Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kevin Devine Band • Page 29

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 12, 2016.

1. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, if we’re not counting Bad Books, this has to be the longest he’s gone between records, huh?

2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

he's never gone more than three years without putting out a record but i think this is about the gap he had between bubblegum/bulldozer and instigator so far. he's still got time to stay on that timeline if we count we are who we've always been as his last record tho

3. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

11-17

Serenity Now, EmmanuelSCastle and .K. like this.
  4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

He also came out during TGUK’s encore and did a cover of “Division Day” which was fucking awesome.

5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I was worried he wouldn’t do new albums after Instigator. Glad that doesn’t seem to be the case.

6. EarthShifts

Trusted

After Instigator I think the plan was to take an extended break from his solo work, tour as a member of Brand New, and then see what happens from there. Once all of the BN stuff went down though, I think everything had to pivot. That was 2 tours within a year (the other being with Modern Baseball) that both got cut short/cancelled, which I’m sure was a hit financially.

I’m sure a new album is coming at some point. Maybe next year, but I think that’s probably still sooner than he had planned originally.

.K. and TJ Wells like this.
  7. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

Anyone know if his Nevermind covers are available to stream anywhere?

8. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

It comes out Friday.

9. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

Right, I didn’t know if they had already been available somewhere.

10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It’s been out for a long time. Don’t know if it’s streaming anywhere though.

11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

He released it for free in 2012, this re-release will probably be on streaming when it comes out Friday. Just a guess.

12. irthesteve

13. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Happy 17 years of being a solo musician Kevin. I’ve seen him 8 times in 5 different cities so I really celebrate his work. He’s always approachable & kind, always affordable tickets, always even more spot on as a singer than he is in the studio.

I vividly remember seeing him 7 years ago today on his 10th anniversary show. It was at The Bowery Ballroom. Great concert but people talked through the entirety of him playing Circle Gets The Square acoustic. That bummed me out but he also played Brother’s Blood and Split the Country, my two favorite records of his... A+. Still an outstanding day trip to NYC.

I think Front Bottoms opened but that might have been a different time I went to NYC to see him? Idk.

CAC3, navidson, Joe4th and 1 other person like this.
  14. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Anyone been to the BB shows? If so, what times he been going on?

15. for us it was show at 8 and i think he went on at 9 or 915

Leftandleaving likes this.
  16. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

an horse only just went on 20 mins ago lol

17. oh that seems late

kevin plays a long set too

Leftandleaving likes this.
  18. MatthewDuke

Regular Supporter

Here is a link to a few videos I recorded from last night’s show. He did a Nirvana and Daniel Johnston cover as well. Hope you guys enjoy!

EmmanuelSCastle and .K. like this.
  19. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

coleslawed and .K. like this.
  20. irthesteve

Kenny O'Brien and the O'Douls eh!

21. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I’m into it

22. Tom Lee

Regular

Thought I'd share this here, some might appreciate. From the show in Leeds, UK.

Context from myself:
    This meant a great deal. I suffered a nervous breakdown in October, forced into home care, cancelled all my life plans, a booked US tour, and hadn't touched my guitar since then, until the day before this show. Didn't plan to perform for a while, but I couldn't say no to opening this one. Kevin has been one of my favourite songwriters/performers for the longest time, along with being the kindest, so was grateful to Kevin & Lande for doing this song with me, despite my messiness. Particularly as we prepared/they learnt it around 5 minutes before I started my set. Thank you both, not everything in this world is so cruel.

23. Tom Lee Feb 3, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 3, 2020)
    Tom Lee

Regular

Also: I requested this song to Kevin at our show in Leeds (particularly as Bad Books are unlikely to come over to the UK or Europe anytime soon), but he had never performed it live, not since recording for the record, so he promised to prepare it for this show in Manchester (which I planned to attend). Thanks so much, it was, to me, flawless. My favourite song from one of my favourite records of 2019.

navidson, WornSoThin and gonz (Alex) like this.
  24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Kevin is a class act.

25. One of my favorite folks I've ever interviewed. I'd be lucky to chat with him again.

.K. likes this.