Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kehlani - SWEETSEXYSAVAGE (January 27, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Nov 28, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yup those two are in my top 25 more than likely.

2. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

lucky moose is on my wavelength here

Aregala and The Lucky Moose like this.
  3. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

records that seem to be pushing in a direction "beyond" genre or whatever tend to get more critical traction. the kelela record is excellent (though kinda unevenly weighted, i'm always surprised at how amazing the second half is) but deals primarily in futuristic r&b-flecked idm-esque dance music a la janet jackson's "empty," which is great, the world needs more music like "empty," but stuff like the kehlani record gets buried in that conversation. this year's tlc record was also (surprisingly) a v good v trad r&b album and it's just... nowhere

Aregala and The Lucky Moose like this.
  4. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

and honestly i think the kehlani record is more than just a traditional r&b record, it sorta filters '90s r&b through a lot of modern traditions and it sounds fresh as hell

5. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Kinda unrelated, but people should check out this Mhysa record. It toes the line of a ton of genres, but it's mostly grounded or built around R&B.

6. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Yeah it's not a throwback record, what I mean is it isn't a subgenre or crossover record

Aregala and unbornwhiskey like this.
  7. The Lucky Moose

Last year this happened to Tweet, only NPR had her album listed but it was amazing.

8. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

that tweet album was my second favorite album of the year after the 1975!!! it's a fuckin masterpiece!

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  9. The Lucky Moose

Right, but it wasn't by Beyonce or her sister (I love them both, this isn't their fault clearly), so tough luck

unbornwhiskey likes this.
  10. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i mean they all put out wonderful albums but i struggled so hard to get anyone to pay attention to that tweet record

11. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Completely missed Tweet last year. Adding that to my library now.

I need a few more listens with Kelela, but SZA > Daniel Caesar > Kehlani > Brent Faiyaz and I think that’s it for R&B in my eoty list

I also like, just realized this is Kehlani’s thread and not the r&b thread but w/e

trevorshmevor likes this.
  12. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

that daniel caesar record is unfortunately just on the wrong side of corny for me. i get why everyone else loves it though

13. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

There was just no way I wasn’t gonna love it after he featured Syd

14. The Lucky Moose

The Syd album is really good too, Body is incredible

brandon_260 and skogsraet like this.
  15. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Idk if my mind just refuses to lump her in with r&b or what cause I totally forgot her in my post lol fin was my favorite r&b album of the year esp if we’re counting always never home with it as one big project

16. The Lucky Moose

Fin is actually a pretty traditional R&B album too I'd say, maybe it's just that her image isn't that of a traditional R&B singer because of The Internet

17. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

It definitely is, I came into it only knowing her music from OF and the internet and I guess my brain never recategorized it after I actually heard it and realized what it was

18. The Lucky Moose

Fin will be missing from too many lists as well I think, for a lot of the same reasons. Her odds are slightly better because of the OF connection I guess.

skogsraet likes this.
  19. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i like about half of fin. maybe i should try again with it

20. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i preferred the internet records majorly

trevorshmevor likes this.
  21. The Lucky Moose

I like it a lot less than SweetSexySavage because it's less.. eh.. "varied" I guess? I love SweetSexySavage partly because it's this beautiful, colorful, bubbly, emotional mess. What some people see as flaws just elevate it in my eyes.

22. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

^^^ right on. fin is extremely monochromatic (not necessarily a criticism but a description)

23. The Lucky Moose

As are a lot of R&B albums now, which is fine but I prefer them a little more all over the place like they used to be, haha

24. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I agree that it’s monochromatic. A lot of why it’s my favorite comes down to how I relate to it personally, I think other artists (Kelela for sure) put out technically better albums than Fin

25. Really wanted to love fin but it just refused to stick with me. Don't think it's bad just not very memorable