Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

La La Land (Damien Chazelle, December 2nd 2016) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jun 17, 2016.

1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Guess I have to wait one more wk for this.

2. It doesn't look like my kind of movie, but apparently you can cancel the awards season best movie category because this is gonna clean up.

3. Doesn't look like it's showing around me this weekend, but I listened to the soundtrack this morning and loved it.

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  5. flask

Trusted Supporter

Soundtrack is amazing. Debating driving out to Hollywood to watch this or just waiting til next week when it opens everywhere.

CarpetElf likes this.
  6. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'm usually not at all a fan of musicals besides old Disney movies and the South Park movie but for some reason I really want to see this

7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

WOW. This movie, guys. This was phenomenal

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

The hype is real; people need to see this

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  9. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

theaters need to play it! Doesn't open near me til January and it sucks.

10. flask

Trusted Supporter

It was fantastic. Saw it at the Cinerama dome too which only added to the charm.

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen Dec 16, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 16, 2016)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I really liked this, I feel like I need to see some more Old Hollywood musicals to truly appreciate it, I think I've seen Singing In The Rain

I loved the Hollywood jokes "It's Dangerous Minds meets the OC, Jamal you be trippin" "it's Goldilocks from the 3 bears' perspective, who says there wasn't a 4th bear"

12. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Chances are I'll check this out but I'm not a musical person. I liked Singing in the Rain when I saw it years ago but the only traditional musical I generally love the soundtrack to is Grease.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  13. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This was lovely and made my heart sing.

14. Nathan

There is a disconnect in the film where when Gosling and Stone get into an argument, it's because Gosling took a job because he overheard a conversation between Stone and her mom and did what he thought would make her happy, then he resents her for it and is a gigantic asshole to her in the argument, but... I'm not sure if it's intentional. Then when he misses her play it's because he has a photo shoot, for a band and music he hates, but they don't really dramatize his psyche in these moments or what it means to him. He's just kind of along for the ride and then a bit of a dick. And the whole conflict that disrupts their entire relationship is kind of cheap. I really, really love what the film has to say about falling in love with someone and someone meaning a lot to you, how they were someone you needed at a certain point in time and then things just didn't work out for whatever reason, and you can think back on that and think of what could have been and still be content. I think that's a lovely sentiment. But the core of their conflict cheapens that slightly.
    Still a pleasure to watch, just some weird characterization missteps with Gosling.

15. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I felt like I was watching a new American classic as I sat in the theater last night. Truly loved this film.

This is going to clean up at the Oscars and it totally deserves it.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

17. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

why would anyone ever care about his opinion on a movie lol

18. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

It's not meant to be taken seriously

19. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

No joke, when they got into Mia's car I thought the exact same thing haha

Loved the movie though, really.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

22. Nathan

Chazelle's jazz was very white in Whiplash as well, and I would have liked the film to be more nuanced in the conflict between Gosling and Lennon. As far as representation of queer characters go, this film is so singularly about just these two people, I'm not sure that works as a criticism of the movie itself, since it basically only has two characters and it's about their love story. As a broader discussion and critique of representation, sure. As a specific criticism of this movie, I dunno

Jason Tate and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  23. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

as someone who went to a music conservatory I can tell you jazz is full of white people trying to "preserve" jazz. I don't think Gosling's character "saved" jazz by any means, he just opened a club stuck in the past which was probably only really successful because of his success in the other band? I also thought John Legend's character had some really good points to moving forward with jazz, I wish the music wasn't presented in such a way because there is actually some really cool stuff coming out that takes jazz with a more modern/futuristic approach. It's sort of the same thing with Whiplash where Chazelle shows he really only likes one kind of white academic jazz.

mad and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  24. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

NEED to see this.

Not only as a Stone fan, but as a musical fan. Looks incredible, and the cinemas will be quiet due to Rogue One still killing it. Going in the next few days to this, fuck yeah.

25. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Supposedly Gosling learned to play piano for this movie in just like, a couple months. I've been teaching myself the past few weeks, and after seeing this it makes me want to learn and practice even more.

Bloodsucker II and Ferrari333SP like this.