Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Last Chance U (Netflix) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jul 21, 2017.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

S2 out now y'all!

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lol I love how self conscious Buddy is about cursing in this first ep

3. I actually just watched the first episode of season 1 tonight. It's good

4. HalfHearted

Regular

Thought season 1 was great, too many shows coming out, I don't know what the watch first.

5. Night Channels

Trusted

Dakota Allen is the perfect example of why some of these kids should get another chance.

De'Andre Johnson on the other hand...

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Jesus Christ I did not expect them to show that video at the beginning of episode 2

7. The episode where they filmed at that 0-7 school was great. I liked getting another team's perspective.

I have no idea how Miss Wagner can do that job. I would not have the patience.

8. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

If I don't really like football or sports in general might I still enjoy this?

9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I'd say yes

10. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

11. Only 2 eps in but I'd say give it a shot. While it (obviously) revolves around a football team, it's not so much about the football itself but the relationships and stories behind the players

12. This dude is legendary

[​IMG]

Night Channels likes this.
  13. StepsInADance

so much for them! Prestigious

as someone who also isnt too into sports i say yes, but then again im kind of a sucker for sports docs even though ive never been into watching sports.

14. DooDooBird

Trusted

Glad there's a thread about this show. It's fantastic!

15. Finished the season. Ms Wagner is the best. Love what she ended up doing.

RJ Knorr likes this.
  16. DooDooBird

Trusted

I don't know if it's because I just watched it, but I feel like Season 2 had a lot more dislikable people than Season 1.

Kam Carter and Isiah Wright in particular were absolutely unbearable. Fuck those dudes. Buddy Stephens continues to be the same asshole from season one.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Isaiah had a pretty tragic upbringing, no? I mean I didn't finish the season and he's had some issues with the fact that his concussion is sidelining him, but I can see where the anger is coming from

18. Night Channels

Trusted

Wright grew up in foster care, which I'm sure was very difficult. That doesn't excuse some of his outbursts that were caught on film.

He's a very selfish individual and that is magnified in the second season. It's why he ended up at a Divison II program like West Georgia. It's too risky to take a chance on the kind of player/person that only cares about his own success.

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Like I said, I haven't finished the season yet but did see a few of his more emotional/angry moments so far. Just from prior experience working with kids who come from similar backgrounds, I don't think it's fair to call him selfish or "unbearable". In no way could I put myself in his shoes and the horrible shit that he went through. As he states, football was his way to make something of himself, to escape his past and to make good for himself and for his brother. While not properly directed, I think his anger and frustration regarding not being able to play is justified.

20. Night Channels

Trusted

How is it unfair to call him what he is? I didn't say he was unbearable, but he is most certainly a selfish player.

His upbringing probably has something to do with that, but there's no excuse for an adult to act like that. He is not a kid. He is 21-22 years old having tantrums because someone is looking out for his well-being.

Football is an escape and a way out for a lot of boys, especially those that come from very little. I saw it every day when I was teaching and coaching, and I still see it every day now that I'm just coaching.

It's okay for him to be upset about getting injured and not being able to play, but the comments he makes towards his teammates and coaches are selfish. Again, it's why he ended up a Division II program instead of a major program.

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Again, I think that calling it tantrums is a bit belittling considering his circumstances. He's not an entitled, snotty boy handled with kid gloves his entire life. I've encountered plenty of them as well. I viewed the breakdowns as complete and utter frustration with the fact that he has nothing and views his life as meaningless without the game. It seems to be the only time he was treated with love/respect growing up, and not being able to play takes everything away from him.

I completely understand how he'd be viewed as a liability on the field/locker room and don't blame coaches on not taking the chance on him, but I definitely find it more tragic than annoying or unbearable.

22. It's impossible to say what really happened because we saw the story the producers wanted to show, but to me it came across almost like Buddy was antagonizing him for not being able to perform while injured. He handled it poorly but I could see why he got so frustrated.

23. DooDooBird

Trusted

He did have a tough time for sure. But I don't think that gives him a pass for being incredibly selfish throughout the show. His meltdown in the lockeroom near the beginning of the season was pitiful. Like, dude. Just sit out the second half... relax. My god.

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Again, I think the show did a pretty good job at humanizing him in the leadup to showing his breakdown. To simplify it to him simply being selfish is missing the point, a bit

25. DooDooBird

Trusted

Dakota Allen seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Always cooperative and soft spoken. Glad he got another chance at Texas Tech.

Also, I found De'Andre to be one of my favorites this season. Most of these dudes were total clowns, but De'Andre was very upbeat and positive. Showed good leadership and was respectful to his coaches and administrators. Seems like the coaching staff and miss Wagner were impressed by him. After watching this season, I was kind of surprised a power 5 team didn't offer, but that video of him at the bar goes a long way.