Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kanye West - Jesus is King (September 27, 2019) Album • Page 25

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Blainer93, Sep 17, 2018.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I don't know why I get the itch to defend the Chance record as much as I do since I've listened to it, like, once, but so many people had negative vibes before a track even dropped. I don't think it got a fair shake. Once the memes started, there was no way it was going to be well received. It's no worse than any of the other long ass hypebeast records that get gushed over on a regular basis. Beats were dope, lyrics were good, he rapped well. Idk, aside from being over long I don't see why it was trashed

2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Amen

Cameron, unbornwhiskey and OotyPa like this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I think a lot of us are concerned he's using religion to redeem his image while consistently being shitty

tyramail and OhTheWater like this.
  4. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

To be fair I trash all of those long ass hypebeast records as well, but I know what you mean, this one was doomed from the start.

5. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

The chance record was mostly bad imo

Aaron Mook likes this.
  6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Coloring Book sucks

Jim, imthesheriff and ChiliTacos like this.
  7. The Lucky Moose

Coloring Book is great, as is gospel

GrantCloud, Zilla and Blainer93 like this.
  8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I have no problem with a record being long (see: So Much Fun) or with it having religious overtones (see: ULB) - And I promise you, I wanted to like the Chance record and was not a hater prior to hearing it. I don't even really hate it. I only listened to it once. But that's because nothing about it stuck out to me other than the things the memes made fun of (him constantly saying he loves his wife and screaming AH!)

9. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, is there anyone who disagrees that outside of maybe ULB, Chance has just nosedived since Acid Rap?

Even those who like Coloring Book and Wedding Album or whatever it's called, do you not think each release has produced diminishing returns?

10. Philll

Trusted

Its more or less consensus that Coloring Book is his best as far as I can tell. I think it holds up.

11. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Coloring Book over Acid Rap? Really?

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah, I disagree with the nosediving statement. Coloring Book was just about as good as Acid Rap. Summer Friends, Same Drugs and Sunday Candy are some of his best songs.

The Lucky Moose and Maybevictor like this.
  13. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Coloring book is more like a lateral move from acid rap. I think it’s great but for different reasons. As far as his technical skill and his backing band he is by far at his best on coloring book, but acid rap was also lightning in a bottle.

coloring book hype cycle built up so well and he definitely stuck the landing. No clue how someone can say an album with Summer Friends, Juke Jam, and Same Drugs is bad.

I wanted to like big day so much but in the end the I love my wife meme is the only thing I’m keeping from that.

14. The Lucky Moose

I don’t care about Acid Rap and think Coloring Book is probably one of the best rap albums of the decade

15. irthesteve

All We Got is a messy song, DRAM Sings Special is not good, Blessings 1 and 2 is terrible, Mixtape is trash, How Great is tiring, Smoke Break is boring. The album has a smattering of great songs, but its not a good album

imthesheriff and riotspray like this.
  16. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I don't hate Coloring Book. It has it's moments but overall it just didn't have the magic that Acid Rap had, imo. I guess nosedive isn't the right word since I don't think CB is WAY worse than Acid Rap, but I do think The Big Day is a major drop.

17. The Lucky Moose

I agree with the Mixtape take, the rest I strongly disagree with lol

18. cherrywaves

Trusted

Sunday Candy was on Surf FWIW

19. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

interesting. surprised you don't like Acid Rap too

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  20. The Lucky Moose

To be fair I haven’t listened to it in so long. Thematically it didn’t appeal to me at all is what I remember.

riotspray likes this.
  21. cherrywaves

Trusted

It's pretty wild how Chance the Rapper invented writing songs about your spouse. Crazy shit!

22. The Lucky Moose

And God

23. Philll

Trusted

Personally I think Coloring Book has aged slightly better than Acid Rap. I still enjoy AR a lot, but I don't often feel like going back to it.

24. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I don't really mind the lyrical content. Sonically nothing stuck with me from The Big Day.

25. irthesteve

Interlude (That's Love) is amazing, that's about all I have to say for Acid Rap