Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

La La Land (Damien Chazelle, December 2nd 2016) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jun 17, 2016.

1. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I concur on all accounts. Beautiful movie that could have used a bit of tweaking to be perfect.

Aregala and Nathan like this.
  2. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Just got back. Amazing.

3. SteveLikesMusic

Listening to the soundtrack all day. It's wonderful. Not a fan of the John Legend song, though.

4. I thought this was a genuine delight. I tend to find musicals pretty in-your-face and obnoxious (just from my perspective, not trying to look down on them), but this moved along with grace and was surprisingly funny too.

5. SteveLikesMusic

We have to wait 'til February for the vinyl :(

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Are only negative comments about this film getting mysteriously deleted orrr

7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

There's plenty of healthy criticism and negativity that I can see

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Just confused why my relatively mild criticism, coupled with what I liked, got deleted

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I saw your posts and they were a lot more mild than me outright saying I hated the film lol.

10. Nathan

Right, so I can't imagine they're being intentionally censored

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Honestly I'm seeing way more negativity than I expected in the thread. It certainly doesn't seem like anyone is being censored.

12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

One user had three separate comments deleted from this thread last night. Someone is definitely being censored.

EngineDown likes this.
  13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

User Sak Lunch heard me trash talking jazz

14. Nathan

@Jason Tate or any mod, have any posts in this thread been deleted by staff?

15. Anthony_

Weird. I mean I haven't been paying that close attention to this thread. I was more just making a joke about how surprised I was about all the negativity directed toward the film.

16. There was a db issue last night where the servers weren't syncing right. Looks like a group of posts in a 10 minute span got 86'd.

Nathan likes this.
  17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Allllllll about jazz! I'm onto you, Sak

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

hope there is some space jazz in there

20. takingback1738

this movie brings so so many feels

21. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

J.K. Simmons plays the NASA flight director and all he does is yell at Armstrong

22. Anthony_

"Is Sputnik Russian or is it dragging?!"

23. Nathan

Another viewing and all the things it does well it does well enough where I really like the whole, despite how it falls flat on its face in two of its most important scenes. The argument scene is awful. The only character conflict in the story, the whole movie hinges on it and none of it comes from anywhere. Just ridiculously bad characterization. Then no dramatization goes into Gosling's decision to skip the one woman show for his photoshoot. I still don't quite get what this movie is trying to do with Seb. Everything we know about him tells us he should hate working with John Legend, but he's smiling and genuinely enjoying himself onstage at their show. Is it trying to say he's getting caught up in the success despite his ideals? Then why in that argument scene is he back to hating it? And if he does hate it, then why would he care at all about the photoshoot? Enough to choose it, the thing he absolutely despises, over his girlfriend, who he absolutely adores? Gosling is good enough to sell some of it but God it's frustrating. That said, Emma Stone's arc as a movie about a woman who determinedly chases her dreams and has doubts and is encouraged to follow them really works magnificently for me, "Here's to the Ones Who Dream" gets me every time, and the epilogue is really gorgeous and should hit a lot harder than it does, except the movie fails to bring out the best in itself.

I've seen people calling La La Land's this years the Artist, as a decent movie that people love because it pays homage to Old Hollywood, but that's off. It's closer to this year's Birdman, a dazzlingly made, flashily directed movie that does a lot of surface things so well that people forgive it's egregious faults. That said I still think Birdman is really bad while this works well in a lot of ways outside of its issues, and it hits me in a few of the right spots.

Drunken buffoon Nice Guys Ryan Gosling deserves an Oscar over stubborn jazz nerd Ryan Gosling.

24. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Chazelle is like Innaritu in that they both technically know how to capture beautiful images but can't make me feel a damn thing with them.

OhTheWater and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Was certainly fun to look at