Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

L.S. Dunes - Past Lives (November 11, 2022) Album • Page 26

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Yellowcard2006, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Agree to disagree I guess. Hardcore shows are a different thing to me than emo shows like MCR, LSD, etc, in my head. But I guess people refer to those shows as punk shows too, so all just semantics I suppose!

sophos34 likes this.
  2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Guess not

3. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I mean yes it’s all under the umbrella of punk music lol

Dinkleberg likes this.
  4. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

emo punk whatev. its fast tempo music. and lsdunes has alot of screaming.

sophos34 likes this.
  5. Dinkleberg

Go birds Supporter

Yeah I’m not sure what that person expected. I mean, I’ve felt the squeeze at Circa shows and various other shows from similar artists. If you can’t handle that, don’t go into the absolute thickest portion of the crowd where there is little breathing room, everyone is swaying back and forth, people are crowd surfing/stage diving, etc.

I’ve mostly stopped going that far up front for bands at this point in my life. I’ll get close up for, like, Caspian and Russian Circles and bands of that ilk, but not really bands like Circa or LS Dunes or whatever

waking season and Cameron like this.
  6. Badtasteinmusic

Regular

No.

sophos34 likes this.
  7. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

life is not a waiting room is great but its clearly not the same kind of post-hardcore album that this is. thats a much cleaner mix because lets be honest especially around that time senses fail was a marketable band with the budget for that kind of polish which is what they were going for. this is a very raw back to basics kind of album to my ears but its doing so without treading old waters.

8. Badtasteinmusic

Regular

Also I feel like that’s one of McTerrains weaker sounding albums… that one and the fire it felt like he phoned in the mixes a bit. Glad we are eventually getting a remix of the fire tho!

9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i love some of mcternan's albums (circa, the graduate), others im a little whatever on production wise but still love (separation) but i do think hes pretty clearly an influence on will yip (not surprising given his work with circa)

Leftandleaving likes this.
  10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Ah man, The Graduate.... I gotta listen to them again soon

11. dubey Nov 25, 2022
    (Last edited: Nov 25, 2022)
    dubey

Regular

That thread is pretty bizarre actually.

I went to that show and have been to a bunch at that venue. This was by far the tamest I've ever seen it. The crowd only moved for a couple of the songs and they just happened to be the ones AG came into the crowd for. The venue is sort of oddly shaped where the left side of the stage is flush with a wall. Why anyone would stand up against that wall is beyond me (potential claustrophobia++). Both times AG went near the crowd it was on the other side of the stage. I was maybe 6 people back from the stage (closer to wall) and there was no crowd pressure at all.

LS Dunes sounded great. Dead Tired opened (Alexisonfire's vocalist). One of my fav shows of the year.
    haha see above ^
    There's a pattern here too though I've noticed. This whole emo revival is bringing a new generation of fans in that probably haven't been to a small GA show before. A lot more people passing out, getting hurt, etc

The guy working the door said people were camped out down the street for this one -- can only assume because Frank Iero is playing in the band.

12. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, this is what I wondered too. Bands like MCR and Paramore attract some gentler fans who are fanatic in a way more similar to Harry Styles fans or such. I don’t mean that in a demeaning way. I just doubt the people in the pit immediately behind them give many fucks and would probably not have even seen the support, let alone camp out lol. It’s just two very different sets of fans looking to have two very different experiences.

Small club GA shows are not safe places if you decide you want to be front row. Should they be? Maybe? I don’t know. But these are the sorts of shows that you’re gonna get people stage diving or crowd surfing into your head etc. You have to have awareness of that.

dubey likes this.
  13. I saw Idles a few weeks back, second row from the front, and was pushed around when people wanted to mosh. It’s what happens at punk shows and not once did I feel unsafe. I’m not great with my balance so I did almost fall over a few times lol but people helped me every time and it was an amazing night.

I choose to be up front so I can see the band (I’m only 5”6, staying further back means I see nothing behind tall people unless there’s screens). If I felt claustrophobic or unsafe, I’d move. Fact is that at sold-out punk and hardcore shows, people will mosh and accidentally shove you while enjoying themselves, especially up the front. It’s not the band’s responsibility to make sure you can handle being up the front, staying hydrated, etc.

14. Badtasteinmusic

Regular

Off topic I guess the lyric “I’ve got the comment section grammar correction blues” is a nod at how people have pointed out that he’s used poor grammar in his lyrics in the past?

Your Milkshake and sophos34 like this.
  15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Interesting

Badtasteinmusic likes this.
  16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I love it when he does that stuff. I assumed it was intentional. Cum pouring out etc

17. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

At face value I would’ve assumed it’s a reference to his poor grammar on Twitter and elsewhere. Not sure if he’s dyslexic or such. Clearly shows how little it matters if he is.

18. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

lmao we def talked about his grammar a couple months ago. my interpretation is partly that his lyrical style is stream of consciousness which i think explains it decently. his lyrics have been rife with it since the beginning and i love his lyrics.

kelseyduffy and Badtasteinmusic like this.
  19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

20. Dinkleberg

Go birds Supporter

Seeing them tonight in Philly!

21. Dinkleberg

Go birds Supporter

I liked this album upon my first listen, but it’s been growing on me more and more with each listen. Really impressed with the musicianship from everyone, but especially the rhythm section (unsurprising as Thursday are one of my favorite bands and Tucker is a huge influence on me as a drummer). Some of these riffs are scorchers though and I love where Anthony’s vocals sit in the overall mix. The sonic direction of the album really suits the music

Suffice to say, this album fucks

airik625, Mary V, Crisp X and 5 others like this.
  22. Badtasteinmusic

Regular

See you there!! Probably not but we will be in the same room lol

Dinkleberg and sophos34 like this.
  23. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Seeing em' tomorrow!

24. Dinkleberg

Go birds Supporter

Gonna be a truly glorious night tonight. I’ll be in the black Pianos Become The Teeth - Drift shirt with red font. Say hi if we happen to cross paths and you’d like/feel comfortable doing so!

Mary V and sophos34 like this.
  25. Dinkleberg

Go birds Supporter

I’ve changed my mind lol, I’m in a Holy Fawn sweater now

5Stories and sophos34 like this.