Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kingdom Hearts Video Game • Page 26

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Maybe not number any of them if they're going to be as essential in plot as the main line. Also putting them all on similar consoles would've been a good start. That's half the reason I didn't play em, by the time I had finished KH all I had was a PS2 and didn't wanna go out and get a new GBA/DS/PSP/etc for some of these games. I think they eventually righted the ship with how they did the remasters, and going forward I think it'll work out, but yeah those are things they could've done much better. All water under the bridge now though.

Joe4th likes this.
  2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Right yeah that's all valid but what I was commenting on was purely just the incorrect assertion that I've seen over and over online in the run-up to and aftermath of KH3 that there are any unimportant "spin-off" games or "side games" in the franchise.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  3. Fucking Dustin

I gotcha. It's amazing that around now people are saying that. Like, definitely from an outsider's perspective in the past I have thought that they were spinoffs/side games/etc but if anything KH3 should've confirmed that those are major games, especially since there's been enough time AND remasters occurring that people have now had enough time to check em out and see.

Joe4th likes this.
  4. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

That’s the heart in kingdom hearts tho. Taking out all the parts that made it great isn’t a step forward. No matter how much Ff characters meant to the plot. Which was quite significant. Enough to be like wtf.

5. Anthony_

Much like people who now try to argue that the Disney worlds were ever essential to the plots of any of these games (outside of maybe KH1 if you squint and also only consider the worlds that had a Princess of Heart in them), it's just based on either being uninformed or not having paid any attention to what's been going on in the games for the last 17 years. It's really frustrating to see.

6. Bane

The spiciest meme

I can go very much into why I think this post is misguided but I have to work, later on I can get into FF character stuff and their place in the KH series

Joe4th likes this.
  7. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

No way. Sora and the gang were relegated to the background. They were way more integrated in 1 and 2.

8. Anthony_

Literally every single world tied into the main plot with the Organization members coming in and becoming the primary antagonist of the world by either conducting an experiment relevant to Xehanort's plans or attempting to carry out some mission to further his goals. Every single one. That's never happened before ever in one of these games.

Joe4th and Bane like this.
  9. Bane

The spiciest meme

Yea this is just a crazy post, specifically saying KH2 had more integration, like that's just ludicrous. KH1, yea because the plot was so much simpler.

Joe4th likes this.
  10. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

But we’re talking about Disney worlds and how sora and the gang fit in. Not the .Org members. In every world they were part of the plot. In 3 they were mearly there to say hi and that’s about the extent of plot development until the end.

11. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Read next post.

12. Anthony_

No, you're talking about that. I'm talking about the original point of contention, which was that the Disney worlds in KH3 are "side stories to the real story" and don't connect to the overarching plot of the game. Which is objectively false.

13. Bane

The spiciest meme

I feel like the only world you could make that case for in 3 is Arendelle, and even that I really didn't mind. I'm also of the opinion that the KH worlds that rely solely on retelling the plot of the Disney movie are....the most boring ones usually. I like when they get more creative as the KH story is what I play KH for, so doing more to incorporate the KH story into the Disney worlds is my fuckin jam, just like how it was in KH1.

Joe4th likes this.
  14. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Agreed and that’s what 1 and 2 did so well it was mainly new story added ie. Nightmare Before and so on. I really dislike when they just use the same plot from he movies. The only worlds that seemed to do that were in Kh3 really. Cause even in 1 and 2 if they rehashed they still added so much more story and interaction. As where in 3 it was real limp.

15. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

They don’t tho. You could literally go to none of the worlds and it wouldn’t matter. All the story is in the last act. There was literally no plot progression until the end. The 2 princesses of heart side plan was literally dead and gone after it was mentioned.

16. Bane

The spiciest meme

Wow I 100% disagree with this lol, I think it's like the exact opposite and 2 was the one where they just fucked about and kept using the Disney plot over and over without adding anything substantial. And I wrote about this in my initial huge post about KH3, KH2 has the issue of having to balance Disney worlds with Maleficent/Pete plot and Disney worlds with Org plot. The Maleficent/Pete plot ones are usually where they really just kept it to Disney retellings. For example, what was added in to Land of Dragons that was substantial? That was 100% a straight retelling of Mulan.

I think 2 is the one that dropped the ball from what 1 had and 3 course corrected it

Joe4th likes this.
  17. Fucking Dustin

Btw one thing this game continues to prove is that Yoko Shimomura is the best composer in gaming right now

She's the one person who snapped on both this and FFXV

18. Fucking Dustin

Yeah was gonna say what @Bane said, during KH2 it definitely felt like all the worlds were rehashes of the Disney plot

19. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

The KH3 worlds are not just retellings of their Disney movies, that’s just straight up not true lol. Arendelle was maybe the closest to that, and I’m sure that’s just because Disney is super strict with that IP. Literally none of the Toy Story or Monsters Inc worlds were pulled from their movies lol.

20. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

big hero 6 was the content I needed because we will never get the sequel.

Joe4th likes this.
  21. Anthony_

I don't even know what any of this is supposed to mean. The actual events that take place in each world are explicitly tied to the overall narrative of the game because none of the events in any of them would have unfolded the way they did without the connection to the Organization members. They're directly tied to the narrative of the game because of that. It's just objectively false to say otherwise. It might not have worked for you specifically but it was there.

Also, again, let's not pretend that the Disney worlds were ever crucial to the overarching plots of the franchise. They were barely ever even crucial for the plots of their individual games outside of a few exceptions (Space Paranoids in KH2, for example). This is not a new thing for the series at all, at least this time Nomura attempted to tie the events of the Disney worlds into what was going on in this game.

22. Bane

The spiciest meme

Now all this being said I still fucking love KH2, I don't want that to go amiss. It's more expressing how KH3 managed to cater to me in ways I was never expecting from the series. I somehow lined up exactly with the type of fan that KH3 was going for, and it got knocked out of the park for me. I'm sad to see how many people feel disappointed by it.

Joe4th likes this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

This is the whole problem. We are going to go all of these worlds to discover waking, but then he just gets it in the main story that has nothing to do with Disney.

It feels like they would love to just tell their own story that has been developed over the years. That is part of why they abandoned the Final Fantasy characters, but Disney is still there. The original gang has Malificent leading all of those bad guys and the need to use the keyblade on the worlds, but here there is very little of that.

Seeing the Birth By Sleep crew reunited, or the shot of Axel with Xion and Roxas, is all fulfilling for someone who has been following all twenty-six games, but it just felt like you had to get through the Disney worlds to get a cutscene that matters and get through all the worlds to get to the real game.

billyboatman likes this.
  24. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Thank you, I’m not so eloquent when it comes to my thoughts.

I hate ragging on this game cause I love this series and wanted to love this game and I do (portions of it) but so much was dropped or would be referenced then nothing would happen or something would and we wouldn’t know why or how.

Like how did sora even get or did he get the power of waking. It just seemed like they made it into a life threating thing. So when he almost died one heart would wake up. Didn’t make sense. The whole Kairi and Axel thing could have been nixed. We got two whole scenes of them doing nothing. Then getting destroyed. Idk.

25. Bane

The spiciest meme

The problem you two have is something that did not develop from KH3, that's been there since KH2 and the rest of us are saying KH3 did more to try to alleviate that.

What did Maleficent do in KH2 in actuality? Not really much! She was already putzing around with Pete for the entirety of that, and then kind of gets placed right at the end in TWTNW. Timeless River is really the only place where Maleficent and Pete actually try to do something remotely relevant.

Joe4th likes this.