Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kanye West Reportedly Given Free Reign at VMAs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

TMZ is reporting that Kanye West will be given four minutes at the upcoming VMA awards to do whatever he wants:

A source close to production tells us MTV honchos are giving ‘Ye 4 minutes to do with as he pleases. He can rap, sing, dance or even just stay silent … and we’re told show producers are totally clueless which door he’ll pick.

The Chainsmokers and Halsey have also been announced as performers.

2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Hah maybe I'll actually watch the VMAs this year then.

beachdude42 and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  3. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

This can only go swimmingly. Gotta imagine they just want that Monday morning viral video/news blitz. I'm sure they'll get it.

4. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Should just do this with 12 minutes at the Super Bowl

beachdude42 and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  5. Cola.

I was such a looker in the old days Prestigious

Can't wait to see the hot fuckery that comes from this. :wine:

6. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Interesting move, which I'm sure will get huge numbers. The performers, though - hard pass, outside of maybe Future.

7. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I have a bad feeling if this works out, they'll give him 5 next year and 6 the year after that. I'm sure they'll have a countdown clock and everything.

8. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Sweet - I hope he prepares something & doesn't just get high and improvise on the spot like last year :crylaugh:

9. DearCory

Regular

It will be very interesting with Taylor also being there... more than likely in the front row.

Will he call her out? (doubt MTV would let him throw her under the bus... she'd never come back)
    Will she be there during his "segment?" (If she leaves, she'll look like a chump. If she stays her every move will be criticized.)
    Will they squash their beef? (Doubtful)

10. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I hope Kanye does nothing just to fuck with them getting their free headlines

coleslawed and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  11. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I bet he does an extended freestyle of 'I Like the Old Kanye' (or whatever that song is called)

12. a lack of color

Regular

Taylor will not be there.

13. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I can't imagine they would put Kanye on the stage to do "whatever" if she was going to be there.

I think this is kind of insulting to Kanye as an artist. His peers get asked to perform and MTV is banking on him to make a fool of himself so they can get ratings. I might be overempathetic but Kanye definitely has some mental health issues (you don't get prescribed Lexapro for shits and giggles) and to me this feels like they're trying to take advantage of that.

14. church11

this is amazing. this guy is influential. like it or hate it.

15. god...

the entertainment industry is soooo hungry for drama at this point that they will let Kanye do anything he wants for 4 minutes, in hopes that he'll make headlines?

will not watch.

16. heymynameisjoe

when the days have no numbers Prestigious

[​IMG]

17. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

This just became a must watch

18. Mike

I think you could view the situation in two ways. Yes, if Kanye was not autonomous and highly intelligent, it could be exploitive of his (potential) mental illness. However, Kanye is fully capable of crafting a 4 minute experience that will work to his benefit. He could make a fool of himself (and does so occasionally) but I would bet that he'll forge a performance that will further his brand and his goals. To be honest, I am mildly curious as to what he might do (but I always look forward to his growth as an artist and a performer).

19. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

It's not about Kanye's autonomy or intelligence, it's about the reasoning behind MTV's decision and the fact that they haven't done this for any other artist that comes off as exploitative. Kanye's on board with it, which means a) he doesn't think it's exploitative and it very well may not be, b) he's taking the opportunity to give them the middle finger or c) he's taking the opportunity to do...whatever he wants on an award show. I think any way you look at it, it's a win for Kanye, but I do question the reasoning behind this.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  20. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

His verse about McDonald's or whatever that was idk i just saw the lyrics posted somewhere spoke so deeply to my soul. He should serve some more of that!

I watch the vmas every year anyway. It's my superbowl.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  21. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Giving Kanye free reign is a fantastic idea. Assuming that he'll make a fool of himself is weirder to me than a company recognizing that he is usually the most interesting person at these awards and is one of a very select group that could manage something interesting other than a performance.

I would be surprised if it wasn't Kanye who insisted on being granted control over his stage time in order to actually be on stage. I doubt it was MTVs idea.

22. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I can almost guarantee it was Kanye's stipulation to get him there, kind of like how Complex handed the reins of the magazine over to him for one issue because he didn't want to be interviewed.

23. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Exactly my thought