Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kevin Devine Band • Page 33

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 12, 2016.

2. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Alright I've been listening to Kevin pretty obsessively the last year or so (always just a casual fan before then) and...I feel like most people seem to think Brother's Blood is his best album, right?

But I've been listening to Bubblegum pretty much non-stop the past week and I honestly think...it might be better? Am I crazy?

3. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Not crazy. BB feels a little disjointed to me, although the title track might be his best song (especially live). Bubblegum is more cohesive and consistent but doesn't hit the same highs.

Put Your Ghost To Rest is still my favorite.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  4. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Bubblegum is my fav

5. Philll

Trusted

Nope, Bubblegum is my favourite too. I agree with @Elder Lightning that Bro's Blo is a bit all over the place. I think I've seen him say that he made it at a sink or swim point in his career so he just threw everything at it - I think it lacks some cohesion as a result.

Elder Lightning likes this.
  6. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I was also under the impression that brothers blood was his most popular, and I agree it’s a bit scattershot, but I think split the country and instigator are too and it’s part of the charm of those records. Ghost is my favorite

Aaron Mook likes this.
  7. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

The disjointed-ness or whatever you want to call it if BB is part of what makes it my favorite of his. All high-quality songs with a ton of variety. Bubblegum is great though and has some jams but not as varied imo

Aaron Mook likes this.
  8. the only song that really feels out of place to me on BB is "Fever Moon"

Serenity Now likes this.
  9. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I think seeing the brothers blood anniversary show made me appreciate that album more

10. navidson

Regular

Bubblegum is 100% my favourite - Never really understood why BB is always elevated really, I think it's one of his weakest (still great though)

11. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

brothers blood is easily his best for me.

Serenity Now and Aaron Mook like this.
  12. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i will put redbird up there with one of his best songs tho. bubblegum has its moments for sure.

Serenity Now, Aaron Mook and Philll like this.
  13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Bubblegum is my favorite

14. Brother's Blood was the first one I heard and would probably say it ties with Instigator for my favorite, BTC&C and Split the Country close behind

15. The_Pioneer

Regular

Between the concrete and clouds just had a magic to it that puts it at the top for me. (Also if you just count the Kevin songs, Bad Books III is my second favorite Kevin release lol)

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  16. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

STCSTS will always be my fav probably, I think I’d put BTC&C right behind it

17. (Sorry, had to do this to sort it out myself)

Instigator
    Brother's Blood
    Between the Concrete & Clouds
    Split the Country, Split the Streets
    Make the Clocks Move
    Bubblegum
    Bulldozer
    Circle Gets the Square
    Put Your Ghost to Rest

Really just struggle to get into Put Your Ghost to Rest.

jordalsh likes this.
  18. I find him very difficult to rank beyond Brother's Blood and Put Your Ghost to Rest being about even on the top.

Aaron Mook, Serenity Now and .K. like this.
  19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’d say Brother’s Blood is his best because it’s the bridge or middle point in everything he does. It has the haunting Elliot Smith, it has the 90’s alt rock, the poignantly political, the folk acoustic songs, rock epic, sprinkle of alt country, quirky, indie garage band, and more. I feel like it’s the bridge between everything’s he’s done before and after and seemed to elevate him in terms of numbers of listeners.

Best song is still Ballgame.

Now peoples favourite record just seemed to be based on what element they like best from him, which makes sense. But at his musical core is Brother’s Blood. Even taking into account his current and previous projects.

Brother’s Blood is diverse.

If you like his indie garage band, the Bubblegum is your thing. If you like 90’s rock, Between The Concrete and Clouds is your thing. If you like more folky records or political there is more of that on his first two records. Bulldozer is more Elliot Smith.

I think it all stems back to BB or came together in BB. That’s why I’d say it his best. Having Put Your Ghost to Rest right before BB feels like it shaped BB.

20. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

Bubblegum is my favorite, then probably Brothers Blood and Instigator. It's his most catchy and energetic record, and one of the only ones that doesnt genre hop like crazy.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  21. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Well I guess I'm spinning KD all night tonight, thanks thread!

.K. likes this.
  22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Can’t wait for a new record.

23. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I am so happy I'm not the only one who's favorite Kevin Devine record is Between the Concrete and Clouds. Such a sick record. The guitar tones are cool as hell, and 11-17 is probably my favorite song of his.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  24. spookymulder

iambirthdaydad.bandcamp.com

best KD records are for sure Brother’s Blood and Bubblegum. No contest.

25. navidson

Regular

Bubblegum>PYGTR>Instigator>STCSTS>Brothers Blood>BTCAC>Bulldozer>MTCM>CGTS