Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Knuckle Puck - Shapeshifter (October 13, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by btr, Jul 27, 2017.

1. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

I think the last 4 songs are probably the best they've ever written.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  2. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

So, I enjoy this album. I'm not sure if I like it better than Copacetic, but it has some very strong songs. Hendersons production hurts this album more than Copacetic because Copacetic had more moments that were able to be drawn out of the mix (the blast beats in Pretense and the wall of sound in Evergreen), but Shapeshifter has better songs as a whole.

Shapeshifter also suffers from being a "tale of two halves" album, where I don't think they'll satisfy enough of each type of fan based on the sequencing of this album. I have to think about it but I think this album would benefit from a different sequencing.

3. thescience Oct 16, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 16, 2017)
    thescience

Other than "gone", which is a jam, the first 6 tracks on this album are pretty forgettable. In that sense, this album is very similar to how I felt about Copacetic. Aside from a couple songs which I loved, it kinda just existed. Having said that, the last four on Shapeshifter are the best thing this band has ever written. Wait in particular is a stand-out track; "You always did feel just like home, but you were always so unreachable"...hits you right in the feels man.

While the odd production choices are clearly intentional at this point, having been through two album cycles, I can't help but feel these songs are held back somewhat by it. You get used to it after awhile though, it almost becomes the KP "sound".

Ugly Mug likes this.
  4. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I was hoping that this album would get me back into KP, but I still feel over Joe & Nick/Kevin's call-reply vocals. The lead melodies also feel really rehashed.

John's drumming has always been the highlight for me on the last few releases, and that stays true on this release.

It is what it is, though. It seems like a lot of people really like this release!

5. bertbro

This album came out of nowhere for me and is maybe my AOTY. The second half of this album is actually incredible. Emo ballad after emo ballad. There is clear Taking Back Sunday influence on this one.

6. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

How fucking great is Gone?!

solxace and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  7. Fill Your Lungs Up

Newbie Supporter

I'm a little surprised by the solid fall album vibes I'm getting from this, particularly the last four songs. I can't stop listening to Wait.

8. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This is growing on me a lot.

9. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

solxace likes this.
  10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Love that song. Album is so good.

solxace likes this.
  11. Anthony_ Oct 19, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 6, 2018)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Liking this, it's a fun listen. I think I still fell like the Grayscale record is the best pure pop-punk record of the year, although this is up there with it and I did really like that Roam album as well. Honestly though, it was a weak year for pop-punk in general. Not knocking this record by saying any of this either, I do like it, just saying there wasn't really much strong competition in the genre this year.

12. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

loved this album upon first listen, suggested it to a friend. only listened about twice since, no luster lost since.

13. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Iron Chic

14. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

15. Yeah after a couple listens I think I like Gone and the last 4 tracks and could do without everything else. Pretty weak offering. I echo the sentiments about pop punk this year, no one is pushing the boundaries at all. None of the records felt like definitive statements. That Such Gold EP was the closest I came to truly loving a pop punk release this year, and they're barely pop punk anymore. The Movielife record was decent as well. But nothing really transcendent.

16. btr

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

solxace and truelovewaits like this.
  17. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Top 50 overall? Really impressive feat for them!

18. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

alright! good for those guys. been jamming this for the last 3 days, and while it's certainly not groundbreaking, it's a solid pop-punk album and that's what I needed this year.

19. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Shout out the Grayscale record. It's very good. This, Gospel Youth, Gnarwolves and Creeper are up there too.

20. Shit, I forgot Gnarwolves and Creeper came out this year, thought those were 2016 for some reason. Those are both great, ESPECIALLY Creeper. I didn't like Gospel Youth much, though. Maybe I'll give it another listen.

21. oldboot

Regular

Kind of really liking this. As has been said, it's nothing revolutionary but a solid pop-punk album. Anyone know who the Harry Bailey is that they reference on "Everyone Lies to Me"?

22. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I've liked this band since I first heard their EPs so I was excited for this and after a few listens I was pretty happy with the album.

Though it obviously would make a much better EP

1.) Gone
    2.) Want Me Around
    3.) Double Helix
    4.) Wait
    5.) Conduit
    6.) Plastic Brains

Improve the production and you've got something really noteworthy.

It's a Wonderful Life movie reference

https://genius.com/13034248

23. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

24. Crazy. Hope the time off allows for recovery.

sonder and KidLightning like this.
  25. _unproductive

Regular

hope he can work through it all. Therapy has done wonders for me, can't advocate it enough.