Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

La La Land • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

True, but the film also can't pull off an LOTR style sweep. Unless there is a tie, which would be hilarious.

2. Has there ever been a tie in Oscar history? Is there a way to handle that?

3. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  4. Craig Manning

One that I've seen. It was a few years ago in one of the sound categories I think.

5. So the real question is...if La La Land ties itself for best song...does that mean it gets two awards? hahahaha

6. Craig Manning

I would assume so? Haha, I don't know.

7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Yeah thats my least favorite part of award show conversations, cause then we're not talking about the performances themselves or the art, it's all about what won SAG or whatever else and that's completely uninteresting to me. I like talking about performances and what the actors and filmmakers did that was so special, that's a more meaningful angle to me.

Yeah and I don't want it to come off like I think heavier dramatic work should be taken more seriously than "lighter" fare because I don't feel that way at all, if there's a Ryan Gosling performance from this year that deserved an Oscar it was the Nice Guys, the physical comedy and pratfalls in that movie are sublime and his sleazy alcoholic PI is more of a textured performance than just about anything else he's ever done. But in terms of vulnerability, Stone is playing an aspiring actress who gets what she wants. The violence and sexuality that Huppert grapples with is intense and fierce and psychological, to be as layered as she is and to be simultaneously engaging and detached is remarkable. There's just really no comparison, which is where I circle back to the absurdity of award shows and both performances were great and to give one a trophy over the other means nothing.

8. Craig Manning

I'd agree that The Nice Guys is the performance that Gosling should have been nominated for. That movie in general seems like it got sadly overlooked by a lot of people.

Nathan and Chase Tremaine like this.
  9. I would've looooooved for Gosling to get a nomination for Nice Guys. I love that film so much.

ConArdist and Nathan like this.
  10. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Very good point about her character arc, didn't think about that. Before reading further, it's also an incredibly strong vocal performance. She can sing almost as good as Russell Crowe(zing!). Regarding her arc and the lyrical content therein, I identify immediately. I've fought the good fight to become recognized for ten years now, so yeah I agree the lyrics are instantly relative. Only complaint I have is while of course derivative, I think LLL has many things separating it from the "classic" musicals, arguably already is one. We've got hip-hop dancers, both cinematography and choreography that would make Pence blush, a MIDI, I felt swathed w/ modernity AND the nostalgia of early MGM classics. I think the acting is also far stronger than, well, almost ANY musical. And Gosling is my dude so I'm admittedly biased, but here he fully sheds his "brooding" stereotype. WARNING: useless anecdote ahead, but my dad was a lot like you, he found Gosling boring and brooding for years. Became very interested once I showed him "Lars". And in the theater, after six years of fighting it, my dad quietly uttered "Gosling is so great". But opinions about the movie are neither here nor there, as long we both love it!:fist:

11. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Very possibly so. She's locked in. I'm just hoping Ryan gets it, too after pretending Denzel didn't exist for a couple decades they give him a "ugh, here you go" Oscar for Training Day. And I've heard fences is average Oscar-bait. I will be so upset if Denzel wins for that but not "American Gangster" or "X". It's Gosling's moment.

12. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Ah, no stick with Emma? I'm still dazed from this movie and think it deserves every award it's up for. I'm very upset the academy snubbed Amy Adams, our hometown hero in Douglas County! Would not be mad to see Ruth Negga get it, huge preacher fan and Loving was quite good.

13. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Personal favorite: Epilogue

14. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Dude, you HAVE to go to IMAX! I saw it in IMAX at midday on Wednesday, and was the ONLY one in the theater! Freakin' tits! Anyways, allow me to correct myself. I meant as far as a musical goes, "Someone in the Crowd" was a visual feast, Emma was perfect, and I love Callie Hernandez(red dress girl). Her apex concerning singing IS "Audition", musically I find it to be weaker than pretty much the rest of the soundtrack. Just an opinion, critics are on your side, they love that song AND her.

15. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Hey! What about...:crylaugh:. I adore Easy A. NOT a chick flick.
    [​IMG]

16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Yeah the surface levels of the musical are updated, when I said it was derivative I meant in the structure/setpieces/thematics. I enjoy the movie a lot but it's nowhere near a Gene Kelly or Jacques Demy film on those levels, but really it can't be, since it's so deep in its homage to them.

Oh and I've always liked Gosling, even if I thought his performances suffered from being too posturing/brooding for awhile. I was always a fan and thought he had better, more interesting work in him. I think he tapped into it better in the Nice Guys. Casey Affleck does the best work of anyone nominated for lead actor, but I have no desire to see him win because of some really disgusting allegations in his personal life.

For as great as Emma Stone is in this, there is just literally no comparison to what Isabelle Huppert does in Elle. Her role is so unique in terms of what she has to do physically, what she has to express psychologically, the levels to which she pushes herself viscerally... Again, this is no knock on Stone, but Huppert was astonishing.

17. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Ugh, ties are crazy, whether it be football or movies or just trying to put one on.:-)For real, do not like the idea. We're not in a 4th grade remedial class, pick a winner, Academy members. Bring in a tiebreaker.

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  18. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Yep, exactly why I say "no" to Affleck. Definitely gotta check out Elle, even if it means a torrent. I have also heard it's glorious. Liked Nice Guys, some hilarious parts and I hope to see those two actors at it again. Seems like they have a good bromance. Two cons: found Ryan's daughter very annoying and the trailer was HIGHLY misleading in the comedy bits. Also, I'm too exhausted to go find the video, but find an Only God Forgives interview. In an instant the brooding Gosling makes sense. He said the character in that film(Julian)really isn't a character, more a vessel for the film. Basically an id. He was a straight-up dork in Remember the Titans haha

19. ALT/MSC/FAN

I was scrolling through iTunes, and I saw that they released an album called "La La Land: The Complete Musical Experience." It's an album that contains every piece of music in the movie - the original songs, the score, and all of the little filler pieces. It's really something.

ianzandi likes this.
  20. Dog with a Blog

IMG_2252.JPG

I feel like such a loser tourist but

ianzandi and ALT/MSC/FAN like this.
  21. ALT/MSC/FAN

This comes out on DVD on April 25th.

Brent likes this.
  22. ianzandi

Regular

They actually have jazz nights there. It's a really cool spot. The pier he walks down singing City of Stars is right around the block too (though the lampposts don't actually exist...just film props)

23. ALT/MSC/FAN

Part of the reason I'd visit Los Angeles over New York is to see the La La Land spots.

ianzandi likes this.
  24. ianzandi

Regular

I perform around a lot of the spots and it really never gets old to me haha. The mural of the celebrities (where Mia enters the club that seb gets fired from) is right next to my comedy club.

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.