Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Knuckle Puck Cancel UK Tour

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Knuckle Puck have canceled their upcoming UK tour. A statement from the band can be found below.

The past few weeks have been incredibly challenging for many in our community, including myself. Recent news has resurfaced some things from my childhood that had been repressed. Those experiences have had lasting effects on my mental well-being.

The realisation has been difficult to comprehend and challenging to work through. Due to it, Knuckle Puck will need to cancel our upcoming tour of Mainland Europe and the United Kingdom. This was not an easy decision, but it is the right decision to make. It has become clear that I need to head home to begin seeking professional help to work through what I have experienced. We do not expect future touring to be affected at this time.

We are going through an incredibly trying time in our music community. It is more apparent now than ever that the space any band occupies, including my own, should be a safe space for anyone and everyone. I want to take the appropiate time to make sure I am in a healthy mental space in order to be the best person I can be for myself, for those around me, and most importantly for those we perform to.

The rest of the band and I deeply appreciate any and all support you have sent our way and hope you will be understanding of my need to be at home for some time.

Joe Taylor and Knuckle Puck

TJ Wells likes this.
  2. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Good statement. I was hoping to go to this tour but health and mental health matters more.

Hope Joe works through it and I look forward to seeing them in the future.

Loki and CMilliken like this.
  3. Loki

God of mischief

I am guessing the implication here is that he was a victim at some point?

I love these guys so I am hoping this isn't a preemptive statement because something bad is coming?

I hope he gets well soon!

fbrrocks likes this.
  4. FWIW, Joe tweeted me too a few weeks back

Love these guys and really dig shapeshifter. Hope they get through this quickly

5. _unproductive

Regular

I'm right there with him. All of this happening at once has brought to light a bunch of trauma from my childhood/teen years. Hope he can pull through it.

TedSchmosby and Aaron Mook like this.
  6. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

While I definitely believe this guy is having problems, I'm so tired of seeing tours being cancelled with mental health issues as the reason. I wish these artists wouldn't commit to something only to back out after it has been announced, etc. Maybe, on a positive note, it can lead to these guys getting the help they need before turning to toxic coping mechanisms.

7. cherrywaves

Trusted

I'm sure they wouldn't book a tour if they foresaw one of their members going through some fucked up shit in the process

carrytheweird likes this.
  8. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

You're absolutely correct. I would imagine the tour is booked months in advance - especially when it is overseas. I just think it is a bummer to see a tour get announced only for bands to drop off last minute, or in this case, the entire tour being cancelled. Sometimes things come up, but it's just a trend that is happening now that wasn't ever an issue half a decade ago.

9. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Aw man I don't vibe with this at all. How could he -- how could anyone -- know that something like this would happen? It's unfortunate for the fans, yeah, but it's deeply unfortunate for him, too.

AshlandATeam, carrytheweird and fame like this.
  10. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

You're totally correct. I definitely sound bad in what I am saying. I feel for him, absolutely. This may not be the best example for me to be responding to like this. There has been so much happening recently that have hurt so many people. What I am trying to say is that I wish artists would try to seek help prior to it getting so bad that they have to drop off of a tour just to confront their problems. A lot of these artists stick to an insanely busy schedule, and maybe there needs to be more downtime. Something needs to change, at least.

I'm not at all trying to downplay what he is going through, and I completely understand it. It's just a bummer that this keeps happening. I realize it's unfortunate for him - touring is his full time job. You wouldn't miss your job unless you really couldn't be there.

11. tshreve

Metalicca

Joe gave a very specific and brutally honest reason as to why he can't do the tour and I think it's extremely valid. Being a victim of assault and finding out you're touring with assaulters has to be a really painful and scary experience that would make the idea of touring in general incredibly intimidating. This is one case where it's all too understandable and couldn't have really been prevented

cwhit and AshlandATeam like this.
  12. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

We’re calling depression and trauma a trend now. The fuck is this?

ZooZooChaCha and AshlandATeam like this.
  13. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I don’t think you do understand it, your comments are pretty selfish. You wish bands didn’t have personal lives or childhood trauma (clearly something someone would have 0 control over) and that they would just deal with it so as a fucking tour can happen. Do you know what it’s like going on the road feeling like that? Going to a different country with that mindset? I certainly can’t, and trying to understand it is impossible unless you can empathize from similar experiences.

You also likened it to “this was never an issue half a decade ago.” Yeah well thanks to a progressive community here I’m pretty sure we’re all ready to just about let the last few damn decades go. Like, thinking dealing with severe personal problems/trauma is a choice of whenever you’re ready is so mindblowingly ignorant sounding to me.

koryoreo, tshreve, cwhit and 2 others like this.
  14. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I'd add, we also know that a lot of the bands/artists who maybe weren't cancelling tours in the past were instead coping with their personal problems in very self-destructive manners. I don't need to name examples because I think everyone will have ones important to them that come to mind. But I'd much rather artists take the time they need and cancel a tour if need-be, rather than cope in ways that are self-destructive to them, or result in band problems that lead to fighting, break-ups, and potentially no further tours in the future.

oldboot and carrytheweird like this.
  15. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

people are nuts. who would honestly prefer to see their favorite artist in a state of mental unrest rather than giving them some time to recover and seeing them perform full tilt?

16. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

one of the most underappreciated aspects of how sexual abuse built into our culture is how even untangling and addressing that requires a ton of emotional labor and literal economic impact

carrytheweird likes this.