Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kevin Durant Joins Golden State Warriors • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 4, 2016.

1. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Nuts.

2. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Just got into NBA recently, was hoping he'd go to Celtics. Even GS fans I know are mad about this.

3. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

As a Cavs fan, I'm not all that worried. Golden State now has 2 former MVPs who are both capable of blowing 3-1 leads. As long as the Cavs can re-sign JR and fill in the gaps left by Delly and Mozgov, we'll be just fine.

FTank and CMilliken like this.
  4. doubledribble

Regular

This is hilarious. You're acting like GS is a bunch of washed up has beens. And it's not former MVPs it's 1 former and one 2 time reigning MVP. Combine that with Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, and Iggy, Cavs fans should be worried. The Warriors now have three of the most prolific scorers in the NBA.

5. CMilliken

Trusted

No not really. Just love how Durrant couldn't get the job done this year against the Warriors so might as well join them right?

FTank likes this.
  6. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

well, to be fair, he and Westbrook couldn't get it done the last eight years. and there'd be no guarantee they'd be as good next year or better, so how long someone waits before making a move to better their opportunity at a title is obviously the variable. Malone waited too long, as so many others have / did.

CMilliken, doubledribble and fenway89 like this.
  7. bptky

What's really hilarious is that Golden State both team & fans had that same sort of cockiness after their 73-win season, but look where it got them. Is Durant a boost for them? Absolutely. There's still only 1 ball on the court/only 1 player can score at a time. Golden State isn't going to be scoring 140/pts game like everyone in the last 24 hours has seemed to be expecting. Lebron has always owned KD, and Cavs have proven they could beat the Warriors, so this GSW team is scary good, but still stoppable. As with any team, an injury or 2 and this team could be out of the picture too. Anyway, I'm predicting a very boring NBA regular season for the next couple years with this CLE/GSW Finals on repeat.

FTank likes this.
  8. doubledribble

Regular

I think you're taking for granted how much this opens up the floor for every one of their shooters. Who's gonna keep tabs on Curry, Durant, Thompson, Green, Iggy? Where does your best defender go? It's a defensive nightmare. Obviously, time will be needed to gel, but for what they gave up to get him...damn..

9. doubledribble

Regular

I have no problem with it. I don't understand why anyone would.

10. Dave Dykstra

Daveydyk

I just don't think it's great for the league. The NBA doesn't want Super teams.

11. doubledribble

Regular

Yet, super teams have existed for many, many years.

12. bptky

They already had a defensive nightmare up until now, with GSW's sharpshooters swinging the ball around the perimeter. Like I said before, they did get a lot better signing KD, but teams are/will be catching on if they keep solely relying on their long-range offense. They need to vary it up and make KD the focal point of the offense.

13. doubledribble

Regular

KD is a completely different dimension to the offense. His game does nothing but open things up more for sharpshooters. The point was that in your original point you made it sound like the move was no big deal thanks to a couple of losses. Now I'm not entirely sure what you think.

None of it really matters, though, since the Pacers will win it all next year.:folded:

14. Dave Dykstra

Daveydyk

Right, but maybe not to the level of this one. Either way I don't think it's good for the league to have 2 of the top 3 players on one team, along with 2 other all stars.

15. doubledribble

Regular

Hard to say that when the Bulls featured 3 HOFers during the second three peat. I don't think this move necessarily hurts the NBA. People are going to tune in to see if it works. If it does, they will tune in to watch the greatest basketball team in the history of the NBA. If it doesn't, GS will become a historically overrated mess that people will watch to see if it will ever work. Either way, this isn't really about the NBA. This is about a personal choice that Durant made about his livelihood. No one complains when normal people leave their place of employment...so I guess that's why it doesn't bother me.

16. Dave Dykstra

Daveydyk

Haha very true.. have done it a lot myself. I guess my timberwolves had no shot anyway so now I can just watch an insanely good team.

doubledribble likes this.
  17. bptky

Agreed, GSW can be a much greater threat if they can focus an offense around KD. They've been pretty one-dimensional in that for the last few years, they've just seemed to ride whoever has the hot hand behind the 3-pt line on that given night.

What I was saying earlier was about the Cavs, how they lost some depth with Delly and Mozgov signing elsewhere. These weren't entirely significant losses though, and as long as a majority of the team stays intact plus filling in some gaps, I think Cavs & Warriors will still meet in the Finals.

Anyways, best of luck to your Pacers. I've seen some of the moves they made, but the East looks like it's going to be a lot tougher this year.

doubledribble likes this.
  18. doubledribble

Regular

Haha I just pretend like I will finally live to see the Pacers win a championship no matter how unlikely!

19. Dave Dykstra

Daveydyk

It's always sad being a fan of these teams. Like we may legitimately never see them win a championship. But with Wiggins and Towns at least there is hope now.

20. doubledribble

Regular

Can't argue with that. 2 number 1 overall picks on the same team is a great start. Just have to find the right pieces that go around them.

21. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Towns averaged a double double as a 19/20 year old rookie, so yeah MIN will be competitive. Even more so then a team like the Pelicans with Anthony Davis because the T'Wolves have some talent from over the years surrounding him, too.

Re: super teams
    They have been around for a while, with this move, LeBron/Bosh to MIA, the big 3 of KG, Allen, and Pierce in BOS for the late 00's, and of course Kobe/Shaq for the early 00's. Oh and don't forget when they added Payton and Malone for a year...

But the way teams are tanking (that's more a draft strategy) and freeing up space just for a minuscule shot at landing a free agent (sometimes years in advance) is bothersome. What's funny is that beside Carmelo, these guys are going to competitive teams. Teams are trying to bring in a package of players to add to an existing player they already have on their roster, and it's been backfiring so far.