Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Katie Pruitt - Expectations (February 21, 2020) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

There are other albums that hit me a little more and maybe feel more "masterful", but that B side ("Disillusion Day" -> "Pretend We're Alright") has 100% been my favorite 2020 vinyl to play at night. He structured it in that classic way where the A Side is all the sing-along singles and its flipside is more dusky writing (but still super tuneful). After 10pm, I'll throw the B Side on and immediately hit play again when it finishes spinning.

zmtr and Craig Manning like this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I love this description. Now I need to buy this album on vinyl.

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

like this a decent amount. didn’t blow me away or anything though. the more 80s/war on drugs influenced stuff did more for me than the stripped down songs, which often felt like just waiting for the one moment towards the end where she belts it every song. overall pretty decent though, especially for a debut.

trevorshmevor and StreetSpirit like this.
  4. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

I think of Out Of the Blue on an almost daily basis. That song, and Why we Ever by Hayley Williams, are probably my top two from this year.

anyone have the vinyl? How does it sound?

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  5. Craig Manning

It sounds great.

Matthewconte likes this.
  6. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

As does mine

7. quietwords

Good to know, thanks! It’s going for about $18 on amazon and that’s pretty hard to pass up

8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

is it weird that Look The Other Way might be my favorite song by her?

9. Matt Chylak

Nope, it's probably in my top 3 at this point. Her voice is so powerful that she can do a lot with a more straight-ahead rock sound. That Donovan Woods song is the exact opposite and also excellent though!

Music video came out today. It's pretty whatever to me but worth a watch.

.K. and irthesteve like this.
  10. Matt Chylak

We also haven't talked about her new collab with Anthony da Costa, which is a dusty, feet-on-the-dash kind of tune with a nice chorus. Katie doesn't take over like she probably could but her harmonies compliment da Costa's voice well.

zmtr likes this.
  11. Craig Manning

I love “Look the Other Way,” but it can’t crack the “Wishful Thinking”/“Normal”/“Grace Has a Gun” top 3 from the record for me.

12. zmtr

Trusted

Damn! I didn't know this was a thing. Saw Anthony open for John Moreland a few years ago and was super impressed. He's got some great tunes.

13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

zmtr likes this.
  14. zmtr

Trusted

Oh hell yeah

15. Matt Chylak

16. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

two new cover songs:

DaydreamNation and Craig Manning like this.
  17. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

!!!!

18. Matt Chylak

Wow, Rounder is really letting her do what she wants here. Crazy how much music they're letting her release the same year as her debut.

"Ohio" sounds great, excited as heck for "After The Gold Rush".

Craig Manning likes this.
  19. Craig Manning

Rounder is just generally knocking it out of the park lately. Great artists given a lot of artistic freedom.

Matt Chylak likes this.
  20. quietwords

Heard a cover of Santa Baby that she did on one of the SiriusXM holiday stations. Was certainly unexpected!

irthesteve likes this.
  21. Matt Chylak Nov 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 27, 2020)
    Matt Chylak

Hoping she puts her Christmas song up on streaming services. "Merry Christmas, Mary Jane" is a legit contender for my favorite original holiday song in a decade, but felt like she might have held off on putting it up last year because her debut album wasn't out yet. It seems like it could be on the table given her stream of loosies over the last few months!

Craig Manning and Slangster like this.
  22. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I went with Expectations for my favourite album from 2020. Thanks to everyone in this thread who introduced this incredible music to me!

23. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

This version of "Out of the Blue" is insane:

Joe likes this.
  24. djwildefire

Trusted

25. Hell yeah, Blueberry Hill show. Will have to check that out. Walking distance from me + an awesome venue/bar

Ferrari333SP likes this.