Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Last Movie You Saw, Name & Review Movie • Page 103

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It ruled! I still haven’t seen Green Room but this and Murder Party were so good. I love Macon Blair.

3. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Green Room is fantastic

local_corn likes this.
  4. username

hey you lil piss baby

Yeah Green Room is sick

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I know I know

6. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

so is Hold the Dark

*ducks*

Brother Beck and username like this.
  7. airik625 May 26, 2019
    (Last edited: May 26, 2019)
    airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Really enjoyed both Blue Ruin and Green Room. Been meaning to check out Murder Party.

local_corn likes this.
  8. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

The Beach Bum - I thought this one was hilarious. I’ve seen people say it’s his most accessible movie, and maybe it is, but that’s like everyone who said that Climax is Noe’s most accessible - technically true, perhaps, but all the trademarks are still there.

Gummo - Loved some of it, hated a lot of it. Probably the common reaction. That whole arm and chair wrestling scene was pretty incredible, as were the tap dancing and bathtub spaghetti scenes.

Mistress America - Why I put off watching this for so long is beyond me, but holy shit, what an underrated gem from Baumbach and Gerwig. I didn’t find it quite as poignant as Frances Ha, but I actually thought it was overall a step up, and Frances Ha is one of my favorites. I loved how fucking ridiculous it got in the second half. I’m surprised this movie isn’t talked about more

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! - A lot to like in this movie if you can get past the premise. I couldn’t. I’m looking forward to seeing more Almodóvar movies though.

angrycandy and SpyKi like this.
  9. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Call Me By Your Name - This was beautiful and I don't think I'll ever forget the absolutely perfect uses of Sufjan; i finally lost it when the credits started to roll.

secretsociety92 and SpyKi like this.
  10. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Little Shop of Horrors (1986) - Is this a well known movie? I never hear people mention it by name, but a lot of quotes from it were extremely familiar - "feed me, seymour," and "I'm just a mean green mother," for starters. Having watched this and Rocky Horror for the first time only in the last year, I actually think I preferred Little Shop of Horrors in spite of some the questionable 1980s racial casting. Sure, the songs may not be quite as good as the best from Rocky Horror, but the frenetic energy and the "what the fucks" that were elicited from me scene after scene really made my first viewing slightly more memorable, but we'll see how I feel after I revisit both next October. Fantastic cast all-around, but Steve Martin really does steal the show - the gas mask scene is hands down one of the funniest death scenes I've seen in recent memory. Reading about the director's cut makes me sad that the original ending wasn't included, as I think it would've driven the whole point of the story home a little better, although the ending we got wasn't bad by any means. Anyway, this was hilarious and I need to seek out more musicals with a satirical bent.

11. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I just watched Hold The Dark last night, and I thought it was great.

12. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I’ve always been puzzled by the middling reaction, was one of my favorites of last year. The shootout scene is so intense.

Brother Beck likes this.
  13. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Going to be able to tick off a couple more films I have always wanted to see at the cinema next month as I have booked tickets for both The Matrix and Jaws.

14. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

The entire buildup to the shootout and the shootout itself was all so incredibly tense and well done. Expertly crafted, and not played for excitement or action. Absolutely stunning, powerful performances loaded with subtle details from Julian Black Antelope, James Badge Dale & Jeffrey Wright during this entire sequence.

15. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

All That Jazz - I think I would have enjoyed this even more if I hadn't known it was autobiographical, but within that context, I couldn't help but view a lot of it as a self-absorbed justification for Fosse's treatment of others. However, as self-indulgent and self-absorbed as it is, it was technically stunning, full of some of the coolest editing I've seen in recent memory, with powerful imagery and memorable dance numbers. There was a lot going on, and I'm excited to watch it again; overall, I think I really loved this one.

"We take you everywhere, but get you nowhere."

16. Morrissey

Trusted

63 Up came out this month in England. Every seven years, the documentary interviews the same 14 people, starting at the age of 7. It seems like there is nothing to it; indeed, it can be aimless at times, but it has turned into a great work of empathy and an examination of the similarities and differences in our experiences. This was the first one where one of the cast members has died, and as painful as it is, the cancer in a second cast member seems to be leading to a similar end. It will be interesting to see how long it goes on. 70 Up? 77 Up? It is like a high school reunion, but more varied and engaging.

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  17. Dog with a Blog

I didn’t realize the next iteration of that came out. Definitely need to see that.

I watched The Last Black Man in San Francisco the other day and it was very good, especially for a directorial debut.

18. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Whoa, I was not aware of this, but it sounds fascinating.

19. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Tonight, I’m going to watch either The King of Comedy or The Edge of Seventeen (the former if I’m still awake enough when I get home from work at 11pm, the latter if I’m a little sleepy), but tomorrow the real fun begins: I am going to work my way through John Cassavetes’ filmography. I haven’t seen a single one of his movies.

20. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I saw a Husbands screening in Paris a couple weeks ago. I like thinking about it more than I liked it.

The 7 Up series is great but I haven’t seen the last couple.

I rewatched Under the Skin today for the first time since theaters and still think it’s magnificent

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  21. username

hey you lil piss baby

Every Cassavetes film I’ve seen (most of them) is good to basically perfect. Opening Night is an especially special film imo.

22. wisdomfordebris Jun 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 18, 2019)
    wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Anyone wanna do a Chorus.fm Cassavetes Marathon?!

23. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

The King of Comedy - I need to up my Scorsese game! This was an almost entirely pitch-black comedy that offered more unease and terror than levity; frequently, there would be a scene that would make me extremely uncomfortable and I wouldn't even spot the humor until it had passed, and only then would I laugh. Shades of Misery and maybe even Badlands in how the media rewards sensation and charisma, regardless of the crime. That's not to say Rupert was charismatic; Rupert was awkward and delusional, but there was something to pity in that, and his lust for fame - to be even bigger than Jerry - was but an product of Scorsese's America; Rupert's actions were but the the next logical step in a society that idolizes celebrities, to the point of learning mundane details of their lives and tracking their routine. The dinner table scene with Sandra Bernhard might actually be one of the best things I've ever seen, and it's a perfect distillation of this entire film: dark, funny as hell, and really fucking scary.

OhTheWater and SpyKi like this.
  24. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

The King of Comedy is so good. Definitely positively surprised me when I watched it.

25. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I think it's only my fourth Scorsese movie and only the second from what most would consider his prime?