Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Last Album You Listened To, Name & Review (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by GettingSodas, Mar 7, 2016.

1. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

Whatca jammin'?

2. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

cymbals eat guitars - why there are mountains 9/10
    cymbals eat guitars - lenses alien 9/10

3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Pinegrove Cardinal- 9/10 such a fresh sound. Really love this lp. Listened to it 4 times today

4. Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones 7/10

Working my way through his discography for the first time. I would put this one pretty solidly ahead of Sleep Is for the Week and Poetry of the Deed, but still not on the same level as Love, Ire & Song. "Peggy Sang the Blues" and "One Foot Before the Other" are the standout tracks for me so far.

5. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

sorry to bump this thread but

Fireworks - Oh, Common Life 10/10

I could say some things but nothing I said would be enough

Aaron Mook and felipecardel like this.
  6. The Wonder Years - No Closer to Heaven
    6/10

Used to love this band, and I'm always excited to hear new music from them, but man, this one is just half-baked the whole way through. There's more of a raw, straightforward alt-rock feel to some of these songs (similar to moments on The Greatest Generation) but the melodies here are easily their weakest. The album might be a bit stronger as a 10-song collection ommiting the filler ("The Bluest Things on Earth," "I Wanted So Badly to Be Brave") and one genuinely bad track "Stained Glass Ceilings"). On top of that, Dan's new habit of sounding like he's crying anytime he sings can be tough to get through. They do try some cool things with the keyboard and vocal arrangements on this album, and they've written some great melodies in the past, so I'm confident they can do it again if they find a strong direction for the new record.

7. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

i agree word for word 10/10 review

8. HemisphereHybrid

One Hit Wonder

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

No doubt one of the best thrash metal albums of all time, challenged only by Metallica's Master of Puppets. It's the defining masterclass of Megadeth's catalogue and the pinnacle of their songwriting abilities. But anyone who knows the album knows this already.

9. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
    8.5/10

I have a nostalgic connection to this one because it's the first Wilco record I ever heard. I bought a copy after seeing them perform "Hate It Here" and "Walkin'" on Saturday Night Live, which I would now actually consider two of the weaker tracks on the album (although they're still really fun). It does border on adult-contemporary (or, in the words of Pitchfork, "dad-rock") at times, but overall I think this is an underrated Wilco album for its simple, Beatles-esque melodies. "Either Way" and "On and On and On" are excellent opening/closing tracks, "Impossible Germany" is an all-timer, and in general, the more somber songs here ("Sky Blue Sky," "Please Be Patient With Me" and "Leave Me Like You Found Me") lend to some really strong moments. I probably wouldn't recommend this over Yankee Hotel Foxtrot for people looking to get into the band, but I would recommend giving it a fair shake if you enjoy their poppier/more traditional songwriting.

Elder Lightning likes this.
  10. Bumping this thread because I forgot it existed and almost remade it lol

11. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

The best Wilco record.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. Elder Lightning likes this.
  13. Listening to Circa Survive's Descensus now, will report back

Elder Lightning likes this.
  14. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

If anyone disagrees I’ll just put on the guitar solo / instrumental section of “Impossible Germany” and rest my case.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  15. Travis Scott - Utopia
    5/10

Sounds great, but it's all style, borderline negative substance

16. Last: Coral Sea - If Memory Serves Me
    8.5, recommended in the ambient thread, I like it a lot

Current: Carly Rae Jepsen - E•MO•TION
    10, it's a 10, I dunno what to tell ya