Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Katy Perry Band • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Kiana, Jun 1, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I think very few people have the features that make short hair work, K-Stew looked amazing with a buzzcut but that's pretty much it

beachdude42 and skogsraet like this.
  2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Its interesting when I relate it back to what she said during her live feed thing and I find it kinda true. That Katy with the black hair and the wigs and the costumes is a character and that is Katy Perry the Popstar. When I see pics from this era she def seems more human... Like Katheryn Hudson. Which was her whole point I guess where she wants to be katheryn and to stop playing this popstar character that doesn't feel like her. But I feel bad cause I prefer the Katy Perry character?? Idk if this even makes sense lol

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I think that everything being said is valid, but I also think that the music is just straight up worse, and seems uninspired, rushed and messy

4. Kiana

I mean yeah she would've flopped regardless

5. Clockwork

Regular

Say what you will about Katy's live show, but goddamn does she know how to pull of a spectacle.

6. Kiana

Honestly I feel like great performances are not a focus for most popstars rn so she fits in fine. But sis needs to lower her prices cause I'm considering going for crj and with the amount of seats she still has available she needs to do a deep discount cause it's hard for me to pay so much mainly for Carly when I've seen her for so much cheaper. But I love her so much and still wanna go so idk idk!

7. irthesteve

If it still is selling poorly near the show date, you might be seeing stubhub prices drop drastically, scaplers who thought they could flip their tickets and never got to

Kiana likes this.
  8. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

The show last night was honestly pretty amazing. The setlist was solid. Basically all the hits plus some Witness songs (though my life will never be fully complete since I'll never see Waking Up In Vegas live). But it is just non stop fun, even on the songs that I don't like as much. The whole show is a spectacle from start to finish. I can honestly say there was never a moment where I was bored or thinking please just move on to the next song or anything. People can say what they want, but there's a reason she is one of the biggest pop stars of the last decade.

It was also Katy's birthday so her whole fam was there and "surprised" her on stage (I kind of believed they surprised her that day, but I don't buy that she didn't know they were coming out on stage.) She was getting emotional at times and her parents and siblings were on stage a lot.

9. Inna Selez

Regular

I know it was yesterday, but happy birthday Katy. :wine::clap:

10. Kiana

Tbh I think she gets a lot of flack for how she performs when she's not worse than any other popstar. Like she's no worse than Taylor swift or Selena Gomez live but for some reason I think Katy is more known for bad performances. I saw her on the California dreams tour and it was fun and she wasn't bad at all. Like yeah she's not a strong singer or dancer but just like all the other popstars rn who aren't great at either I think she puts on enough of a spectacle to make it at least entertaining

beachdude42 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  11. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

One of my main problems with her is a lot of her songs are out her singing range. Like does not have the vocal strength to belt “Firework” or “Wide Awake.” Her voice is constantly cracking, even on the recording. At the very least, Taylor and Selena know their range and stay within it.

skogsraet likes this.
  12. Kiana

Eh I think sometimes Taylor pushes it. But Katy sounds fine live. She prob has a loud backing track but there were no issues when I saw her. I do prefer her first album when she was singing more in a style that I think suited her tho.

13. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

This is my biggest complaint about Katy

Edit: I will note that I love Britney and she can’t sing either, but at least she knows her limits

14. Kiana

I know ppl get on her case for it but Britney has spared us for like 20 years by lipsynching and I honestly wish more artists called a spade a spade and did it. I'm all about improving on ur voice but if ur the kinda popstar who is more of an entertainer than a vocalist then record a live take to use at the shows and spare us all. Like when an artist sounds like absolute trash and ppl say "at least they didn't lipsynch" I'm like sis say that to my ears and also what a silly thing to say like just admit ur fave sux

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I feel like people expect so much from pop star live performances, Ariana Grande can somehow sing and do choreography in heels but I don't know how it's possible

16. Kiana

Prob because popstars rn aren't rly doing difficult choreo or routines so they can strike a balance. I kind of hate that dancing is pretty much expected in pop cause most of them aren't that good at it and the performance just ends up suffering because of it imo

Like when Ariana performed with those bicycles that was such an impractical concept and her performance suffered.

17. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea exactly. You just have to take it for what it is: fun. No need to overthink it or except the performance of a life time. Just have a fun night singing songs we all know.

18. Clockwork

Regular

Katy has gotten miles better since a few years ago. It's a shame that she's still known for terrible singing when she's at adequate levels now, occasionally hitting really great when she's on fire. Plus, she's got an amazing stage presence. I'm guessing it's form her old "rocker" days. But maybe I just feel this way because I'm seeing her in January and I'm trying to get myself hyped.

19. Kiana

Adequate is the perfect word. I think most popstars rn are adequate live and if they have the setup to bring the performance to the next level it's not too big of a deal and imo can still be worth it. The setup combined with the energy of the crowd usually makes for a fun show. Honestly I think it's harder to not have fun at a big pop show.

beachdude42 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  20. irthesteve

Rumors that she was denied a Chinese visa and no longer can perform at Victoria secret fashion show

21. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

That’s what NME is reporting.

Katy Perry has been 'banned indefinitely' from China - NME

Curious what VS will do now with such short notice.

Also I thought this quote from the NME article was fascinating:

beachdude42 and irthesteve like this.
  22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I think Gigi couldn't get one either

23. irthesteve

Yep, same thing happened to her

24. Kiana

ugh she still hasn't discounted tickets. I'm sorry but no. In what world am I gonna pay these prices to see her?? The seats I want are in the $150-200 range before fees and that's not happening. Best deal I've seen is on stubhub but those fees ugh. I want 4 tickets and the fees add $120 to the total price (for all of them, not each). I just can't justify that for Katy even if crj is there

25. irthesteve

How long til the show? In LA there were tickets on stubhub for $14 the night before she played