Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kendrick Lamar Interrupts White Fan Who Rapped The N-Word Onstage • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 21, 2018.

1. swedishheat

What is the argument being made here?

Should she have not sung along with the lyrics?

Saephon likes this.
  2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

she should not say the n word because...well, duh.

Philll likes this.
  3. swedishheat

I'm not familiar with the rules and I have a few questions, so if I can jump ahead a few steps here ...

It's not okay for white people to use the n-word because they've used it for hundreds of years to put black people down.

It's okay for black people to use the n-word because they are allowed to take the power away from the word.

Are we then advocating that it's okay for women to catcall men?

Should we pay women more than men for equal work?

Can mentally challenged people call other mentally challenged people the r-word?

4. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

...:tear:

Arry likes this.
  5. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

This thread has everything...racism...false equivalency...light misogyny...ableism

[​IMG]

6. Beholdtheriver

Regular

Thread is rough.

Serious question, asked seriously: if singing along to a great artist like Kendrick on a song that does include the “n” word, is the proper etiquette to self censor and say nothing at those moments or to say something else?

7. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I don't think there is necessarily proper etiquette outside of "don't."

Matt Chylak and bradsonemanband like this.
  8. swedishheat

Can I not ask questions and learn?

As someone who doesn't understand, emojis don't help me understand. I would appreciate if someone could tell me what the rules are, or guidleines.

Analog Drummer and Saephon like this.
  9. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

Say absolutely nothing. Don't be obnoxious like Max Bemis and say "n-word". That's beyond idiotic.

10. PauLo

43% Burnt

That LJ Rime dude is Piers Morgan, right?

Jake W, Joel and St. Nate like this.
  11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

As the creator of that thread, that's not what this is.

DarkHotline likes this.
  12. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

We need a purge Tate.

yeahrightdude likes this.
  13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

She was leaning hard into it on some Uncle Ruckus shit too. What a dork. "I got chuu". Fuck out of here

DarkHotline, Arry, Zilla and 3 others like this.
  14. IATAvalanche

Regular

she either raps the words and gets lambasted or dosent rap the words and he compliments her. why put her in that position?

15. cwhit

the fact that she felt comfortable rapping it means that she says them when she sings along to them with her friends. that's not right.

CarpetElf likes this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

To choose whether or not to say the n-word? Real Sophie’s choice

17. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Why would being complimented after be an unpleasant position to be in?

trevorshmevor likes this.
  18. cwhit

yeahrightdude and tyramail like this.
  19. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I will never understand this mindset of faulting the performer because of a fan’s shitty decision making skills.

20. my band played a show in some middle of nowhere wyoming town last month and after us touring bands played, a local hip hop duo went up. two white kids, one with cornrows. and every other word was the n-word. everyone who stayed to watch them were super into it. it was absolutely awful and so cringy... no number of tequila shots and bottles of beer helped me get through that unscarred.

Connor likes this.
  21. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

She shouldn't have said it, and it's not his fault she did, but I'm not surprised it happened. I suspect a relatively high % of non-black audience members sing along to the words at his shows (I wouldn't be one of them) - not that it makes it okay, and I'd then have expected people would have had the self-awareness to not do it when given an opportunity to go on stage.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  22. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

One of the sole perks of being black in America is the ability to use the n-word. We need more white people telling black people that it is not okay for them to use this word.

23. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

I am a straight white male and i don't see any offense in someone saying that to me, in any context possible.

24. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

i think it's worth mentioning that there was a guy before this girl and killed the entire song without needing to say the n word. she knew it was wrong, and she did it anyway.

idk why white people wanna say the n word so bad. it's not your word to claim or police.

Zilla and yeahrightdude like this.
  25. Jibblycakes

I'm sorry but I don't think that this girl should be getting put on the same level as a white person dropping an N bomb in conversation.

Dude invited her on stage to rap his song, and was upset when she did just that. She clearly isn't racist as she is a paying, supporting fan of a black artist. Should she have said it? Probably not. I certainly wouldn't have personally. Still, to act like this is even remotely in the same league as actual hateful racism actually diminishes the impact of actual racism.

But hey, im sure people will keep up the pile-on and ruin her life,

Benjamin Lee likes this.