Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

La La Land (Damien Chazelle, December 2nd 2016) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Miles Teller is kind've a huge dork

3. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

lmao did Bleed for This come out or did that just get moved to the late January dumping zone

4. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Pretty sure that came out

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Straight to VOD. Prolly after that interview he gave where he was a huge dickhead and everyone who liked him paused

6. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Is that the interview where he repeatedly tried to insinuate his interviewer was going to fuck him

OhTheWater likes this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Miles only does movies with car accidents even though he almost died in one for some reason

Aregala likes this.
  8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Probably one of many

Aregala likes this.
  9. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

hahahaha

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Miles Teller is the Chainsmokers of actors but he's actually done something good

11. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Yeah Miles was pretty great in Whiplash

12. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

"The Chainsmokers of actors", hahaha

beachdude42 and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  13. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I wonder how much worse La La Land is if it goes with Emma Watson and Miles Teller. Clearly Teller does not make up for Sebastian's character deficiencies in the same way Gosling was able to with his natural gift for charm. Also feel like Seb would read infinitely more unsympathetic and like a hipster dick that gaslights a girl into liking jazz. Interesting what if.

14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

No one looked good in that interview.

15. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Chazelle aped Godard with his debut and Demy with this. Wonder which French director from the 60s he'll go after next.

16. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I loved Miles in Whiplash but he seems like a major douche

17. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Miles didn't back out the director dumped him for Gosling

18. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

To be fair, Gosling is a dream boat.

[​IMG]

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  19. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I still haven't seen this movie but this site is literally the only place I've seen people hating on it

20. Anthony_ Dec 29, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 29, 2016)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Don't let it prevent you from seeing it. It's one of the best of the year.

Jason Tate likes this.
  21. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I think people are getting too caught up in the details like this is some character study, it's not supposed to be that deep. We saw cute little vignettes of this couple throughout the seasons. You don't see a lot of things, fill in the blanks yourself. Seb listening in on Mia's call with her parents was enough for me to explain the argument later. And the obvious that people aren't perfect and make mistakes. No more is necessary. This isn't like the Before Sunrise trilogy, so different expectations.

22. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

While I love the movie, I agree with Nathan's criticisms, they became a bit more glaring on repeat viewings.

23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I was able to have a good theater experience and I generally don't like musicals or care for jazz. But I went in having heard that it doesn't have too much musical numbers to turn off people like me. Like I said I don't really care for jazz but I was still able to appreciate the music in it. But I love any movie about show business or how it romanticizes LA.

24. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Liked this a lot. Chazelle is 2/2 on great movie endings and, more impressively, 2/2 on getting me to tolerate jazz for a movie's length. Think I prefer Manchester By The Sea but I won't be mad when this wins all the awards. The Oscars have favored movies that portray show business the past few years (Argo, The Artist, Birdman) so I think this is pretty much a shoe-in for Best Picture.

25. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

The only criticism brought up so far I'm not totally buying is on Seb. His behavior during the "argument scene" didn't really seem out of place to me, I thought it was pretty clear that he's kind of a dick throughout the movie (ex:, middle finger, first scene). Plus he had a similar kind of childish argument with his sister earlier. Gosling makes you like Seb despite the character's flaws, which is a testament to his acting. Someone like Miles Teller wouldn't have pulled that off.