Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lamb (Valdimar Jóhannsson; October 8, 2021) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by blast0rama, Jul 27, 2021.

1. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

Stars Noomi Rapace. Lots of buzz coming out of Cannes on this one.

It's A24, so for some, that's all you need to know.

coleslawed and oncenowagain like this.
  2. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Looks nuts

I’m in

3. Dope

4. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

looks great

5. flask

Trusted Supporter

What the hell
    Yeah I’m in

6. This looks so A24 lol

jkauf and angrycandy like this.
  7. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

This looks fascinating!

8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

coleslawed and chewbacca110 like this.
  10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This looks properly effed up - so in

11. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it looks like a Mean Lamb

12. OotyPa

fall away

So here for the rise/resurgence of vegan horror lol.

13. Morrissey

Trusted

Mostly aimless.

14. angrycandy

well that's unfortunate to hear

15. Morrissey

Trusted

It isn't really "about" anything, and the left turn at the end is hilarious because you don't really have an investment in the characters. There is a lot that is suggested but never explored. I was excited when I saw that Bela Tarr produced this, but it doesn't have the same appeals to emotion.

It isn't a bad movie, but to quote someone else, it is barely a movie. It ends at the second act.

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  16. angrycandy

had no clue about Bela Tarr producing it either

kind of makes you wonder what he saw in it (assuming it truly is as empty as you suggest)

17. Morrissey

Trusted

Producers are always a mixed bag. It isn't like this movie cost a ton of money; Rapace is somewhat well known but she is also a producer. 90 percent of the budget probably went toward the kid.

angrycandy likes this.
  18. Morrissey

Trusted

I should confess that I was already in a bad mood because I lost my mask on the way there so I had to buy one for almost 11 dollars and then the butter dispenser didn't work so the popcorn was subpar.

19. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Yeah didn’t like this much. Just kinda slow and uninteresting. Special effects were properly unsettling tho

20. Morrissey

Trusted

The matter-of-fact way they introduce Lamb Girl was so absurd that it was kind of funny.

21. michael_gatto

Trusted

I guess I'm in the minority, I thought this was good. I thought it was very sweet. Beautiful to look at too.

22. radiodead Oct 14, 2021
    (Last edited: Oct 14, 2021)
    radiodead

Trusted

Pretty bad! I’ll expand.

Feels like a bad movie in sheep’s clothing tbh. Looks great, the Icelandic scenery does a lot of heavy lifting and there are decent performances. The main problems lie in the pacing, plot structure (the chapters are pointless), and central imagery. It’s underwritten and really relies on how much you can care about a sheep-child…..which I don’t.

when I saw the trailer I was like oh damn this might be A24’s jump the shark moment. It’s surprising they even picked the distribution rights up to this film considering how on the nose it is as an A24 film. It almost comes off as parody if you watch the trailer, fortunately the movie plays out slightly better than that and never dips into abysmal territory.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

radiodead likes this.
  24. J12

Trusted Supporter

I thought this was fine, albeit a little on the disappointing end. The performances, as restrained and understated as they were, were good. The kid was cute but also unsettling, which is obviously what they were going for. The build to the "monster" didn't really go much of anywhere, and it seemed kind of inherently clear what was coming.

I thought it was kind of a cute, simple cautionary tale of humans taking what isn't theirs to take.

michael_gatto likes this.
  25. Morrissey

Trusted

The parable of man interfering with nature is very old, but usually the characters are being punished for their hubris. Dr. Frankenstein created the monster, and more recently the couple in Splice created Dren. What sin did the couple commit? They did nothing out of the ordinary to conceive the Lamb Girl, and what else were they supposed to do with it? Kill it? Leave it in the barn like the other lambs? I feel like the ram-man would have been even angrier about those options. He doesn't appear to know that the mother was killed either. Thus, the punishment put upon the couple is for trying to be loving, albeit creepy, surrogate parents.