Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lady Bird (Greta Gerwig; November 10, 2017) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Aug 31, 2017.

1. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

She was in Atonement and I hated her for a long time after that, just because of her character.

jkauf likes this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I think she was handled pretty perfectly. My favorite part of the film, and I think further explanation could’ve been heavy handed

I Am Mick likes this.
  3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I really enjoyed this. The relationship between Lady Bird and her mother, as I said before, was the highlight. Saoirse was wonderful. I think the mother’s guilt over not being able to have the career/house of her dreams and being embarassed and not wanting her daughter to be ashamed and push away, which she did, was really powerful. While I did sympathize with Lady Bird, I certainly felt more for her mother. The ending scenes at the airport, the letters and Lady Bird driving were all pretty crushing. I enjoyed that there was no real resolution between LB and her best friend. I felt the subplot of her ditching her friends to be cool/rich was a little played out

I drew a lot of parallels between this and "The Edge of Seventeen" in terms of coming of age, female centered films, and I honestly preferred Edge, I think. Idk why that film didn't garner more attention

incognitojones likes this.
  4. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

yeah. the scene with the mother touching on her own background with her mother, and then the scene between her and the theater teacher, were great

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

One Review Brings the Lady Bird Rotten Tomatoes Score Down to 99%

Funnily enough, Smithey actually gave Lady Bird a “B-” — not an overly negative review by any means, but apparently enough for Rotten Tomatoes to tilt the scales and push Lady Bird down to 99%. Smithey is evidently a very particular film critic, having notably given both Dunkirk and Wonder Woman an “F” earlier this year.

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The religious aspect of the film is one I need to spend more time with. As someone who went to a single-sex private Catholic HS, I really enjoyed a lot of the small quirks included in the film. Not that I am a religious person, but I also respected the fact that the institution was not completely disregarded/mocked throughout the film. That would've been a pretty easy move, rather than the more subtle observations and jabs. What did everyone make of the climactic final moments of the film taking place in the church? Lady Bird was not shown to be a religious person, so why did the revelation happen there? I'm spinning around the idea of a parallel between pushing away her mother/her home and then yearning for the mundane nature of drives around Sacramento and finding solace in the familiar, and also completely boring and mundane, ritual of church.

incognitojones likes this.
  7. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I just think that she’s new in the big city across the country with no familiarity or the structure she’s used to. Even when I was a senior in HS I yearned to break out on my own. But during my first semester of college, I wasn’t in a city and only a 90 minute drive from my hometown yet finding myself going back home a lot of times on the weekend just to ground my brain back to familiar territory.

8. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Haha a B- is in no way a bad grade. Still 100% in my eyes.

9. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

that wouldn't even qualify as a Rotten review in Rotten Tomatoes standards, not sure why it was counted as that (granted, i haven't read his entire review)

10. I think you just articulated why I like Edge of Tomor--I mean, Seventeen slightly more. I might need to rewatch to confirm, but I feel like it spent more time with its side characters and their relationships.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The passage of time in this film is certainly a strong point, but I do agree that certain characters appear to be meaningful and then drop off completely, and I don't believe that that can be explained away as a metaphor for real life's comings and goings. The priest character was so weird to me. Him crying during the drama activity and him saying "they didn't get it" or w/e after the horrible high school show elicited a pretty big laugh out of me, then you see him again in mental health counseling.

12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Critics choose whether to file their reviews as fresh or rotten, I believe.

13. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

really? that's interesting. and interesting as to why he'd give it a B- yet file it as Rotten. (did he just want to be the one to take away the 100% rating?)

14. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Toy Story 2 is really the best movie of all time

15. Jake Gyllenhaal

Better than Back to the Future? Yea right.

16. Dog with a Blog

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

18. Nathan

Yep.

The Value Of Rotten Tomatoes As A Source For Movie Reviews

19. domotime2

Is back to the future 100% on rotten tomatoes?

20. Jake Gyllenhaal

96% but only because a few critics are pretentious buttholes

21. Ya, dude filed it as Rotten to be a dick.

22. Nathan

Been campaigning hard for "rotten tomatoes is bad stop giving it power" forever. dude essentially lied about how he feels about a movie he liked fine because he didn't like that everyone else liked it too for some reason.

OhTheWater likes this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

It is the fault of Rotten Tomatoes, not the reviewer. It is easy to see why he might feel the need to do that if you actually believed in the score in any meaningful way.

OhTheWater likes this.
  24. domotime2

Haha No I know I was kidding. That link said toy story 2 was one of a handful of movies with 100% perfect.

Bttf #1 in my book

25. domotime2

And who cares if one reviewer gave it a b-/rotten