Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kevin Devine Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Man, I really prefer 11-17 and Between the Concrete and Clouds album version to the acoustic ones. Especially 11-17's album version. Such a cool atmosphere to that song.

teebs41 likes this.
  2. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I'm working on it.

3. airik625

4. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Played bass for the front bottoms today at Panorama fest, was pretty cool.

5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Re: Brother's Blood's inconsistency, that album in retrospect sounds like Bubblegum/Bulldozer lite. Same idea, one album instead of two. I don't think there's a song on there that I think is weak though, really grown on me. I think there was a couple of the slower numbers that I was iffy about at first -- Fever, Murphy, I think those were the big ones -- but I really like them now. Still think I Could Be With Anyone is in a really weird place but I'm not convinced there's a better location for it on the album.
    Also I like the acoustic versions of 11-17 and Between just as much as each other. BTCC does such a good job of establishing a vibe that runs throughout. I really and truly think it's one of his most cohesive works, and there's really no dud songs. I also really love I Used to Be Someone.

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

This is a fair criticism, but I feel like it's also a weird one since Kevin had all acoustic (or very close to it) records before, and those don't get the same lukewarm reception. Not the same criticism you made, but i think it's worth pointing out since you said the same can happen with an all acoustic record. The only one that does get the lukewarm reception is Circle. Though I guess neither Clocks nor Ghost are actually all acoustic they're just less busy. I have to think about this more haha
    I'm just checking to see if this happened. I'm very determined to get to the bottom of this mystery

7. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Honestly totally forgot haha. Tomorrow for sure, I'm not working tomorrow so I have ample time

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  8. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Another very cool part of Brother's Blood is that Kevin has so many of the acoustic demos for that album around.

9. airik625

If you haven't already, you guys need to watch that live performance of Brother's Blood a couple posts up. Incredible.

10. listened to Between Concrete And Clouds this morning, "I Used To Be Someone" might actually be my favorite Kevin song.

also, this is my favorite "Brother's Blood" performance

11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I Used To Be Someone is so impressively descriptive than you visualize what he saw.

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

"I Used To Be Someone" makes a strong case for my favorite Kevin song that isn't called "Ballgame" along with a few others. It's so well done, especially the refrain, it really drives the emotions and the meaning behind it for me. The proverbial underline.

13. Leftandleaving

I listened to it again (and that kicked me off and now I'm going through his whole discography) and I really don't know why I placed it so low. I'm not a big fan of Fever Moon, Murphy's Song, or the closer, but I liked the title track more than I remember and it opens very strongly. By no means is it a bad album at all. I wonder now if I'd like BTC&C more if I listened again

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I think both are growers, but Brother's Blood grows on you more because it's easier with such a strong A side. BTCC is more consistent, so if you're lukewarm on it, there's probably not just one moment that will alter that for you, just the thing as a whole. Though, "I Used To Be Someone," "11-17," the title track are definitely obvious contenders if there are any

15. Leftandleaving

Btc&c feels darker and more atmospheric. I don't think that really works in Kevin's favor. That's why I think I like that one less

h8bit likes this.
  16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Oh huh this is actually like the last thing I expected to hear. You don't think it suits him, or just not what you'd normally associate with him? Interesting perspective though, legitimately wouldn't have thought of either of those things as a negative in this context.

17. Leftandleaving

Usually it's not bad at all - I think it's because of his voice though. I don't think his high voice works well against that backdrop

18. airik625

19. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Man, I really wish Private First Class had been properly recorded with the correct pronouns. Renders the album version of that song unlistenable for me. The acoustic performances of the song that I've seen since more than make up for that though, such a powerful song, even moreso now with how she's reportedly being treated after her suicide attempt.

Anyway, I love Kevin Devine. Surprised I haven't already posted in this thread.

20. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Hard to fault Kevin when she came out only a month before the album came out, too late to change at that point. Changing it live makes up for it though right?

21. nohandstoholdonto

I never said I faulted him by any means... Doesn't make it easier to listen to for me. Doesn't surprise me that we would react differently, though, considering I have to actually deal with being misgendered (thankfully less now than ever). Which is totally fine, but I don't think my aversion to the studio version is without merit.

22. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Ah gotcha, I thought you were bummed that Kevin didn't record with the correct pronoun, like it was on purpose. But yes, now I get what you are saying, welcome to the thread!

KidLightning likes this.
  23. nohandstoholdonto Jul 29, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 29, 2016)
    nohandstoholdonto

Yeah, no. I understand why it got recorded that way, no doubt. One thing that is a little harder for me to excuse though, is that the lyric video has the incorrect pronouns written out. If I remember correctly, that video came out months after the album's release and they could've easily put the proper ones in there instead. I understand the logic behind why he wouldn't, given the audio and the video would obviously clash, but I think that would've been the right move regardless. Then again, I have very little (read: absolutely no) knowledge of the process of the production of that video, so I still don't hold it against Kevin.

Aaaaaanyway, I figure I should probably weigh in on something other than PFC, so I'll say that Kevin's got a wonderful discography. One of my favorite songwriters in general, and quite possibly my favorite lyricist. I'm pretty wowed by his consistency in that regard. Admittedly, there are instances for me where some of his later writing, while still impressive, lacks the emotional punch of his earlier writing, but that's more of a commentary on how I connect with it than its actual quality or depth. He's also incredible and consistent live, as I'm sure everyone in here is aware of, and maybe the nicest musician I've ever met.

As far as his discography goes, I'm pretty overdue for a full revisit so my opinions could change, but I guess I'll do an obligatory ranking regardless:

Split The Country, Split The Street
    Make The Clocks Move
    Brother's Blood/Between The Concrete and Clouds
    Bubblegum
    Put Your Ghost To Rest
    Bulldozer
    Circle Gets The Square

24. airik625

KidLightning likes this.
  25. bonus tracks on Concrete and Clouds ^^^^^^ (which has been my go-to lately)

EmmanuelSCastle and KidLightning like this.