Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

La Dispute Band • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Apr 15, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Agreed. I was talking to one of my friends who disagreed though -- he thinks they sacrificed energy for intricacy and idk. I don't really think the energy has to be nonstop to be called energetic you know. Wildlife, good as it is, is exhausting to listen to because there is so little respite in the energy.

Deathco_019 and FTank like this.
  2. Deathco_019

Drummer

Yep I think they made a more dynamic and concise album with Rooms. Wildlife, while good, is just exhausting for me to listen to. Wildlife always has been too

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Right, right. I much prefer a dynamic record that captures a range of intents and emotions than something high energy but only captures the different sides of like one or two emotions. I feel like the disjointed nature of it -- there's really nothing overarching that ties it together -- is probably the biggest reason for that sense of exhaustion.

4. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

cursive AND la dispute?

keep this one.

5. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

And she bought me a Circa Survive ticket for Christmas... I love this girl haha

6. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Def a keeper.

Also to the "not energetic" comment your friend said: First Reactions may be their most intense song. I certainly get pumped whenever I listen to it.

beachdude42 likes this.
  7. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

how can you possibly call this thing not energetic with hudsonville, first reactions, stay happy there, 35, and splitsville and also scenes

8. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Wildlife is more dynamic and more thematically interesting than Rooms but again, I adore them both.

9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

rooms is way more dynamic, the loud parts are louder and the soft parts are softer than wildlife. like, objectively

10. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

actually theyre about as equally dynamic but according to the dynamic range database rooms does get quieter than wildlife does but i think since theres less tracks the average turns out to be the same for both albums

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

11. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I did not even know that was a thing

coleslawed likes this.
  12. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

v useful and also shows how mastering in the modern age is a joke because most albums from the last fifteen years have a terrible dynamic range

dylan, EmmanuelSCastle and FTank like this.
  13. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Nah wildlife is way more dynamic I have an inner ear dynamic reader (IEDR as we call it) and it's way way way more dynamic not even a contest

14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah that's actually really cool

15. Deathco_019

Drummer

This is very cool thank you for this

FTank and sophos34 like this.
  16. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Now looking up every album I've ever loved.

sophos34 likes this.
  17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

bc to him energetic means an alt rock, bludgeoning explosion or something. listen. i know he's wrong, but he is entitled to his wrong opinion so i don't fight him on it haha.
    also that link is very cool, thanks

18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm not sure if im misunderstanding the way to read the dynamic range or if truly this many albums im looking up have terrible range
    shouts out It's All Crazy! for, being one of two mwY albums in the good range (if im reading it right) despite not getting enough love

19. bedwettingcosmo

shout out to wildlife for still being the best ld album ever. i will fight for it til i die

zacooper and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

What makes it better than Rooms in your eyes? and is that difference in quality to you a large one?

21. bedwettingcosmo

the gap between rooms and wildlife is huge in my eyes. wildlife is just a masterpiece. like a top 5 album of all time for me. it just shook me when it came out. i dont expect other people to get it but it influenced my life more than i can reasonably explain.

22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Like I said above most albums in the modern age are mastered terribly and the dynamic range is squeezed out of them due to the loudness wars. This database was made to pretty much point that out. You'll notice the vinyl versions of albums have significantly better dr

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

that's fine, sentimental value goes a long way. I was just wondering if you thought the actual music was like a step down vs this is a favorite of all time and it can't be compete with. both are legitimate, but it changes the way i see the response if that makes sense

yeah i noticed that when i looked up brand new. I also looked up stuff that gets reissued and remastered continuously to see if there was a big difference in that (there was more of a range in terms of how low it got for nirvana and the beatles than there was for like the smiths for example). this is pretty wild, i gotta read more about this

24. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Loudness war - Wikipedia

25. bedwettingcosmo

the music is not a step down. definitely the latter