Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kingdom Hearts Video Game • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Mine should be coming Friday hopefully. Amazon screwed up my order.

lightning13 likes this.
  2. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

This is the first KH game I haven't bought on release day and that feels very strange to me. I just couldn't pull the trigger on this one since I barely liked Dream Drop Distance. I'll pick it up once it goes on sale though.

3. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Yeah, I ended up not being able to really justify it to myself. I have no interest in replaying DDD and I couldn't pull the trigger on what would pretty much just be a movie + a, by all accounts, 3-4 hour new game for $60. I'll get it when it's cheaper for sure though - I was going through the whole series but put it on pause once the PS4 collection was announced because I wanna play it in that smoooooth 60fps. By the time I get around to the couple games I had left (checks gaming calendar...so I guess after Persona 5), 2.8 will definitely be a more easily digestible price for me.

I'm excited to see people's reactions though.

4. Joe4th

I'm excited to replay DDD and hopefully get a better grasp for the story the second time around, I remember how much of a headache it was the first time haha

billyboatman likes this.
  5. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Have heard generally negative things about the Aqua campaign (no replay value, unfun boss battles, combat system relies too much on aerial attacks and has no defensive options), so that and re7 being the same day kind of put me off spending $60 on it. Will definitely pick it up when it see it for $20 someday.

6. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I'm definitely going to buy it, but I'm not done with the other two ReMix games so I'm in no hurry

7. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Got Tales of Berserk yesterday instead. I'm also going to wait until the price goes down on this. I played the hell out of DDD when it first launched and can't really justify spending $60 on the rest of the package.

8. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I've really only ever played 1 and 2. I read the storyline of everything in between, and I did try to pick up 2.5 and played the main game of Aqua, Terra, and Ventus. (I couldn't even tell you which game is which the timeline confuses me) I couldn't finish it though, idk why. Maybe I need to retry it.

9. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I'll probably end up buying the complete collection in march too. Square Enix knows how to steal my money.

I just love Kh that much. Even with all its side story and convoluted story bs. Grew up with it.

Just glad the next Kh is gonna be 3. Tired of waiting for all the ish.

Joe4th likes this.
  10. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Would strongly recommend trying Birth By Sleep again. Outside of Kingdom Hearts 1 it's probably my favorite in the series gameplay-wise and unlike some of the other side games relies a lot less on intricate plot details from other games. Yeah it's a prequel that has ties to the other games but by and large I think you can get by just fine on playing Kingdom Hearts 1 to understand what's going on.

For Timeline Purposes, here's how it generally works though 358/2 starts towards the end of Kingdom Hearts 1 and ends just before Kingdom Hearts 2. Haven't played 0.2 yet but I believe it starts after Birth By Sleep and ends after Dream Drop Distance:
    Kingdom Hearts X - X Back Cover - Birth By Sleep - Kingdom Hearts 1 - Chain of Memories - 358/2 Days - Kingdom Hearts 2 - Coded - Dream Drop Distance - Birth By Sleep 0.2 - (Eventually Kingdom Hearts 3)

If you're marathoning through the series I actually think Birth By Sleep works a lot better playing immediately after 1 or Chain of Memories. You get to see more of the back story behind Sora, Riku, and Kairi while also setting up Xehanort's backstory for Kingdom Hearts 2.

While there's a chronological order, from a storyline perspective I think this works better.

Kingdom Hearts 1 - Birth By Sleep - Chain Of Memories - Kingdom Hearts 2 - 358/2 Days - Coded - Dream Drop Distance - Birth By Sleep 0.2 - Kingdom Hearts X - X Back Cover.

Honestly though the X games are really just tangential to the rest of them and may provide context to stuff that happens in 3 but probably just gonna be fluff. Coded probably as well besides one plot point from the end of the game that will come up but would take so little time to explain that you wouldn't really be missing anything.

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Thankfully, there are plenty of explanatory videos out there.

Joe4th likes this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

As fun as the games are, the best thing to do is give up trying to understand the nonsense story and go with it. If you try to talk about the plot out loud you will sound like a crazy person.

13. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I read the above description, then watched that video. Brain is a fried egg.

14. Mister Lyrical

Sorry. For what's it worth I think anyone who wants to play Kingdom Hearts 3 from a story perspective should be able to get by just playing:
    Kingdom Hearts 1, Birth By Sleep, Kingdom Hearts 2, and Dream Drop Distance.

The rest of them are just varying degrees of fluff and worldbuilding.

billyboatman likes this.
  15. Joe4th

I just finished Birth By Seep 0.2 and oh man, I want Kingdom Hearts 3 so badly. The combat engine and graphics for 0.2 were great, and I'm pretty sure Aqua is my favorite KH character.

16. Mister Lyrical

Just beat it as well. This pretty much had everything I wish was different about kingdom hearts corrected and made better. Rather than putting too much emphasis on plot, they focused more on character which was definitely a great choice as the last few have been way too plot heavy. It essentially played like a streamlined version of Birth By Sleep that acted closer to Kingdom Hearts 1 and Kingdom Hearts 2. Also the magic in this game was goddamn beautiful and awesome.

GettingSodas and Joe4th like this.
  17. Joe4th

I'm seriously so excited for a full game in this vein.

GettingSodas likes this.
  18. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Enjoying birth by sleep 0.2 probably will finish up tomorrow. Yeah, I'll be happy once 3 finally at least has a release date.

19. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Pre-ordered KH 1.5+2.5 today. Will only have to pay $17 for it thanks to a trade-in and coupon.

Contender and Joe4th like this.
  20. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Where at? GameStop? I wish they had the limited edition

21. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Yep :D

22. tucah

not champ Prestigious

A single new screenshot from KHIII

[​IMG]

23. GettingSodas