Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kong: Skull Island (Jordan Vogt-Roberts, March 10, 2017) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Jul 15, 2016.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Those of you who are a fan of JVR/have seen Kings of Summer and are familiar with his tone/style, is the cinematography at least good? He's a bright dude and this appeared to be a passion project for him, not just a mindless action flick. I assume there is substance under the criticism in some regard.

2. I thought the movie looked great. There's some cool slow-motion stuff too.

3. dlemert

Trusted

Honestly for me it was like when Colin Trevorrow directed Jurassic World after doing Safety Not Guaranteed. There isn't a whole lot of that indie charm that gets to shine through, which probably has something to do with the massive budget/demands of the studio. (Kong is a much better movie than JW though)

4. Ya if I'd seen Kings of Summer and Kong without knowing the director, I would never guess they were directed by the same guy.

5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

lmao what? this guy did kings of summer? did not know that. there is none of the style or flair from KOS brought through to this. some of the cinematography is good, but the best parts lean heavily on Apocalypse Now call backs, which isn't too surprisingly given the setting and timeline, but I mean it's cute at first, but then it becomes groan worthy when they pull it multiple times. Larry Fong is the cinematographer and you can tell, there were definitely times during the film where the shots evoked the cinematography of, let's say Batman vs Superman, with drawn out lingering shots to manipulate the viewers thoughts. overall I found the film technically a misstep, it wanted to be more than the sum of it's parts, but it seems to fumble at most turns, from the aimless script of useless characters, to the wooden direction, to the wannabe evocative shots that permeate the film. worst of all was the editing, man that was truly awful.

6. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Yeah the cinematography was fantastic. Probably one of the better shot action movies. A lot of fun too.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  7. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Finally saw this. I thought it was great, a lot of fun. For the most part the characters were enjoyable and at least somewhat interesting, but that's probably just in comparison to how dull everyone (with the exception of Bryan Cranston) was in Godzilla.

8. Night Channels

Trusted

The crazy Santa Claus remark was probably my favorite part.

9. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

This was entertaining, however I wish King Kong shot a laser out of his mouth when he was holding the big bad guy's mouth open.....

10. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Finally caught this at the discount theatre, really enjoyed it!

Cameron likes this.
  11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

That was the best one in a while. Love that the director got on board.

13. Ya that was awesome. Fun seeing him critique his own movie, especially after his great takedown of cinemasins.

coleslawed and airik625 like this.
  14. BackyardHero11

Trusted

the helicopter rant was my favorite hahah. "i bathe in pain".

15. michael_gatto

Trusted

That was awesome. Jordan Vogt-Roberts is awesome. Gonna go watch Kings of Summer now.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  16. I had fun with this!

imthesheriff likes this.
  17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

It’s good

18. flask

Trusted Supporter

John C Reiley's line about the ants kills me every time.

19. I call them skull walkers.

-Why?

Because it sounds neat

20. flask

Trusted Supporter

For some reason the scene where the captain gets whacked by a skull crawler while trying to sacrifice himself was trending on Twitter a couple months back and I hope it got more people to watch the movie.

aoftbsten likes this.