Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lady Bird (Greta Gerwig; November 10, 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This sold out near me so I had to get the next showtime. Damnit

2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This a very charming coming of age tale. Really enjoyed it.

3. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This was beautiful. Like, saying it deserves the unanimous high praise it got somehow still manages to undersell it. Top 3 film

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah this was great, Greta did such a good job dealing with their poverty and also the relationship between Lady Bird and Marion, I liked that they made Marion such a real character
    Saoirse was great of course, I like that you can't really pinpoint her career
    Julie being Jonah Hill's sister is amazing

OhTheWater, Aregala and primavera like this.
  5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

She was (underrated) in Neighbors 2 as well

6. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

this rules

on a personal note it was eerily similar to my HS experience aside from taking place in Sacramento (the midwest of California) instead of the midwest

7. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

really just love what happened with the characters that would have otherwise been throw aways in a lesser movie. the brother’s girlfriend. the dad. the teacher. just great.

8. Dog with a Blog

Agreed. I saw so much of my mom in her. I’ve had so many people describe my mom as warm but scary haha, myself included.

Aregala and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

their relationship was definitely like my mom's and my sister's

Aregala and Bloodsucker II like this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Greta's love for DMB somehow makes her even more endearing as if that's possible

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  11. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I loved that she was so into that song and included it. It clashed with her style and persona, but she was unapologetic and sincere. Would’ve been easier to make her a Smiths fan or something.

12. Dog with a Blog

It’s a perfect choice, given the era. Both my brother and sister were in college in the early 2000’s and, from what I can tell, DMB and college at that time just went hand in hand haha

13. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Totally, just feel like most of these movies with the character’s style and look would’ve had her turn her nose up to that song and been alternative/indie.

14. Dog with a Blog

Oh yeah totally. My post was not meant to to challenge yours, and more a comment on the article, but I see how it looks that way

jkauf likes this.
  15. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Haha, no worries, didn’t take it that way.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

all the kids at my high school with the best music taste were also really into Phish, Long Island is very weird

Aregala and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  17. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I graduated in 2001 and DMB was super popular in high school/early college. Just ask the Spoonman.

18. Dog with a Blog

DMB and Jack Johnson

19. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

"Crash Into Me" is a great song, and thankfully Greta has better taste than the people who disagree with this statement.

Craig Manning and TJ Wells like this.
  20. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

yeah i liked this. It seemed really quick. Never letting any one particular moment define the movie, which was very interesting and unique. Certainly felt more like an homage to Sacramento than anything else though hah.

I haven't seen boyhood in a while but i actually think i liked this better. I'm still waiting for that coming of age story featuring a lead who doesn't always get love so easily and isn't naturally liked by everyone though.

There was one point in the movie where i got a little angry at the theater, hollywood, and life in general. It was really small and i might be looking too much into it but during the 'play try outs' portion when everyone was singing, the 'fat' friend came on to sing and my theater began to laugh before she started to sing, anticipating that this was going to be a comedic moment because "haha fat side kick character are always comic relief". I dwelled on this for a while.

21. Dog with a Blog

I had a similar experience/thought processes as well.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

BirdPerson and Dodger like this.
  23. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I was not prepared for this. I went in completely blind, didn't know it would be as nostalgic and emotional as Boyhood.

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

25. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

This isn't neccesarily the movie's fault, as I don't think that's what they were going for. Although, when I watch movies like this and boyhood, all i keep thinking is "damn i want a movie about the 'big' girl more..i feel like that's far more interesting than the attractive, likeable lead's life"

Probably why I love Angus so much.