Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kanye West Says He’ll Boycott Grammys if Frank Ocean Isn’t Nominated • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

I was just jokin' around, though I certainly appreciate your defense! IMO, he was a visionary. I freakin' loved "College Graduation" more than was healthy. A beautiful piece of art, largely aided by Jon Brion's skill. Enjoyed Graduation, and then once the "school" trilogy was completed he's seemed lost. Love a track here or there, but I do not like how he conducted this latest cycle. Not only is "Life of Pablo" not very good, but he clearly wanted all eyes on him. It worked. Reminded me of Lebron's "the decision" fiasco. Anyway, I'm putting in my Blu Ray of Solaris to relax! :blush: If you wanna talk movies PM me, I could do it all day!

2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Gotta love the people who think Kanye lost his way after the first 3 records. smh.

Aaron Mook and oldjersey like this.
  3. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

2017, the album was released in time to be considered for those awards
    he references the way the grammys changed their rules to nominate Gaga so that she could perform in2009, his point is that they can bend their own rules when it suits them.
    You're disgusting.

I'm sure they want him there since he's generated more "viral" moments for awards shows than any other star in the last few years.
    :eyeroll:
    :eyeroll:
    People still really like kanye, and he gets a lot of eyeballs on award shows.
    your experience is not universal, especially when you acknowledge your insular community of white people
    he has twenty million listeners on spotify. his albums are massive cultural events still. this post borders on some kind of weird condescension towards working class rappers that i dont get.
    or conversely: you're too stupid for kanye.

4. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

But they love rap. Not a race thing. Big Sean and Future are gods here. Interestingly, Kanye happens to have one of the best upbringings of most rappers, which is really cool. Defending my point is all. It's more that CO has fallen victim to EDM. We're like a mecca for that shit.

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I was genuinely baffled that he included that qualifier as if it'd make his point stronger

St. Nate likes this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Rap and hip hop are inherently tied to race. It's pretty obvious as to why a lot of people fell off of Kanye around the time his public persona and music became more abrasive and political and outspoken. Why all of a sudden "obnoxious" and " arrogant" began to get thrown around for him. To remove race from that conversation is to be ignorant.

DarkHotline, Robk, Contender and 2 others like this.
  7. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I meant the 2018 award show.

8. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

9. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

I mean no insult by this, but there is a strong possibility you were still suckling at your mother's teet when I first listened to Kanye. Followed his production in middle school(w/ The Blueprint and The Black Album being sonic masterpieces, listened to College Dropout and Late Registration through high school(2003-2007), and then got sick of it. [​IMG]

10. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

wait. i remember you. didnt we ban you like ten times on ap.net?

11. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

No insult meant but you were a baby when I was a big kid

St. Nate likes this.
  13. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

C
    Banned once I think. It's been so long. Why would you ban someone for difference of opinion on Kanye West?

14. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Fair enough.

15. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

I don't remember, but I truly like the new site. It's helped a lot w/ my music.

16. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

I won't indict myself because I can't win. BUT, there are many, so many better rappers than Kanye, probably w/in 10 miles of where you live. Just discussing, are you enamored w/ spectacle or the content? Because so many rappers are saying the same things better, but I find myself liking bands and rappers because of the sheer virtuosity of it all.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

What, exactly, are they all "saying"?

That's me being nice and not pressing you on your "colorblind" statement that you completely sidestepped and instead answered with an irrelevant question.

18. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Hard for me to name anyone as influential in music than Kanye in the past 15 years.

19. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, what other rappers (within 10 miles of me) are doing what Kanye has done/is doing musically?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Gonna go ahead and make a public warning in here. Some pretty bad stuff posted. I deleted some things that I thought were way out of line. I'm not sure why there were a few personal attacks, but keep that out of here (And Chorus in general). If anything else funky goes down, please report it.

Thanks, byeeeeeee.

scott likes this.
  21. Fair point.

Points.

Lots of points.

22. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I feel dirty, i'm gonna go shower

dhayes likes this.
  23. Fair enough, I was wondering what Kanye would expect them to do and I guess break the rules is what he wants. I don't think they actually will though.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  24. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

I guess the disconnect is I like UNDERGROUND rappers. And any casual rap fan knows the topics of fame, poverty, gun violence, right-wingers, the media, race and anything else you can name. I'm trying to tread very lightly, I love this site and the people on it. It's good Kanye is a platform for the disenfranchised(well, maybe not so much anymore. Hard to stay grounded when your married to Kim Kardashian, I'd think. Also feel really bad about the violent incident against her and 100% agree with him postponing his tour.) I didn't intentionally sidestep your question, it wasn't that well-worded to begin with. All I wanna do is understand, are you saying black people can't be jerks? If he is arrogant as you stated that's a perfectly fine reason not to like him.

25. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Also, not deflecting just saying Kanye is small potatoes right now, I feel dumb for caring about this thread. I'm dreading the election. If that miserable, misogynistic, xenopobic hateful hairpiece is elected...I just don't know. My once republican dad is terrified. He's a threat. I know, go to the election thread. But I'm surprised more artists have not come out against him, Mr. West included.