Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

La Dispute - Panorama (March 22, 2019) Album • Page 23

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Dec 4, 2018.

1. what

Regular

Anxiety was one of my favorites on first listen.

Cameron likes this.
  2. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

excited to dive into this. I know it was out there for a bit but now that it's really out there... it's time.

3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I feel like the dynamic shifts on this album is actually huge. the quiet parts are quiet and the loud parts get really loud. It's a pretty dynamic master IMO. I have to crank some of the quiet parts to hear them coherently and then I get smacked in the face when it gets huge. I love that.

4. andrewcloer

Lurking AP since 2005. Lurking Chorus since 2016.

it's just not quite as punchy as some of their early records. i really good example is to listen to abandoned by defeater and then listen to their new single. i think it's just the way it's mixed, but it's just as tight and punchy. I think it's definitely got a lot of dynamic shift, but it's very open sounding, not crushing. There's definitely big moments. The end of fulton I sounds huge and it's not really even a super big part musically, but the drums don't sound like they are gonna blow my speakers apart, which is something la dispute has been pretty good about in the past.

5. andrewcloer Mar 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 22, 2019)
    andrewcloer

Lurking AP since 2005. Lurking Chorus since 2016.

i actually just listened to a song from wildlife and then the end of footsteps and i think it's literally just the guitars are mixed really loud and the drums aren't as in your face.

6. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

View from our bedroom window knocked me outta my shoes

7. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

kinda irked my preorder isn't arriving til thursday next week.

8. azzy01

Regular

This is hitting me hard. I purposely tried to avoid the singles as much as I could (2 or 3 listens each) because I knew it would be much more impactful as an album. From my first listen this was immediate, reading along with the lyrics really helped as well. It's hard to describe but this feels like a perfect album. I'll give it more listens and see how I feel after like 15 or so, but as of now it's probably my favourite of theirs or second to wildlife.

The dynamics of the album are amazing, soft to loud are done really well and isn't just abrupt changes in tone. Transitioning from soft to loud moments you gradually begin to hear the instruments in the background picking up pace and strumming along faster and louder as well. Attention to details like that is what makes this standout so much. Jordan's vocals are definitely his best here, more varied than he's done before and much more impactful overall.
    These couldn't be more relatable at the moment in my life, so it's all just hitting at the right time.

ROTH took a while for me to get into and it's probably my least favourite prior to this. Not that it's a bad album or anything, it just didn't grab me as their other material did. I'm glad this one is pulling me in this strongly.
    Happy to see this band still going and making strides in their sound as well.

9. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Haha same - this pisses me off so bad. I don’t get why all labels don’t send them out to make sure you get it closer to release day.

10. mynamesgeneric

Regular

I feel exactly like I did when Rooms of the House came out, underwhelmed. I'm sure I'll get this album in a year or two, just like I did with Rooms of the House.

11. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Good album on first listen. Knowing the lyrics will probably make me appreciate this more because currently there was no song that stuck to me in the way something like Woman (Reading) did

awakeohsleeper and aspeedomodel like this.
  12. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I figured this wouldn't be immediate but definitely some cool parts on here. Footsteps was definitely the highlight on first listen

Will listen a lot more and see how I feel

Wish my record came today but haven't gotten a single notification :(

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  13. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I’m into this.

14. Horrorca

Trusted

awesome first spin for me

very coherent & well crafted album, some v powerful moments, dig the production (even when I’m not a big Yip fan)

time well tell if it surpasses the previous two

sophos34 likes this.
  15. zmtr

Trusted

This is much more immediate for me than Rooms was.

trevorshmevor, coleslawed and Cameron like this.
  16. adeadgod

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

this album is incredible. might have the potential to top wildlife for me.

azzy01 likes this.
  17. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I like Jordan’s varied delivery on this.
    Works really well with the expanded structures of the songs.

zmtr and Anthony Brooks like this.
  18. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Rhodonite is so dope
    Horns crush it

coleslawed, Anthony Brooks and LWS like this.
  19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

this is about as good as it gets for the genre

20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Same

21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

This is amazing. As expected.

22. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

shit just realized alot of you listening to rhodonite for the first time. what a jam!!!!

23. Horrorca

Trusted

teebs41 and Transient_Hymn like this.
  24. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Horn* :) a single trumpet! Nice story about that in the book

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  25. Serenity Now Mar 23, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 24, 2019)
    Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

This is a perfect way to describe it. I am super glad that they went this direction too.

I think I get what you're saying, especially if you are referring to the sequencing of this release and all of the attention paid to make perfect transitions between the tracks.

This was my first take after my first listen. Didn't get anything out of it. After a few more tries though, so much more of this has come into focus. Give it a few more tries. It'll pay off. It's definitely more of a headphones record for me.

Careful. If you stare into the abyss too long, the abyss starts to stare back.

Mattww, CoffeeEyes17 and Mary V like this.