Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kevin Devine - Instigator (October 21, 2016) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jordalsh, Aug 8, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Didn't John Agnello work with Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr? They sure like their solos too

Aaron Mook likes this.
  2. Yep. Definitely some similarities in style here.

3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

There are some of his albums that sort of bleed that 90s indie rock, and I think this will be one of them judging from the single, the producer, the similarities you mentioned. I'M READY

Aaron Mook likes this.
  4. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

in what way, if you don't mind me asking

5. Mattww

Regular

Thing is most of my band tees were bought when I was like 16-20 and are size xs, not really an xs anymore!

bspaunhorst likes this.
  6. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Is the rest of the album giving you BTC&C vibes?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  7. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

I teach a small 12th Grade Honors English class, and yes, of course I'm going to have them analyze and discuss "No History" this morning.

8. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

BTC&C came out when i wasn't really listening or into KD much so i kinda wrote it off quickly. i'm gonna give it a relisten this morning since i'm so high on him rn

EmmanuelSCastle and Aaron Mook like this.
  9. Aaron Mook Aug 31, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 31, 2016)
    I just think it's interesting to go back to an album like STC,STS and hear him start to tackle Bush with very good, albeit run of the mill, protest songs, and then to hear him approach a wider set of social issues on Brother's Blood, and then to see him write an album as ambitious as Bubblegum or even this. And the same goes for his personal life. I know this is a change many artists go through, but there is a lot about becoming a father on this album, and that doesn't feel forced at all. As someone who's not a father, there's something genuine about his writing that makes this more endearing to me than another songwriter's might. It's like the quality of his music has been as consistent as his growth over the past 15 years. I'm not sure how else to explain it; sorry if that doesn't make much sense.

...Sort of. Probably closer to that or Bubblegum more than any other album in his discography. But it's more consistent than the former and more subdued than the latter. It's a straight-up rock and roll album
    I did the same thing when it came out, and now it's top three K-Dev material imo

10. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

cool. thanks for the explanation!

Aaron Mook likes this.
  11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

that album is very underrated, but it is very good. let it simmer, listen to it a few times. it's that kind of album for a lot of people it seems. 11-17, the title track, i used to be someone...some of his best songs.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

interestingly enough those are the only 3 songs i cared about when it came out.

EmmanuelSCastle and h8bit like this.
  13. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

No History is on Apple Music.

teebs41 and KidLightning like this.
  14. zzarrillo

15. airik625

16. zmtr

Trusted

What's a good record to dive into Kevin?

17. airik625

Brother's Blood

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Either BB or split the country split the streets

19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

let us know what you think in the present!

Matter of Time gives you a good sampler, you can't go wrong with Brothers Blood or Split the Country as the people above already said. However, I have seen you around the Pinegrove thread, so if you're in the mood for something kind of folky, Put Your Ghost To Rest wouldn't be a bad option either

zmtr likes this.
  20. zmtr

Trusted

Definitely looking for his folk-iest sounding record

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  21. Leftandleaving

PYGTR then. That's my favorite too

22. zmtr

Trusted

Cool. I'll let y'all know what I think. He's coming here in December and Pinegrove is playing with him. I heard them for the first time ever 2 days ago and I fell instantly in love. Like the same feeling I had the first time I ever heard Bon Iver, The Hotelier, etc.. Great feeling. Figured I should give him a proper listen.

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Alright, Put Your Ghost To Rest is your best bet in terms of studio record. Other options after would then include Make the Clocks Move, and Bulldozer (not super folky even though it was billed that way, but good tho). His other live album, Live in St. Pancras, has acoustic renditions of a shitton of his songs, and he's a great live musician. So that last one might be a good way to transition to the indie rock albums if that's what you're looking to do, but he's a great songwriter no matter what. I am honestly appalled at me for not recommending you go chronologically (starting with Make the Clocks Move) because he improves a lot over time, but I want to give you the best impression haha

Zac Djamoos and zmtr like this.
  24. Leftandleaving

Check out petal too, they're on that tour. I'm trying to hit the philly date (I think). Gonna be a good time. I think you'll enjoy him, based 1) on those couple bands and 2) I don't think I know of anyone who doesn't like at least a couple KevDev tracks. Hope you're not the first!

zmtr and teebs41 like this.
  25. zmtr

Trusted

Awesome, man. Thanks for the detailed input.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.