Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Last Movie You Saw, Name & Review Movie • Page 107

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

On average, the Vietnam War probably produced the best films. That isn't to say there aren't great films about other wars, but the particulars of the war lend itself to a more nuanced portrayal in film. Even Saving Private Ryan, one of the most important films ever made, suffers from jingoism.

2. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

That is my favourite in general (looking forward to the 4K Final Cut release by the way) but I only stated a specific decade because of the one I bought that was released in the midst of numerous other films from the same period.

3. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Apocalypse Now is easily my favorite war movie

I mean, how do you top that?

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Come and See

Not Vietnam but it's 80s and amazing.

5. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

The Thin Red Line is my favorite war film and its WWII. I still recognize that Apocalypse Now is excellent, just a preference.

Platoon is probably the best from the 80s, Full Metal Jacket is close though.

Trying to think of good foreign war films. I remember thinking Tai Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War was really great when I saw it but its been a long time.

6. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Apocalypse Now feels like ALOT more than a war movie

7. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

By having Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton mowing down dozens of Nazis?

8. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 10/10

Brother Beck and Dog with a Blog like this.
  9. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Us - 9/10

10. Good Boys was pretty funny. I'd put it behind Booksmart and Long Shot as far as this year's comedies go.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Watching Speed for the first time. Great set pieces, even if the last is unnecessary. Of course the track isn’t finished! Dennis Hopper is fantastic.

What the fuck are the two one liners at the end. “Yeah, but I’m taller?” What the fuck? He lost his head is dumb too. Stupid Whedon

Kingjohn_654 and imthesheriff like this.
  12. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Gotta hear your elaboration of this take

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Now I am watching Point Break for the first time

aoftbsten likes this.
  14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Saw the Miami Vice movie for the first time. Fucked with it other than a couple lulls

15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Also saw The Big Lebowski on the big screen with a packed audience. There was free bowling and a costume contest. First prize went to the guy dressed as the limo driver

16. Morrissey

Trusted

It is the rare film that is treated as an elevated piece of our cultural identity. They show it on cable television and make an exception for the violence. It redefined the way war movies were made. I couldn't even count the times I have seen movies and games copy the muffled sound and vision during combat. It isn't even the best World War II movie of 1998, but its impact and its branches are enormous.

Marx&Recreation, OhTheWater and SpyKi like this.
  17. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

what is the absolute most affecting ww2 film

18. Morrissey

Trusted

The Thin Red Line is the best one, but that is only vaguely about World War II at all. He could have plugged in any war and it would have essentially been the same thing. Letters from Iwo Jima is very powerful, and Saving Private Ryan has some really great parts. The problem with World War II films is that America perceives itself as wholly the hero in the war, and that kind of framing makes less interesting films. The moral ambiguity of the Vietnam War makes for more interesting film.

19. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Come and See is probably my pick.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  20. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

its crazy how immediately America’s foreign policy goes super fucked post ww2

21. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Basterds!!!!

I know it’s fake WWII and not a war movie in terms of genre but still

22. Dog with a Blog

The Thin Red Line is my go to

Your Milkshake likes this.
  23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

war movies is def one of my least favorite genres because of the jingoism and the fact that they tend to be an excuse for people to just make movies with white dudes, as if that's the only people who fight

24. Dog with a Blog

I always forget how good Waking Life is. Fuck.

Serh likes this.
  25. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Has there never been a major film about the Japanese internment camps? Can’t think of any

Though as much as I’d want that, I don’t want some predictably whitewashed Oscar bait, which is probably what we’d end up getting