Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Last Movie You Saw, Name & Review Movie • Page 106

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Midsommar - 7/10

Ari manages to avoid the sophomore slump. I mostly enjoyed this, even if people are making it out to be a way better film than it is. he really does need to do something completely different now before he stagnates tho

The Perfection - 5/10

what...the...fuck

Your Milkshake and xapplexpiex like this.
  2. Snow White and the Huntsman had immersive set designs and spectacular visual effects, but the editing--especially the jarring juxtaposition of slow-mo and quick cuts during the fight scenes--really took me out of it. Also, Charlize's performance was a little too over the top, whereas Kristen's performance was a little too subtle. I get that their characters were like polar opposites to each other, but I felt like they both could've done with a bit more moderation instead of taking it to such extremes. I know they're capable of much better; I blame the director. Since I just saw Maleficent right before this (even though it came out afterward) I kept wondering if it would've been better under Disney supervision. All in all, pretty admirable vision for a debut feature, but then he went on to direct ScarJo's Ghost in the Shell? Yuck.

3. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Interesting. I plan on seeing this eventually though. I haven’t seen any of the recent live-action Disney remakes, so I’m curious.

4. Um, just to clarify, Snow White and the Huntsman was Universal, not Disney. From what I've seen of the recent live-action princesses in general, this was more stylistically ambitious, but Maleficent and Cinderella were more... idk, cohesive. They just felt like fuller experiences narratively and emotionally. I have yet to see Emma's Beauty an the Beast.

5. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Ah, I see. Snow White is still Disney, so I’ll try it lol.

6. That's what I was saying! And people in here were all like, "Well, that certainly is quite an interesting take," as if I was out of my mind!

TEGCRocco likes this.
  7. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Mowgli - 5/10, what a mess of a movie. The scenery and music were excellent, but other than that, nope.

8. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

The Highwaymen (Netflix) - 8/10

Solid movie. It probably helps that I am a huge fan of both of the leads and that this take on the story is right up my alley.

9. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I really sat here for like 20 minutes trying to think of any Disney movie I'd put ahead of it, and I struggled to think of any. Like, Lilo & Stitch is the only one to have actually made me cry (during that whole sequence after Bubbles says he's gonna take Lilo and Nani sings to Lilo/Stitch leaves). Even the "classic sad Disney" scenes didn't do that for me (Mufasa's death, ending of Toy Story 3, beginning of Up etc.), so that alone puts Lilo & Stitch in the upper echelon on Disney. Then just how perfectly everything else was written, acted, animated...

10. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I feel like he already stangnated with act 3 of Heridetary

11. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Does anyone here buy films physically? Just got five more films for my ever-expanding collection and though I feel like I'm part of a minority I'd hate for such a format to die out.

12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I buy Criterion and a select few non-Criterion movies I deeply care about

secretsociety92 likes this.
  13. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I have 167 dvds

14. Just passed 200 DVDs recently. I get most of them from a used book store, though, so I didn't spend an exorbitant amount on them.

Watching Superbad for the first time in 2019 after watching Booksmart was... underwhelming. Maybe it was overhyped nostalgia, maybe it just didn't age well. Wasn't bad, Booksmart is just better in every way. Which is a good thing, right? It's good when movies are better than those that inspired them.

15. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

The only thing I really buy physical anymore is music, though I do own Spider-Verse and Popstar on blu-ray

16. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I collect horror DVDs.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I get Special Editions

18. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I still buy Criterions and select movies I can’t live without, like Mandy or Hereditary

19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

this looks pretty great

angrycandy and secretsociety92 like this.
  20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Harold and Maude was very good. Set design and colors were excellent. Clearly the template for 2000s twee films but much weirder. Some beautiful shots

21. domotime2 Aug 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 4, 2019)
    domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Drop dead gorgeous- 9/10

Man this was a favorite of mine back in the day but I haven't haven't watched it in quite sometime.... I was dying. Crass, dark, different. Hilarious. Love it. What a cast too!

22. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

What is everyone's favourite Vietnam war set film from the eighties? There were plenty of them from that decade and I bought one of them today, Casualties of War, and I think it might well be my favourite of the ones I have seen.

23. Morrissey

Trusted

Platoon is a masterpiece.

OhTheWater likes this.
  24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Born On The Fourth Of July because it's pretty much anti war

25. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Apocalypse Now, but it misses your deadline by a year :P