Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Last Movie You Saw, Name & Review Movie • Page 100

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. TedSchmosby

Trusted

What age are your students

2. Morrissey

Trusted

High school. 15-17. I will risk rated R as long as the nudity and sexuality is kept to a minimum.

3. Dog with a Blog

Lol, Mac and Me.

4. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

That seems.... like it could get you in trouble

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I have my kids and their parents sign a syllabus at the beginning of the year that states that films/material covered in class may contain adult themes or language. I taught The Body and showed Stand By Me (in addition to cursing on a regular basis) and have never had an issue. I just saw in the news that some teacher is in trouble for showing "This is America" to their students, which I did and have yet to face any sort of repercussions. I've had more kids come and tell me they went home and showed their parents which caused them to have discussions about the meaning of the video.

I'm in the process of developing an elective course next year that focuses on Outsider Art/Rebellion in Film/Literature/Music that will pretty much exclusively deal with mature texts.

6. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

All of that is awesome and I hope it continues to work well for yall

Ill just never be surprised at the bigotry and prude-ness of the average person in this country

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Imo it depends on the relationship between teacher/student. I taught at a relatively conservative Catholic grade school in the suburbs and would regularly incorporate music with pretty mature themes into the lesson plans. By developing a level of trust and maturity when dealing with language/violence/drug use or whatever, it allows you to legitimize the material. I always had arguments ready in the event that I were to be questioned, but it never happened.

Dodger and imthesheriff like this.
  8. Morrissey

Trusted

The students didn't find Monty Python and the Holy Grail funny and made me turn off Mac and Me.

9. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Im guessing Mac and Me hasnt aged well hahaha

Its basically a bastardized ET but for like exclusively a young audience, is it not?

10. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I am very jealous you get to teach that. We don't offer a single English elective at our school and it kills me. I want to teach, like, 90's Hip-Hop and Harlem Renaissance Poetry or something.

11. Dog with a Blog

It’s like an hour and a half commercial for McDonald’s

12. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

^^^

that sounds great

13. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I don’t trust people who don’t find Monty Python funny.

secretsociety92 likes this.
  14. Dog with a Blog

My friends and I got really drunk last year and watched it. I remember next to nothing, but god damn do I remember this

Oh, I will say, the music and production design in Mac and Me are actually fairly decent. Like, surprisingly so

15. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

We watched Holy Grail in one of my classes in college and nobody laughed. Awful experience.

domotime2 and Dog with a Blog like this.
  16. Dog with a Blog

Damn. I watched Holy Grail as a little kid and almost peed my pants from laughing so hard lol. Haven’t seen it in many years though

17. Morrissey

Trusted

A few of the eccentric kids appreciate Monty Python, but the vast majority don't get it. They though the Black Knight part was funny, but that was it.

18. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Watched dirty dancing for the first time

What the hell was going on in this movie?? This was one of those "how have you never seen that movie" type of movie, and I had always assumed I knew the plot based off clips and songs and references but I was way wrong. I'm not necessarily sure what the movie was about. Everyone likes ballroom dancing?

19. secretsociety92 May 28, 2018
    (Last edited: May 28, 2018)
    secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

A Ghost Story - 5/10
    Despicable Me 3 - 5.5/10
    Wind River - 9/10
    Mad Max: Fury Road* - 9.5/10
    The Mummy (2017) - 2/10
    Blade Runner 2049* - 10/10
    Black Panther - 8.5/10
    Alien: Covenant - 3.5/10
    Once Upon a Time in America - 9.5/10
    Detroit - 9/10

Dick Tracy (1990) - 6.5/10
    A Time to Kill - 8/10
    Game Night - 8/10
    In Between - 8.5/10
    Absolute Power - 6/10
    Rules Don’t Apply - 8/10
    Denial (2016) - 9/10

Copycat* - 8/10
    Beach Rats - 9/10
    A Bridge Too Far - 8/10
    God’s Own Country - 10/10
    I Am Not a Witch - 7/10
    Flatliners (2017) - 1.5/10
    Alex Cross - 0.5/10
    Reds - 9/10
    A Cure for Wellness - 7.5/10
    Ready Player One - 8/10
    The Death of Stalin - 9/10
    Backdraft* - 7/10
    Once Upon a Time in the West - 9/10
    Alone in Berlin - 6.5/10
    Heaven Can Wait - 6/10
    The Hurricane Heist - 3/10
    The House (2017) - 1.5/10
    Call Me by Your Name - 10/10
    A Quiet Place - 8.5/10

Ghost Stories - 8/10
    Love, Simon - 9.5/10
    The Dark Tower - 4/10
    The Duellists - 7.5/10
    Avengers: Infinity War - 9/10
    Angel Heart - 8/10
    Bulworth - 8/10
    Big Eyes - 7/10
    All the President’s Men - 9/10
    Network - 8/10
    House on Haunted Hill (1959) - 6/10
    The Fury* - 8/10
    Highlander - 6.5/10
    Cosmopolis - 4.5/10
    Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - 6.5/10
    Catfight - 9/10
    Superman* - 8/10
    Superman II* - 7.5/10
    Superman III - 3.5/10
    Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - 1/10
    Deadpool 2 - 8/10
    The Host (2006) - 7/10

* = Rewatch

Since I am no longer in work and have time to waste here is everything I have watched from February 6th through to May 26th. The ones in bold are the films I watched for the first time that I either enjoyed the most or was surprised by and even though I can't give my opinions on all the films I have seen between the dates I mentioned (as that would take forever) I will say this, LGBT cinema is so great right now and in part thanks to the films I saw that tackled LGBT issues is why I was able to come out.

Joel and dadbolt like this.
  20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I went and saw Beast tonight. Never saw a trailer or any promotional material for it. All I had going in was a very vague one-sentence synopsis, so I had no clue what to expect. Really enjoyed it. Interesting lead character, well acted and it had a genuine mysterious side to it that wasn't dependant on shocking twists and turns. It has an overall theme of gaining self-agency that was well executed.

21. Dog with a Blog

I don’t know why but I just remembered that Waking Life exists and how great it is. That is definitely one I need to own on Blu-Ray

angrycandy likes this.
  22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

God damn, I just watched Bicycle Thieves for the first time. Pretty much the entire runtime I had it in the back of my head that everything would be resolved and it'd be a hokey, old time movie. I was not expecting it to end so abruptly and depressing. Damn. I'm honestly surprised I hadn't spoiled it for myself at some point throughout my life

Victor Eremita likes this.
  23. username

hey you lil piss baby

Welcome to Italian Neo-Realism haha

24. Morrissey

Trusted

Rome Open City and Umberto D. should be your next steps.

25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I’m visiting Rome in a week so that’ll be my next step!