Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Last Movie You Saw, Name & Review Movie • Page 111

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Really glad you enjoyed it. Lancaster and Ritter are both favorites of mine, so that one's always been can't-miss.

secretsociety92 likes this.
  2. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

It surprised me by how much I enjoyed it as I knew I would like it just from the cast and Frankenheimer directing but didn't expect it to truly captivate me the way it did. Also watched The Train which I loved equally as much and should have the last two notable films from Frankenheimer that he did in the sixties watched before the week is up.

3. cshadows2887

I should revisit The Train. I've seen a lot of praise for it that makes me wonder if maybe I didn't fully process it the first time. it seemed somewhat rote to me the first time. Especially knowing that Frankenheimer could develop tension with the best of them.

4. secretsociety92

I found it to be incredibly tense in several key scenes plus unlike a lot of the classic WWII set films, some of which I love, it really doesn't shy away from the cruelty towards civilians that got caught up whenever the Nazis were resisted. I also really like the fact it is from a perspective that I have never seen before in a film, I had no idea that French railway workers played a significant role in resisting Nazi occupation. Then you have the action scenes, who doesn't love a practical train crash? coupled with the cast. I could waffle on for ages about it haha but I do feel it'd be worth a revisit on your part, I'm certainly going to add it to my Blu-ray collection first chance I get along with Birdman of Alcatraz.

5. secretsociety92

The film rental service I am subscribed to sent these two gems through the post to pretty much conclude my recent John Frankenheimer obsession, both of which were solid but The Manchurian Candidate was the superior film of the two and probably the directors best overall.

lTgcjv2R.jpg

6. cshadows2887

Manchurian is probably in my all time top 50 or so. Sinatra karate aside, it's just perfect. Lansbury is one of THE great screen villains.

7. secretsociety92

I actually enjoyed that fight scene but agreed on Lansbury since I have only known her for Murder, She Wrote so seeing her do such a great job in a villainous and scheming role was captivating, to say the least.

Just wish I could get my hands on more of Frankenheimer's films physically as I really want to see Black Sunday again but not sure if I should rent it digitally or just buy it like that.

8. Might be recency bias, but I thought Frozen 2 was incredible, probably my favorite Disney Animation Studios film since Tangled. Unlike the first, I can see myself watching this again and again. Two great Disney Princess movies to bookend the decade.

9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

silver linings playbook was worse than i remember, and i think i should attribute that to a sharper understanding of the things that are shown or touched on in the film. that said, DOR hasn't made a better film since easily

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Watching Rules of Attraction. It’s been forever, forgot how much I love this

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The use of closeups and the focus on facial expressions in this film is really great. Goes along with the whole facade thing that BEE has going on. Soundtrack rules as well. This is such a good alternative to the faux-sentimental teen movies at the time. There are no redeeming characters in this film, everyone is vapid and horrible. No wonder it was panned. Reminds me of Spring Breakers in the sense of grabbing teen heartthrobs and presenting the film as another sex comedy (I think Puddle of Mudd’s She Hates Me was in the trailer, right? Shit, I even think that they’d play an audio trailer on the radio if I remember correctly) while offering something darker

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Victor’s character going to Europe and having a super self absorbed piece of shit time and then coming back and being one of the most vapid, horrible characters in the film is a great choice

13. angrycandy Dec 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 15, 2019)
    angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Holiday - 7/10
    Lost River - 1/10
    Aniara - 7.5/10
    The Forbidden Room - 7/10
    Take Me to the River 5/10
    Trouble Every Day - 8/10
    The Wild Boys - 7/10

yung_ting likes this.
  14. Going through Star Wars. Episode III is the only one I haven't seen, but it's been over ten years since I watched any of the ones before The Force Awakens. The Phantom Menace wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, either. Just a bit boring. I was gonna watch one a day leading up to Friday--I guess I didn't time this very well.

15. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

you could also watch, like, anything else

16. Morrissey

Trusted

I always get a kick out of the constant rewatches. "Just watched Attack of the Clones for the 87th time and it's still bad" is fascinating to me. You don't have to watch the bad ones. When I watch The Godfather I don't watch the third one.

17. But it's been so long that it almost feels like the first time. And with Episode III it literally will be.

18. Morrissey

Trusted

The prequels do make for really good meme formats.

19. Shit, slacked off the past two days. Might just do 2+3 today, 7+8 tomorrow, 9 Friday, then sometime 4-6 after.

20. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I watched some prequel clips the other day and they really were so bad that they make me want to rewatch them tbh

21. This didn't happen, either. I got half an hour into III before getting distracted haha

I fully intend to do a run through of the series, apparently just not this week.

22. angrycandy

Villains - 7/10
    Zodiac - 10/10
    Under the Skin - 9/10

23. secretsociety92

Not seen many films directed by John Sturges but I definitely just watched my favourite from him in the form of Bad Day At Black Rock which was superb with its tight narrative in the smallest of towns with a script that brilliantly builds up the tension around the secrets of the town and the motivation of our lead character. Probably not Sturges' most notable film but this easily beats The Magnificent Seven, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and Joe Kidd which are for now the only other three I have seen from him.

24. angrycandy

Knives Out - 8/10

25. angrycandy

Diamantino - 8.5/10

what a strange and lovely little film

yung_ting likes this.