Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kanye West - Jesus is King (September 27, 2019) Album • Page 101

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Blainer93, Sep 17, 2018.

1. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I love Pablo but Yeezus easily beats it.

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i haven’t listened in probably four years and i’m not starting back up again now

Contender likes this.
  3. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Top 5 feels strange for a 10-track album lol. The stretch of Hold My Liquor—I’m In It—Blood On The Leaves is my favorite part

phaynes12 and imthesheriff like this.
  4. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Feels very weird that MBDTF will be a decade old next month

Tim and cherrywaves like this.
  5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

re: LOTR, the trilogy really is some kind of miracle, truly impressive they were able to do each book in one movie and have them all turn out that great

Zilla and StreetSpirit like this.
  6. I've said it before, but I have way too many memories attached to listening to Pablo throughout my senior year of college, hearing it on Dolby theater speakers for the first time on my birthday, playing those songs at parties, writing my thesis on Kanye, etc. to be objective about it being a lesser album or whatever. It was a right place, right time album for me and I just love the diversity of it. Feels like a mixtape in a very loose and fun way. It's a desert island album for me.

imthesheriff likes this.
  7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I remember appreciating Life of Pablo in a similar way to how I appreciate the Frank Miller comic The Dark Knight Strikes Again: both are haphazard creations by talented artists, but both kinda work for me both in spite of & because of that haphazardness. (Unfortunately, both are also, well... made by problematic, not great people, which shines through at times.)

To bring this back on topic, Pablo also shares that quality with the Star Wars prequel trilogy for me.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  8. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

See I’m in It makes my ears bleed, but those other two tracks are the only ones I go back to. With Pablo there’s 5+ tracks that I keep in regular rotation when I’m in the mood for KW...which is very rare these days.

9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

The Pablo tour was one of the most unique and crazy shows I ever went to

riotspray, Blainer93 and Aaron Mook like this.
  10. Selfish, but I feel very fortunate I got to see that tour before his breakdown.

riotspray likes this.
  11. irthesteve

Yeah I feel ya. It's ok for us to feel that way and also realize and recognize all that happened afterwards.

riotspray and Aaron Mook like this.
  12. Aaron Mook Oct 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 27, 2020)
    I'd be lying if I said that music (and the music that came before it) didn't mean the world to me. Still does sometimes, even if I wrestle with it and ultimately revisit it less. Just feels good knowing I'm not the only person who struggles with that.

13. irthesteve

It's really tough, him and his music have meant a lot to a lot of people for a long time, a lot of people in this thread for sure. Hard coming to terms with what he's become and what he stands for now.

14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I think the Hobbit movies get more hate than they deserve. They’re not great but they’re also not terrible either. They’re just ok.

15. Blainer93 Oct 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 27, 2020)
    Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

EBB2A060-467A-47D7-98DA-63043506D627.jpeg
    3CBA9DB5-747A-4042-A467-2C5D7B860E59.jpeg

Dude put on two of the best shows I’ve ever seen which has led to some of my fav pictures I’ve ever taken.

Pretty sad what he’s become but part of me cant say I’m that surprised tbh.

riotspray, Aaron Mook and irthesteve like this.
  16. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

gotta quit saying “become” when there’s no indication he hasn’t always been this way

17. Philll

Trusted

Even by the most generous assessments he's always been "problematic".

18. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I think College Dropout is a pretty good indication that he changed in some regards

Zilla, tdlyon, irthesteve and 4 others like this.
  19. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I think it's reasonable to say that we collectively excused a lot of horrible elements of his, particularly his misogyny and hypercapitalism, because we liked his music and he was cool in other regards, and that his embracing of Trump and hard right wing ideology is predictable in hindsight but still not something most saw coming. Especially considering the politics of his pre-Pablo music.

"BILL COSBY INNOCENT" is where I couldn't justify taking in his art/celebrity the same way any further.

20. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

The 48 frame rate makes the entire thing just look so distractingly off

The key scenes from the book were probably the most well done — Frodo vs. Gollum and Frodo vs. Smaug

21. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I didn't listen but apparently Kanye is STILL talking about the water bottle they give you on planes on Rogan

22. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

The one issue he's been consistent on for years

riotspray likes this.
  23. irthesteve

24. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I heard the Why Don't We song that samples "Black Skinhead" on the radio today. Weird song for a pop tune to sample.