Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Katatonia

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by christsizedshoes, Sep 10, 2016.

1. christsizedshoes

Trusted

I somehow missed The Fall of Hearts back in May, so just now catching up on that, and it's making a strong case for being among their top 2-3 releases. I thought Dead End Kings felt a bit phoned in, but this is a big rebound.

"Serac" might be the best song in their catalog:

Aside from this new one, my favorite LP has always been Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

Any other thoughts on the new stuff?

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  2. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

I'm more fond of Fall of Hearts than I have been with anything they've put out since The Great Cold Distance. Really good album.

christsizedshoes likes this.
  3. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Really starting to think TFOH is their second-best release in a crowded back catalog, right behind LFDGD.

So diverse, lots of new territory covered, and the riffs/chord progressions are more adventurous than ever.

"Takeover" and "Serac" are multi-phase progressive metal masterpieces that help make up for Tool/APC's decade-long absence. "Serein" is amazingly straightforward for Katatonia, dare I say almost mainstream, yet still tasteful. "The Night Subscriber" feels like the ultimate realization of the orchestral stuff they've dabbled in over the past three records. "Shifts" is stunningly haunting, and "Passer" is undoubtedly their best closer to date.

I loved Night is the New Day, but then Dead End Kings felt a bit like they were stuck in neutral, and half the songs were just uninspired. This, however, is an impeccable follow-up and progression from NITND. The swarm of killer riffs on this record is staggering.

4. Horrorca

Trusted

this is their best in a while

Viva Emptiness will always be my fav tho - that's were they managed a great balance between songwriting, heaviness and atmosphere

5. Inna Selez

Regular

This single is a good too.

6. Revisiting The Fall Of Hearts, with the bonus tracks and all, and damn it still is one of their best albums right? Bummed I missed the 10 year anniversary tour for Night Is The New Day, I thought they were going on a hiatus, which looks like was very short, so I'm boo boo the fool I guess.

7. It remains my favorite song so far, possibly a top 3 in their discography. Stunning.

unbornwhiskey likes this.
  8. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

fall of hearts was def their best in ages

9. Horrorca

Trusted

lol how things change - didn’t even remember this thread

my fav atm is their debut ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

love all of this band’s music tho

10. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

yeah my fave is also dance of december souls. perfect record

11. Horrorca

Trusted

I like you :)

highly recommend you read the Bardo Methodology interview with Blackheim where they discuss the band during the period of time of the first two albums - it’s incredible

12. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

who's digging the new album? I like it, but it's a bit of a step back from TFOH which is still insanely good. "Lacquer" is growing into one of my favourite songs they've ever done though

13. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i think it rules! most accessible katatonia record since great cold distance

Rowan5215 likes this.
  14. Rowan5215

that's almost my problem ha, I keep waiting for them to say fuck it and give us a full album of "Unfurl" or "Vakaren" style tunes, maybe some "Pale Flag" acoustic stuff in there too. that being said they're astonishingly consistent and even standard Katatonia is excellent Katatonia

15. Horrorca

Trusted

agree with this

the main riff on Heart Set is gnarly

I wish Anders became more involved in the songwriting but whatevs Jonas’s songwriting is awesome too

Rowan5215 likes this.
  16. christsizedshoes

Trusted

TFOH is my 2nd fav from their discog, and yeah, this is tough to get excited about relative to that (so far)

Rowan5215 likes this.
  17. Rowan5215

I think TFOH is my favourite nowadays. Dead heat between that and Last Fair Deal

18. I need to revisit their discography before giving the new one a listen. The singles definitely intrigued me