Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Last Movie You Saw, Name & Review Movie • Page 76

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Dog with a Blog

Welp. That was underwhelming.

2. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

yeah, it's getting fucking torched. dude went from +80% films on RT to this, it's hovering at 25ish right now.

3. Malatesta

rewatched Opening Night, god, what a painfully honest movie. it's smart - some of the blocking and camera framing is ingenious - but more than that, it's real; it chooses not to be noticeable for its intellect but for how simply raw it is. it's coarse even to a fault, but I don't know if i can even hold it against it because of how vulnerable and unafraid it is.

4. Malatesta

Blue Ruin was quite good, but Green Room still is head and shoulders above it for me. It does a decent job of telling a quite stripped down story and still drawing a lot of tension out of it in unique ways, but it lags towards the middle and ultimately the payoff isn't superb. Green Room had the same problems, actually, but it's a little less significant because of how nihilistic GR is.
    You can see Saulnier's intelligence, sense of irony, and style, but GR distills it down even more effectively, I think. course, could just be cause i'm biased towards being a fan of underground punk and fucking up nazis. still, that's a good thing, means he's probably continuing to hone his skill.

5. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Have you seen I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore?

6. Malatesta

i've not, but it looks really up my alley. Macon seems like a real talent too

7. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I'm a horror guy, so I was surprised to like it more than Green Room and Blue Ruin (immediately after watching, at least. I think Green Room is probably the better film, but I Don't Feel at Home hit all the spots I needed hitting that day)

8. Dog with a Blog

I usually don't like to criticize a movie as being "boring" because I feel like that's so subjective but holy lord....Jackie is one of the most boring films I've ever seen. And I felt like I was watching a cartoon character the whole time. I turned it off.

9. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Bacalaureat (Graduation) was pretty good. Some very well shot scenes as expected for Mungiu, and interesting character interaction and dialogue throughout. My girlfriend is Romanian which provided an interesting perspective on the whole desperation behind the father wanting his daughter to study out of the country.

Also I had find this thread in the 2nd page of the forum. Are we all finally too old and busy to regularly watch movies?

10. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

21 Grams is sort of a wind-up for Inarritu. A dress rehearsal for how good Babel would be

11. Morrissey

Trusted

They ruined the thread by not pinning it. It would get a lot more attention otherwise.

jawstheme likes this.
  12. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I think I actually hate Matt McConaughey now bc of these Cadillac commercials... and well True Detective too.

jawstheme likes this.
  13. Malatesta

Train to Busan was so fundamentally solid, leave it to SK to reinvigorate my faith in the zombie subgenre. it didn't do anything crazy inventive or adventurous, it just actively thought about what its conflict generated on both a macro and micro level and continually came up with smart, self-consistent, and unique ways to resolve that conflict. and, of course, the economic commentary was great. zombies truly are the monster of the capitalists.

TedSchmosby likes this.
  14. Malatesta

it's kinda funny, he totally re-legitimized his career with his roles in Interstellar, Dallas Buyers Club, Wolf of Wall Street, Mud, etc, but considering he came from shitty romcoms, i'm surprised he'd be willing to go back into clearly such financially-minded jobs

15. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I ought to remember to post in here more often. I'm young and spry enough that I was able to watch 53 movies this April and I barely posted about any of them.

I watched Grizzly Man today. One of those documentaries that doesn't try to push a message. It's just a really interesting subject presented to the audience in a complete way and I appreciated that

16. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

what about his performance in True Detective makes you hate him exactly? because I found him to be more likable than ever in that role and I thought he was probably the best thing about the show, but that's just me.

17. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Well I just hated that show. And his character was completely painful

and this scene. jesus lol

18. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

haha that fucking scene

I have issues with the show too but I thought he was fine in it. it's whatever tho

19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah no worries.

His part in Wolf of Wall Street might be the most I've laughed at a movie in a couple years though.

angrycandy likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

He always strikes me as a guy who loves the art, but also just loves living his life too. The paycheck jobs must help with that

SpyKi likes this.
  21. Malatesta

sad to know that ghosts of girlfriends past isn't still paying out.

22. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Impressive! I was once so lucky. Also, Grizzly Man is excellent.

23. Dog with a Blog

LMAO my friends and I just got drunk and saw Unforgettable and it was the most hilarious theatre experience I've ever had. 0/10 for the movie, 11/10 for the luLz

24. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I'm so thankful that movies like that exist to provide a backdrop to what will become fond memories. What else should movies be besides fond memories anyways?

25. Dog with a Blog

Agreed, it's the best. I'm seriously going to miss it when I move in a few months. I have a solid group of friends and we have Shitty Movie Night every week or so and this is the first time we took it to the theatre. Thankfully, it seemed like most of the audience understood that it was so bad it's good and were laughing along.