Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kanye West - Jesus is King (September 27, 2019) Album • Page 52

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Blainer93, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

What a cursed image.

Serenity Now likes this.
  2. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Jack got a better fit than Kanye wow

3. Carrow Feb 13, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 13, 2020)
    If he's willing to share space with an antichoice homophobe then the question must be asked whether West himself endorses or shares those beliefs. Fuckjng disgusting behaviour. Yes I know it was weeks ago but it has to be said.

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

who is Jack?

5. yeah, is that like...Twitter Jack, or something? lol

6. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, Jack Dorsey

7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

three tools!

8. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

When did we start hating Jay lol

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  9. Nathan

Jay partnered with the NFL for their fake social justice initiative and co-opted Kap’s movement to monetize it and soften the NFL’s image

Drew Beringer, Zilla and Carrow like this.
  10. irthesteve

I don't care about sports, but from an outsider perspective it really seems like the NFL needed someone desperately to fix things in a very broken system. Isn't Jay supposed to be the entertainment liason or some shit, didn't they just have an amazing halftime show with two latin women? I'm obviously not in any of the meetings that he is in, but is this not a very obvious step forward?

11. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Also this:

Jay-Z Gets The NFL To Commit $100 Million To Criminal Justice Reform - Black Enterprise

Jay deserves the benefit of the doubt on this, at least.

Not to mention the other good things he does/did.

12. Nathan

13. irthesteve

It's a thankless position, I truly believe that no matter what he does or doesn't do, he will get criticized on the internet for even taking the position.

14. The Lucky Moose

Hov did that / So hopefully you won't have to go through that

15. irthesteve

16. Nathan

I mean, he’s literally a tool. The NFL is using him. I’m not saying potential good hasn’t come out of it in terms of fundraising but it all services PR for the NFL to whitewash Kap.

Jay should have aligned himself with Kap, not the NFL. You can raise money with Kap’s charities and champion the blackballed worker, not the blackballing corporation. Jay didn’t. He partnered with the corporation because he’s very rich and maybe well intentioned but completely oblivious. You can tell because he thought Kap turned a “legitimate” workout (scheduled at the last second on a Friday when teams are fully in prep for the Sunday games, rather than on the traditional Tuesday free agent workout day) into a “publicity stunt”. You say you don’t follow sports, so trust someone who does: the whole workout was a publicity stunt for the NFL in the first place and it’s telling where Jay aligns. I love him and grew up with his music having a huge influence on guiding my taste. He is also a tool.

17. The Lucky Moose

I think calling Jay Z, of all people, oblivious and a literal tool probably is pretty overboard. I dare to assume he has a better grip on the situation than you do.

irthesteve likes this.
  18. Nathan

Kap doesn’t speak a lot about the controversies in his orbit. “Sources” about his conversation with Jay are cited in the Atlantic article, though I suppose that doesn’t mean much to you

19. irthesteve

The irony of you saying "it doesn't mean much to you" when you are indeed SO strong on one side of this isn't over my head.

I saw his girlfriend's tweet about them not talking. And then a football player mentioned that the news moved eyes away from a different controversy. The rest are "sources"

I'm not coming at this from a one-sided thing, I am just genuinely curious what Kaepernick himself thinks about this, is that so much to wonder?

20. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

21. Nathan

No, I’m just telling you that he doesn’t usually comment at length about the controversies regarding the NFL and social justice (though on the day Jay’s partnership was announced, he subtweeted it). He has a memoir coming out in the near future, maybe he’ll expound on the issue there.

As for strongly being on one side, yes, I’m strongly on Colin Kaepernick’s side over the corporation and the billionaire

22. irthesteve

I completely agree that he is not at all in the same position as the players, and I agree that the things he has said have been very privileged... but again, is progress not being made? Are things not happening? In a perfect world, would this have been a partnership with Jay-z, Kaepernick and the NFL? Yeah probably, but we know the NFL is shitty so aren't small steps forward better than more steps back?

23. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Nathan likes this.
  24. irthesteve

See, this is the problem. I am obviously on Kaepernick's side of this thing. I do not care at all about sports or the NFL. My point is not that we need to take sides, my point is that there is a HUGE corporation that is not going away any time soon, at all. I personally think that things moving in a positive direction is better than no movement at all.

25. Nathan

And I’m saying that Jay Z could have thrown his weight and influence anywhere— he chose the NFL. This is not the only possible outcome where progress could have been made. It wasn’t “partner with the NFL or nothing” for Jay.

Zilla likes this.