Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Katy Perry’s Twitter Account Hacked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 31, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Yesterday Katy Perry, the most followed account on Twitter, got hacked. From TechCrunch:

This incident is yet another reminder that despite the platform’s security measures, no one’s Twitter account is safe—especially if they are a celebrity. Other high-profile Twitters that have been hacked include Justin Bieber, Lea Michele, and Britney Spears—and even the U.S. Central Command.

This is a good time to also point out that over the past week it looks like emails and passwords to over seven hundred million accounts may have leaked from LinkedIn, Tumblr, and MySpace:

There are some really interesting patterns emerging here. One is obviously the age; the newest breach of this recent spate is still more than 3 years old. This data has been lying dormant (or at least out of public sight) for long periods of time.

The other is the size and these 4 breaches are all in the top 5 largest ones HIBP has ever seen. That’s out of 109 breaches to date, too. Not only that, but these 4 incidents account for two thirds of all the data in the system, or least they will once MySpace turns up.

This is a good time to remind you to choose secure, long, and unique passwords for all your online accounts. I use, and recommend, 1Password.

2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Katy Perry has more followers than Beiber?

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Can someone explain to me the benefit of having different passwords that are hidden behind one master password? Wouldn't that make it less secure, that someone would have all your passwords if they got ahold of the one?

4. Your masterpassword you should not store in a database, so it can't be hacked in the same way an online database can. Only you know it. And you can change it. It is infinitely more secure to have long, random passwords across a variety of services (where any one that is hacked could give access to all of them). There is no absolute security, only best practices. Using a password manager to use random, long, unique passwords is one such best practice so that one failure on one not secure website doesn't give someone access to your bank.

5. irthesteve

So the mindset is that the master password is NEVER written down, or stored anywhere, other than your brain, yeah? That way no one else can access it?

6. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

That app sounds like just what I need. But what happens if that app gets hacked...

7. It's an AES-256 bit file, not an app, so really, it wouldn't matter if someone even had your vault file if you have a strong enough master password. The idea is do you trust someone who has their entire business model built around security, or do you trust the weakest link / website you have logged into.

supernovagirl likes this.
  8. irthesteve

9. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

oh I see.
    This is probably a dumb question but I'm unclear of how it works. Once you sign in you get access to the password right? So there would be no problem signing in through your desktop computer?
    Edited to clarify: I can't tell if it makes you log in THROUGH the app. Does that make sense?

10. Damien Davies May 31, 2016
    (Last edited: May 31, 2016)
    Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Anyone have a recommendation for something like 1Password but for windows? The Beta chrome extension has issues looking at all the reviews.

Edit: Nevermind