Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lady Bird (Greta Gerwig; November 10, 2017) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Dog with a Blog

Oh, definitely not the movie’s fault at all. We just have these expectations based on what’s been hammered into our heads for years. I heard some snickering when she got on stage and was sort of confused cause it wasn’t funny, but at the same time like, I get it. We’re pretty much trained to think overweight = bumbling.

domotime2 likes this.
  2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

The football coach calling plays for the theater group might have been one of the funniest scenes this year.

schlotty, cshadows2887, Serh and 4 others like this.
  3. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I’m on the bus to see this now and I’m going to be 10 minutes late, afterward can someone tell me what I missed

CarpetElf likes this.
  4. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This was even better after seeing it again

"Who loses their virginity while on top?!"

5. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Really enjoyed this and the performances all around were terrific. It also helps that I was roughly the same age as Lady Bird during this time period, I was a freshman in college the year she was a senior in HS. The post-9/11 environment, the music choices, and overall look was nearly spot-on.

6. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

After seeing this a couple of weeks ago, all I’ve been able to think about is how much I want to see it again. A rare feeling.

7. Morrissey

Trusted

This was very good. Too often films rely on sentimentality without earning it, but when the movie really wants you to feel it earns it. There is a warmth between characters that we very rarely see in movies, and is sometimes something that is really only seen in long-running television shows. The comparisons to Boyhood reinforce this, as in that film the cast had literally grown up together, but in a more contained space here they manage much of the same thing. The film takes many of the same cliched plotlines of so many of these movies but deals with them in a way a real teenager and a real family would act, which for some reason is one of the hardest things for movies to get right, mostly because it is usually writers in their fifties trying to get an actor in their late twenties to recreate something that never existed.

The film rapidly fires with side characters, just like we have many people that come in and out of our lives. However, a few times it seems unfinished or bizarre. The drama teacher has rumors about personal tragedy, breaks down in the classroom, and disappears. Alone, this could serve to be a way for Lady Bird to learn about adult weakness and some empathy, but they bring him back for a scene with the mother that mentions his trauma but then nothing happens. It seems like something was either cut or they went too far. Sometimes there are characters where you wish you would see more of them, such as the nun who defies our stereotypes of the profession. These are minor issues, though, and they are an indication of how good the overall film is.

Gerwig is obviously influenced by Baumbach, but she gets to the emotional moments more sincerely than Baumbach's more cold approach. She is able to take some of the corniest music from the era (we all suffered through Dave Matthews back then) and center it in a very tangible time and place. There is a little of Godard's Breathless in the romance scenes, but there is also a lot of similarity to the films of Kenneth Lonergan, particularly Margaret, and the way the film kept moving with such speed and trusting the audience to be able to go from the many emotions that Lady Bird is going through. As far as first films go, it is a tremendous success.

8. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I was wondering what happened to him as well. I was starting to think I missed something because it seemed weird for a film as overall excellent as this to just forget about a character.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  9. Dog with a Blog

Glad I’m not the only one who felt like they missed something there. I felt kinda dumb afterwards trying to figure out what happened with him

aoftbsten likes this.
  10. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

#Justice4FatherLeviatch

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  11. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

gonna see this next week, excited about it :')

12. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yeah i loved this

i wish that there was a little more focus on the mom's characterization, i felt we saw glimpses of why she acts the way she does but i would have been totally fine with an extra 15 minutes that went into her motivations a little more.

OotyPa likes this.
  13. This is one of my favorite movies of the year. Loved it, and it makes me even more excited to see what Gerwig does next as a filmmaker.

Also, this just became the best-reviewed movie of all time on RT. It's #1 as far as 100% movies with the most reviews at 170, currently. Toy Story 2 previously held the record with 163 reviews.

Dodger and suicidesaints like this.
  14. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Armond White is sharpening his pencil

Aregala, Henry, Barresi and 4 others like this.
  15. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

I was the only person in the theater for this tonight.

16. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

My theater was packed for a Saturday matinee but then again it was a smaller room at an AMC compared to their bigger rooms

17. Morrissey

Trusted

It was me and another guy. The movie theater was cutting it really close with competing showtimes, so when I got there I had to watch the end of a movie about a sheep trying to help give birth to Jesus.

Joel, TJ Wells, Barresi and 2 others like this.
  18. cwhit

my showing was one of 7 on the day at an indie leaning theater and it was in the big room, wasn't packed in there but it was definitely crowded. 3:30 showing on a sunday

19. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Thinking about taking a long lunch today and checking this out at Alamo Drafthouse with my MoviePass.

20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Do it.

suicidesaints likes this.
  21. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Heard you fucking won't.

22. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

I didn't know movie pass was a thing, there's nothing to do here except watch movies so I'm gonna get on that, thnx

suicidesaints likes this.
  23. suicidesaints Nov 28, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 28, 2017)
    suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I did it. It was great.

I loved the movie, but I'm actually kinda surprised at it having 100% on RT. Seems like the type of film that wouldn't resonate with certain critics, but I'm glad it is.

aoftbsten and CarpetElf like this.
  24. cwhit

don't you live in boston? hmmmmmmmmmmm

25. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

I live in Northampton, 100 miles west of Boston haha

it's a college town