Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kanye West - The Life of Pablo (February 14, 2016) Album • Page 98

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 5, 2016.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

If anything, he was in that convo before Pablo and this was his first misstep

suicidesaints likes this.
  2. radiodead

Trusted

Disagree. Think Pablo is a top 3 Ye album.

3. radiodead

Trusted

And I believe he was in that company before. But Beatles and Stones and Bowie disco is still more impressive in my eyes. Something as eclectic as Pablo does wonders for his catalogue and only pushes his legacy and mythology towards even more staggering heights.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

He 100% was before. Pablo was fine. It was messy and I'm not drinking the Kool Aid on the idea that the messiness adds to the genius, it was just a sloppy release that continues to feel unfinished. Yeezus was abrasive and brash and raw and didn't hit at first but clicked for me very shortly after. This has not. I really find no desire to listen to a lot of tracks off of it.

5. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Pablo has a few of Ye's best tracks, but I almost never listen to it as a whole.

6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

An album that worked it's way thematically from Ultralight Beam to Wolves could have been the best Kanye album yet. This version of it isn't that. Definitely some strong points but I have no issues calling it his weakest release as a whole.

7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I listened to Life of Pablo more than any album released last year I'd say. Honestly probably more than any other Kanye album, even though I'd still call Dark Fantasy my favorite.

Aaron Mook and JRGComedy like this.
  8. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I always think I don’t like Pablo but then when I go through it track by track I like all of them except for like 2. It’s a good album but maybe his least cohesive for sure.

skogsraet likes this.
  9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I do agree it could have been cut a little. I think after Wolves it falls off. Personally would cut Facts, 30 Hours should've been like 2 and a half minutes not 5 and a half, but I get so bored by the end of that song. No More Parties in LA is fine, but doesn't overly excite me. If it had just stopped at Frank's Track and maybe toss Fade on the end, it would be a perfect album for me.

Also, personally I think it flows incredibly well from Ultralight to Wolves.

skogsraet likes this.
  10. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

To be fair the album totally does end at Frank's track and the rest are bonus tracks that are just on every version. I mean, 30 Hours he even says that it is.

I do love all the songs though and the only thing I'd change is cutting the outro of 30 Hours + Silver Surfer

11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I definitely think about the album ending w/ Franks and the rest being bonus. They aren't notated like that anywhere, but that's what he was going for and it makes a ton of sense

radiodead and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I guess I just always thought that meant 30 Hours was meant as a bonus track. Like he just threw it on last minute is how I interpreted it, more than that everything from that point on was bonus tracks, but is that really what it's supposed to be? That makes me comfortable calling it a pretty much perfect album.

I mean I wouldn't really want to get rid of any of the songs, so I'm glad they're there. I just think they're better as individual songs than part of the Pablo.

13. The Lucky Moose Oct 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 9, 2017)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Lmao Kanye has really crossed over hasn't he, that's the whitest greats list of all time + kanye

SpyKi, Ken, beachdude42 and 3 others like this.
  14. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I would love to see Kanye make something to take over the radio again. It's been a while!

15. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

There's a version of 30 Hours he uploaded on SoundCloud where he doesn't mention the bonus track thing so the fact that he used that particular version on the album, right after an intermission, right after a track that was almost always the closer on his notepad tracklist definitely confirms the "everything after Frank's track is bonus" thing to me

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Debating what's bonus/not bonus on this album just proves how sloppy and poorly put together it is.

17. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm on board with this. Makes sense to me and seems like it's probably what the idea is.

18. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I like Pablo a lot but it IS a mess; and I think the messiness of it adds something to it at times and takes from it at others. I still find it fascinating in a lot of ways that make me wonder what it would’ve sounded like if Kanye had been in a different/better place.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  19. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

And yeah I’ve never considered anything after Wolves to be part of the album

radiodead likes this.
  20. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

saint Pablo is so dope just because the listen to the kids bro line

21. radiodead Oct 9, 2017
    radiodead

Trusted

Stevie Wonder is close. But I'm looking for 9-10 classics.

Love Outkast as well, but some of their late period work is average overall.

Mainly talking about longest and most consistent runs. The 3 I listed are pretty much the gold standard in my eyes

22. radiodead

Trusted

Not really

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

24. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Kanye leaning into his petulant, asshole side in combination with less self-accountability/deprication and less social commentary was a tough tone to swallow on TLOP.

25. The Lucky Moose Oct 9, 2017
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Stevie is above all of them. As are others. Also, those parameters already make it more difficult for black artists (and artists from other minority groups) to enter that particularly constructed list, given that they always have been and still are at a disadvantage in the music industry. It's not as "easy" for them to have long, consistent careers. Let's not argue anymore though.

OhTheWater likes this.