Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Label Stops Selling PWR BTTM Album, Venues Cancel Tour Dates • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 15, 2017.

1. Liz

Ew, David

If only this had been the outcome for Front Porch Step

2. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I don't want them to play Warped...

3. KL love him for strange reasons.

4. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I'd have a ton to say about that whole debacle, but since it would probably be very poorly articulated, I'll stick to this:

1. I'm incredibly happy that people believed the survivors above everybody else.
    2. I'm also very glad that very few people hijacked the situation to bash on queer people.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  5. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Just curious. I've only been following this story from a distance, but what does this mean for the future of this record? Does it just never see the light of day? Can the band or anyone else release it at some point in some other form?

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

it's going to be interesting. i'm assuming you mean from a legal for sale on the interent standpoint, right? since there already are copies of the records out there and i'm sure stores are still selling them at this very second.

if label continues to own the rights and doesn't want to sell it, then that won't happen. if the band ends up owning the rights, they can technically do anything they want with it.

it's a similar situation to a pop record being done for years but the label doesn't want to put it out. as long as they own it they do what they need to

7. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Right. I just didn't know if anyone had any info on who held the rights. It sounds like the label does, and they don't want it released under their name.

8. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

That may be true, but I still think it can be an honest mistake that they haven't remembered they made that post, or haven't prioritized removing it yet. I would judge them promoting the music or the band now with this news having broke, but I don't expect people to prioritize going back and censoring their online content following news breaking that wasn't available when somebody made the original post. More important is the response of Polyvinyl, venues, bands that were booked to tour with them, etc.

9. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Crazy how quickly this band was sunk. I'd only just started hearing their name thrown around when this all went down, guess I'll never be checking out their music.

10. AshlandATeam

Trusted

They're on tour. Do they even keep up with social media on tour? Their Facebook posts are really sporadic (and most of them seem boosted or pre-posted, maybe not even by the band itself). It's entirely possible they aren't even aware anything is happening since they have their own stuff going on.

I agree with you though. When you're friends with someone who does something awful, it isn't your responsibility to take a stand. Sorority Noise didn't do anything here other than post about their friends a month ago.

11. cwhit

they 100% know it's happening
    everybody knows.

12. AshlandATeam

Trusted

You could be right. I don't follow this scene outside of this site - I have no idea how much these people communicate with each other.

I just can't imagine being upset at Sorority Noise or holding them accountable because they were friends with someone. They probably backed them because they (like we) all believed they were a positive force in the world and are just as upset as the rest of us. Probably moreso, since they're actual friends.

13. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Would like to add that I have been told in confidence this is not even the worst of his behavior. Out of respect for the victim, I will not say more. But this man needs to go and so does this band for ignoring his actions.

Timmiluvs likes this.
  14. younglikeme

ii // YLM

Can we get a "Defend People, Not Pop-Punk" shirt asap please? Would purchase for sure.

15. cwhit

thanks for this. helps make my decisions a lot easier for this band. still trying to wrap my head around how to judge situations like this and trying to separate whether it's just a dude doing bad things in a relationship or if it's actually harmful for him to be around. this post clears that up quite a bit.

16. younglikeme

ii // YLM

Aaron Mook likes this.
  17. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Well, don't get me wrong, I think it can be important to take a stand against something one of your friends or colleagues may have done, but in this instance, I don't know if scrolling back through past social media stuff to delete things you once posted before you were aware of their behaviour really represents taking a stand anyway. Or at least, I give them the benefit of the doubt that it's an honest case of not even considering/remembering that they at one point posted that, or at least they don't consider/recognize that an old post could be perceived as present promotion of them.

18. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Yeah I didn't mean you shouldn't say something about your friend. I just don't know that Sorority Noise should be held in any way responsible for a month old post about some friends, assuming (like you) that they weren't aware of what was going on. I wouldn't have even thought about going back to delete or amend old posts like that if it were me. It'd be totally different if they posted something like that now or in support of them after the fact.

19. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious