone as my expectations for each were easily surpassed. Annoyed I didn't like 2001: A Space Odyssey as much as other people do as there were several great parts throughout but they weren't enough to sustain the runtime or overcome the ambiguity, great soundtrack and visuals though. The Aviator was good but far from Scorsese's best and after reading up on Hughes' life I feel there was more parts to tell that were just as interesting. Dial M for Murder is another classic from Hitchcock which manages for most of the film to keep the film centered in one location while not being boring for one moment. The Chamber has a good premise, solid tension and a final act that is equally gruesome and unforgiving but the script was lacking and the overall plot wasn't all that enticing. Murder at 1600 was below average in most areas but was still just about watchable while The Family was painfully dull. Despite The Infiltrator not being all that original I still got plenty of enjoyment out of it thanks to its engrossing plot and great cast.

Hopefully next week will be even better.

22. Was looking for a movie to watch and gave Take Me a shot on a whim, not having watched Orange is the New Black. Taylor Schilling is great in this. Pat Healy did a good job as well, both acting and directing. The plot has a lot of interesting twists and turns and a lot of it is ridiculous. Not a bad way to kill eighty minutes.

23. XX was pretty disjointed and incohesive, but I think it's still worth watching for the whole "horror from a female perspective" thing it has going on, and the individual shorts are quite good on their own.

24. secretsociety92

Lady Macbeth - 8/10
    American Made - 7.5/10
    Monster (2003) - 8.5/10
    Koyaanisqatsi - 6/10
    I Know What You Did Last Summer - 1.5/10
    I Still Know What You Did Last Summer - 0.5/10
    Passengers (2016) - 3.5/10
    Kong: Skull Island - 7/10
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) - 8/10

A relatively underwhelming week despite a strong start and above average end. Quite frankly both of the Last Summer films drained all my will to bother even talking about this week as they were soul destroyingly bad so I will be brief. Lady Macbeth was great overall despite lacking meaningful depth to the characters. American Made is pure entertainment fluff but is fun and engrossing enough to be enjoyable. Monster has a stunning performance by Charlize Theron who is mesmerizing throughout. Koyaanisqatsi was an interesting experience but ultimately was lacking to much to sustain it throughout its runtime. Passengers has a good cast and looked great but the flawed plot made it unlikable. Kong: Skull Island pales in comparison to previous King Kong films and didn't quite match up to my enjoyment of the 2014 version of Godzilla but a good cast, excellent visuals, well played out action and a brisk pace made it a decent experience. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was surprisingly dark in tone in certain areas, the special effects mostly hold up and the plot is fun enough.

25. cshadows2887

The music alone kept me glued to Koyaanisqatsi. And I'm not usually big on Phillip Glass.

secretsociety92 likes this.