Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lady Gaga – “Perfect Illusion”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. angrycandy Sep 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 9, 2016)
    angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

how is it

edit: not for me. god, that chorus is grating

3. kait_whiteside

Love the verses. The chorus, not so much. It's grown on me since the first listen, but still isn't my favorite.
    Side note: I have this really terrible habit of zoning in on parts of songs that sound like other songs. When I heard her sing "it was a perfect illusion" my mind immediately went to "I'm keepin' my baby" from Papa Don't Preach, and now I can't un-hear the similarities (which is unfortunate, since that line comprises most of the song).

4. DearCory

Regular

Not her best lead single, but I enjoy it. I'm really anxious to hear where she goes with this album...

5. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Eh, it's OK. I want her to have a huge comeback with some real jams like her early stuff.

heymattrick likes this.
  6. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Same here man. Gaga is one of the few pop stars that I am always curious to hear what direction they're heading.

7. Punk Out

We think it's amazing! Definitely a throwback vibe. Her rough vocals are unique in today's crystal clear pop production. Good change of pace from her last LP.

8. somethingwitty Sep 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 9, 2016)
    somethingwitty

Trusted

I'm actually really feeling this...you can def hear the Tame Impala influence in the synths, only wish the guitar was a little higher in the mix, Ronson is playing a fun little riff in there.

Also, apparently Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age and Florence Welch will both be on the album. It's pretty refreshing to see her doing a gimmick-less rock influenced sound. Really hoping her live show will be stripped down and more guitar-driven than her last few tours.

Edit: Apparently that's Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age playing guitar on Perfect Illusion, and Mark Ronson confirmed Father John Misty, Beck, and Florence Welch are on the album.

9. kait_whiteside

I agree on the guitar being higher in the mix. I know the emphasis should be on Gaga's vocals because it's her song, but there are too many talented musicians on this track for the rest of the music to get relegated to the background.

Edit: Gaga is obviously also a talented musician. I hope my comment didn't come across as implying the others were somehow "better" than her, because she's amazing in her own right.

10. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Hoping it grows one me a bit.

11. Rushmore33

Mark Ronson, Kevin Parker, Josh Homme....and still bland as hell. How?

beachdude42 and Fox83 like this.
  12. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah, extremely disappointed in this considering the people involved.

13. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Still excited for the album/interested in this direction but yeah this one is a bit flat

14. heymattrick

Sending my love

Definitely growing on me after several listens, but damn I need a song that hits like Bad Romance stat

15. Rodrigo Leonardo

Yaaaaay! I'm so glad Gaga's back!

I can already imagine myself dancing to that song at parties! If there's anything I didn't like about it is that I had hoped Gaga would come back with a more positive and meaningful song (OK, maybe I was expecting a "Born This Way, Part II"), but let's wait and see about the next songs!