Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Last Movie You Saw, Name & Review Movie • Page 110

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

probably not

2. Morrissey

Trusted

I generally find that they are annoyed when you do that. Some people just don't want to watch those kinds of things

3. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

My girlfriend wants to see it even though I told her she most likely won’t enjoy it.

4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

The fish labia are probably going to be a dealbreaker for a lot of people, tbh.

5. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

It'll also be the selling point for a fair number of people

yung_ting and Dog with a Blog like this.
  6. Dog with a Blog

I took someone to see Personal Shopper and I should not have done that. She was clearly bored when we were only like 30 minutes in and it made it really hard for me to focus cause I kept thinking about if they were enjoying it.

As for The Lighthouse, it’s absolutely bananas but I think even someone who isn’t typically into these sort of movies could, at the very least, appreciate the performances at hand. That said, there aren’t a lot of people I know who I’d take to it haha

imthesheriff likes this.
  7. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Outside of the film taking up three hours of my day the runtime wasn't an issue for me, I found it to be extremely well-paced and the racing scenes are so gripping that time just seems to fly by. I sadly haven't seen that yet but like those four it is on my watchlist.

8. Morrissey

Trusted

Someone I know still won't talk to me because I made them see Spring Breakers.

9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

They are not worth talking to

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  10. Morrissey

Trusted

I have a couple of situations like that. A friend came with me and my girlfriend to see the Tree of Life, and his date hated the movie and wanted to go home afterward. A relationship ended partially over her incorrect opinion on Melancholia.

11. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

what like an actual real person disliked tree of life but also liked melancholia? I wanna hear about that one.

12. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

with The Lighthouse someone who isn’t a film nerd could at least possibly get through the arthouse aspects by chalking it up to Pattinson’s mental breakdown — that they should know before hand that it’s going to get weird because it’s trying to convey his own deteriorated mental state

I think what would be more difficult for some people would be the impenetrable accents coupled with multiple very long monologues. Maybe wait to show them until you can use subtitles lol

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  13. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Well I'm going tonight with my girlfriend. We'll see how it goes.

14. cshadows2887

If you like Burt Lancaster and Thelma Ritter (I very much do) it's essential. Really great performances.

15. secretsociety92

I haven't seen all that much from either but it is Frankenheimer and me wanting to see his most notable films that has me interested as I find him to be underrated in comparison to other directors from the time.

16. cshadows2887

I think a big part of that seems to be that his career petered off pretty hard once the 70s hit. Though I haven't seen the films, so maybe that impression/consensus is inaccurate.

secretsociety92 likes this.
  17. secretsociety92

Black Sunday and French Connection II are solid, I really like 52-Pick Up but that was a Cannon Film so people assumed it'd be bad because of their reputation and Ronin is superb. It is because of those films that I decided to look into his sixties efforts.

18. cshadows2887

That's really exciting then that there's some gold in his post-peak career.

19. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

Saw Ad Astra recently, felt it was best at exploring the burden of masculinity through a theological lens. The father character seemed to be framed as an uncaring and deistic conception of God that needed to be overcome. Ultimately Pitt‘s character embraces the divine sight of many worlds had by the father but instead of being discouraged or repulsed by it, he sees opportunity and triumph. He comes face to face with the inevitable conclusion of following in his father‘s footsteps and rejects it.

I thought the film built up to this conflict with great intention by moving through humanity‘s failures in jarringly surreal vignettes. From Man vs. Man displayed in the war on the moon to Man vs. Nature with the escaped lab specimens to Man vs Technology in it’s repression of human emotion to deleterious effect.

20. secretsociety92

Finally got round to continuing my John Frankenheimer film run with Seven Days in May which just proves that a political thriller can be all talk and still be thrilling which is primarily down to the great cast, superb script and engrossing plot.

Should be able to watch Birdman of Alcatraz sometime in the week now that I have found a streaming service that has it.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  21. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Doctor Sleep - 9/10

22. secretsociety92

Finally got round to watching Birdman of Alcatraz after @cshadows2887 recommended it and I found the film to be amazing despite prison focused films rarely doing much for me but this more than managed to overcome any reservations I had thanks to the stunning performance by Burt Lancaster, which Frankenheimer got the most out of him just like in Seven Days In May, while the rest of the cast was really great as well. Not my personal favourite film from Frankenheimer but that just comes down to my personal taste as I found there to be nothing wrong with it and everything right with it.

23. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Klaus is hands down the best animated movie of the year IMO. It sucks that it isn't really getting much press because I think it definitely has the potential to be a modern Christmas classic

24. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

25. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Yeah. It kinda feels like they only really promote their big shows like Stranger Things, 13 Reasons Why, BoJack Horseman etc. and just let everything else they release rely on word of mouth to get popularity.