Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lack of Oxford Comma Could Cost Maine Company Millions in Overtime Dispute

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Daniel Victor, reporting for The New York Times:

A class-action lawsuit about overtime pay for truck drivers hinged entirely on a debate that has bitterly divided friends, families and foes: The dreaded — or totally necessary — Oxford comma, perhaps the most polarizing of punctuation marks.

What ensued in the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, and in a 29-page court decision handed down on Monday, was an exercise in high-stakes grammar pedantry that could cost a dairy company in Portland, Me., an estimated $10 million.

KidLightning likes this.
  2. As a huge supporter of the Oxford comma, this is simply incredible.

3. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

To be fair, it wasn't entirely the lack of the Oxford comma that could cost them millions, it was their failure to take into account the absence of the comma, as well as the gerund use, when interpreting the statute.

I think the gerund use is almost as important here as the comma, as it reinforced the court's interpretation of what the lack of the comma meant.

(And, yes, I am a lawyer.)

4. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

get outta here...

5. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?

bptky, PandaBear!, honkytonk and 4 others like this.
  6. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

it has always baffled me how people don't use it; i feel like when you learn how to use commas, it should just naturally follow.

7. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

[​IMG]

Raku, jorbjorb, devenstonow and 8 others like this.
  8. ianzandi

Regular

I came here just for this

bachna84, Essie and skogsraet like this.
  9. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

OMG THAT'S WHAT AN OXFORD COMMA IS?! I use them all the time then and once I had a group project with an English major and she proofread my portion of the paper and took them all out!! We got into an argument but she pulled rank as a major and shut me down! She also changed all my quotation marks so they were like "hi". Instead of "hi." And I'm still mad about that too!!

10. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

ugh why would anyone intentionally introduce ambiguity??

coleslawed likes this.
  11. JohnnyStacks

Regular

Oakhurst Dairy definitely gives a fuck about an Oxford comma.

12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

When I was the Arts & Entertainment editor for my college newspaper, I had to use AP style and wasn't allowed to write with the Oxford comma. I died a little bit every time.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

fuck her up homie, period inside of quotations is widely standardized

as for the oxford comma, i have always been a strong supporter. never understood why people don't use it. it only serves to clarify.

14. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

15. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I write for a newspaper and the oxford comma is considered blasphemous here. I had so much trouble getting used to not using it in print.

16. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

17. jorbjorb

7 rings

I was hoping this thread had something to do with vampire weekend.

coleslawed and Chase Tremaine like this.
  18. Her degree should be revoked.

Raku likes this.
  19. devenstonow

Noobie

20. Zev Jameson Loika

Life's a garden, dig it.

Recently got into an argument online about whether or not the Oxford comma was proper, I'm happy to find some others who believe in its use. I would take a bullet for my right to use it.

Jason Tate and coleslawed like this.