Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kendrick Lamar Interrupts White Fan Who Rapped The N-Word Onstage • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 21, 2018.

1. The Mysterious May 22, 2018
    (Last edited: May 22, 2018)
    The Mysterious

Yes...but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts

It absolutely is, but only one race deserves the right to use it.

Stepping outside the racial conversation for a brief observation, American linguistics must appear so broken to non-native speakers.

edit: grammar

2. transrebel59

Regular

I grew up speaking English in Nigeria/Ivory Coast so I thought it made sense. The slang and casual phrases (Stuff like, "so hungry I could eat a horse") are really weird.

3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’m just glad Kendrick would never pull me up on stage because I’d most likely blank out and just stand there for a minute. There’s no way I would remember any lyrics in that sudden position.

4. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

hmmmmm

5. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

This thread really reminds me of why I don’t miss AP that much.

Arry likes this.
  6. DarkHotline

Didn’t realize that Schoolboy Q spoke for an entire race.

7. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

never said that he did.

8. DarkHotline

Then what point are you trying to make?

9. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Just showing another artist's point of view on the whole thing. He also happens to be opening up for Kendrick on this tour, is his label mate, and they've worked together creatively for years.

10. DarkHotline

I get where you’re coming from but that doesn’t hold any water really. Kendrick does not share that view and can express his disgust at the situation if he so chooses. Schoolboy can do that if he wants, that’s his business.

11. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I understand that Kendrick and Schoolboy are two different people who might not share the same opinion, but imagine I went to see Kendrick with Schoolboy back in 2013, and Schoolboy is encouraging (actually forcing) white audience members to say the n-word, then flash forward 5 years, I go see Kendrick and Schoolboy again, and this happens. I'm not trying to make any point necessarily, but it's a bit interesting.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  12. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I just looked up the video and Kendrick wasn’t harsh about it. He just told her to not say it when the song continues, she agreed, they finished the song. Pretty civil.

Ska Senanake likes this.
  13. Analog Drummer

Regular

That kind of is literally. I’m ireland and England we also have the variant “I’m so hungry I could eat the arse of a low flying duck”

14. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I think this makes for an interesting discussion rather than just throwing you to the social justice warrior mob. She shouldn’t have said it period on stage or in the crowd. No one white should. I say nothing if the n word is in the lyrics and I’m rapping along or singing at shows. I have been to many rap and r&b concerts though and I see white people singing along the n word all the time, not intending to be racist but to vibe to and honor the song. African American artists must be aware that this type of thing is happening when they r facing the crowd yet this never gets brought up as an issue. Shows never get stopped and white fans never get called out or kicked out. While most of us agree it makes no sense to say the n word EVER, it is interesting how the lines get blurry for some in a concert setting. Maybe some African American artists don’t give a shit because they appreciate all fans that rock out with them and honor their own message and art regardless of color. And Maybe Kendrick bringing this to light because of some stupid girl getting on stage and saying it will kick off other artists calling this issue out when they inevitabley see it at their shows.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  15. Analog Drummer

Regular

See now THIS is a response!
    Not just yelling or abusing someone but offering some thought and informative advice. I commend you

Ska Senanake and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  16. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

lol maybe some POC are just tired of having to explain their situation over and over and over and over again. i dont understand why POC has to explain themselves to people who don't even take the effort to look it up themselves. that's what's tiring about it and thats why some people don't give you an explanation. like jason says, you can google and find millions of artists and comedians commentary on the n word. this 'we should have a conversation' shit is tiring. as an anecdotal POC POV, im tired of having to explain to people for over 28 years that 1) i was born here. 2) no i am not chinese/japanese/korean 3) yes i have good english because i've lived here all my life. just maybe black people are tired of having to educate you on something that's so obvious and out there.

17. chris

Trusted Supporter

“Social justice warrior mob” man what

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  18. tyramail May 23, 2018
    (Last edited: May 23, 2018)
    tyramail

Trusted Supporter

This. Even as a white girl, I don’t feel the need to continue to have a conversation about the shitty things white people do as if white people can’t possibly figure out why the shit they do can be offensive. And I have no care to converse with a white apologist blaming the POC for this situation.

SuNDaYSTaR, Arry and DarkHotline like this.