Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lana Del Rey Says Radiohead Are Suing Her

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Lana Del Rey has confirmed on Twitter that Radiohead are suing her over “Get Free” apparently sounding too much like “Creep:”

It’s true about the lawsuit. Although I know my song wasn’t inspired by Creep, Radiohead feel it was and want 100% of the publishing – I offered up to 40 over the last few months but they will only accept 100. Their lawyers have been relentless, so we will deal with it in court.

2. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Radiohead treats "Creep" exactly how I treat my favorite sports teams. I hate them, but god dammit, I'm the only one allowed to hate them.

David Parke, Robk, aniafc and 6 others like this.
  3. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I made the mistake of reading that Twitter thread. Fuck, I don't miss Twitter at all.

David Parke and cosmickid like this.
  4. TDenverFan

Regular

I get why she would offer 40%, but I get why Radiohead turned it down. I doubt it's really about the money, whereas it's more about the principle of the matter

5. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

As underwhelming as Lana Del Rey is to me, I just listened to the song. While the song's intro has similarities to Creep for sure, I think her offer of 40% was pretty damn fair. Just my two cents.

fenway89 and skogsraet like this.
  6. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

I'd be surprised if this doesn't settle pretty quickly, likely before any motion practice.

David Parke and Jonathan like this.
  7. shawnhyphenray

Regular

They do sound very very similar, but I highly doubt she ripped them off. It's a very simple and basic melody/progression

8. Stevangelion

We Can (Not) Make It Alone.

Sounds way too similar. I’d do the same thing. These days I don’t put it past Pop artist and producers stealing other works just for the attention. There is no new low these days.

9. :eyeroll:

fenway89 likes this.
  10. Fucking Dustin

I honestly don’t understand the premise of lawsuits like this though. Radiohead hate “Creep” so it’s not like they wanna protect the “integrity of the song”, and if Lana did somehow rip it off, is her song really eating into “Creep” sales somehow?

Either way I don’t see Lana sitting there listening to Creep and going “hey here’s an idea”

11. Fucking Dustin

Wait wait wait

Didn’t Radiohead get sued over writing “Creep”?!

David Parke and skogsraet like this.
  12. Sal Mastrocola

Making Music in Gatto Black

Definitely a similar chord progression, but it's a common chord progression. This feels like an overreach on Radiohead's part to me.

fenway89 and Aaron Mook like this.
  13. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Yep.

14. Orville

I would say this is closer to creep than creep is to the air that i breathe.

David Parke likes this.
  15. This is also strange considering Sam Smith was accused of the same thing last year, which makes me think they're maybe just sick of it and doing this to make a point? Not sure what that point would be though considering the above information about the relationship between "Creep" and "The Air That I Breathe."

I love Radiohead, but come on, guys.

fenway89 likes this.
  16. zachmacD

Trusted

In similar news, the set list for Lana’s tour is pretty awesome and on set list.fm if anyone’s interested. I’m excited to see her in a couple weeks

fenway89, Turkeylegz and David Parke like this.
  17. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

its a rip off. money will switch hands. no big deal.. it's pop music.

18. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

I mean "Creep" is a terrible song anyway... Lana's song is much better.

fenway89 and Fucking Dustin like this.
  19. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I honestly neeeever hear the similarities when these things come about, but I listened to this song for the first time when I heard this and pretty much immediately was like okay yeah yep. It sounds ridiculously similar. Not saying that she purposely did it or anything like that, but you can't deny the similarities.

20. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Lotta bad takes on pop music.

fenway89 and skogsraet like this.
  21. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I'd add, LDR is hardly some pop star with a big team of ghost writers behind her (no disrespect meant to them either), so it seems an especially odd circumstance to lob that dumb grenade in the discussion.

fenway89 likes this.
  22. fenway89 likes this.