Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kevin Devine Band • Page 21

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Philll

Trusted

Seems pretty bad to equate having a drug addiction to being immoral. Moral people can absolutely struggle with addiction.

2. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone can struggle with addiction. Being addicted isn't immoral. It's what people do to fulfill their addictions that can often cause many problems,like lying, stealing, cheating, acts of violence and so on.

People can be addicted to drugs and alcohol, sex, gambling, washing their hands, video games, whatever.

I'm sure there are things Kevin isn't proud of, but you have to give someone credit for working hard and turning it around. He's wrote about this stuff in songs. No one is perfect.

3. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I don't think I get your point. Kevin can't be seen as morally grounded for the rest of eternity because he suffered from addition at one point?

In other news, I wonder how long it will take for us to get a good song out of this. Maybe something about the situation, or cutting ties with long time friends, or something of the like?

It's a selfish thought, but highly probable.

4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I'd say from what we as the public know, Kevin would be considered a high point now, if your using the term "morally grounded". His voicing of opions against war, racism, and so on. Support of others in music. He's a family man. Even stepping back to evaluate what his position is regarding his friend.

But we only know what's out there. Our history is a part of who we are. It not the only thing we are though. Some of what's come out about Jesse is from his past too, and probably should have been addressed a long time ago.

I like you, hope that Kevin decides to step away from doing Brand New shows and continue on with making music.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  5. Philll

Trusted

If there's one word to describe Kevin it would be conscientious. He carries a self-awareness that I see in very very few public figures. Clearly I don't know him personally, I only see of him that which he chooses to share publicly - but that which he does show is more than enough to give me confidence that he is a man of great integrity, humility and "morality".

Honestly this is just a weird conversation. Drug addiction and alcoholism are not uncommon, and are not an indication of moral failing. Sure, the addicts response to their illness matters, but to suggest that Kevin at 9 years sober is somehow fundamentally broken because of his past is bizarre.

Demonizing addicts feels a little immoral to me, but hey

6. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Agree.

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm astounded I read the phrase "drugs are illegal" as short hand for "possible questionable moral character" in 2017 and I'm not here for it

8. yeah, the moral character stuff is weird. doing drugs doesn't inherently make you better or worse than anyone else.

I also want to say that Laceygate has made me reconsider how we deify celebrities - KD included. conscientious as he may seem, at the end of the day he's a good/great musician who seems well spoken. but so was Jesse, so I'm personally gonna take it with a grain of salt.

not to say you shouldn't have your own heroes or whatever, just my 2 cents on life post-BN.

phillyfradet likes this.
  9. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I wish Jesse Lacey wasn’t involved in Kevin’s music quite as much he was. Background vocals on multiple songs, and he was producer on Bubblegum. It’s hard for me to hear that stuff even though it’s not really his.

Aaron Mook and phillyfradet like this.
  10. jean-luc davis

Shut the FFFFFFRESHFISH UP

I'm having similar issues. The saving grace for me is that Kevin at least wrote all of those songs, and where Jesse is featured singing he's typically not too noticeable/at the forefront. With that said though the only KD I've listened to recently is BTC&C and Instigator/WAWWAB

Aaron Mook and Benjamin Lee like this.
  11. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I've been doing the same, but with Put Your Ghost To Rest thrown in the mix.

phillyfradet likes this.
  12. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

08A2B6F0-F0B8-448F-891C-023B8EF66A17.jpeg
    075A9F7A-2B1A-4D8C-ACE2-214722819D58.jpeg

13. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

His email also heavily implied he's restarting the Devinyl splits:

"Stay tuned for a continuation of a certain series that is coming back very soon!"

14. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Wish I could make it up to Burlington for that but doubt I'll be able to make plans to head up north before spring. Damn you, adult life

15. JohnR831

Regular

I got a ticket for the Syracuse show. I've got class until 7, but it usually gets out a bit early, so fingers crossed.

16. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

coleslawed and Benjamin Lee like this.
  17. BackwardsWalker

Regular

The Great Albums pod cast had a solid episode earlier this week on Make the Clocks Move

18. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Second time he’s coming to my city. Second time I’m out of town that day.......

19. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Someone on Reddit just sold me a sealed Between the Concrete and Clouds record and I think I’m going to cry. It’s my favorite Kevin Devine release, and I had basically accepted I was never going to own it until now.

Also, I’m seeing him tomorrow night with my friend and this girl I like. So wish me luck fam. Hopefully I’m less awkward than the first time I met him.

20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

is it out of print??

21. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Yessss. For a long time. It only had 1 US printing back in 2011 when it released. Then there was a European repress a couple years after that. But, yeah. It's extremely rare.

22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

that's so crazy to me, that's one of his best. who pressed it the first time? triple crown?

23. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

According to Discogs, it was Your Favorite Gentleman. Then Arctic Rodeo did 2 pressings in Germany, amounting to three variants (2 the first pressing, 1 the second). I think the album being owned by Razor & Tie has made it difficult to repress the record (at least in the US). Then Germany, I just doubt there's high demand for a repress (assuming they don't have to deal with getting the rights to do more like Your Favorite Gentleman would)

24. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Dang. I sold mine a couple years ago thinking I could probably get it back relatively easily if I ever re-built my collection.

25. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

You done goofed, Ms. Guitar God.