Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kanye West and TIDAL Exclusively Sued

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

A man in San Fransciso is suing Kanye West and TIDAL for fraudulently claiming that the artist’s new album, The Life of Pablo, would be available exclusively on the service.

“We fully support the right of artists to express themselves freely and creatively, however creative freedom is not a license to mislead the public,” Baker-Rhett’s attorney Jay Edelson wrote in a statement. “We believe that we will be able to prove to a jury that Mr. West and Tidal tricked millions of people into subscribing to their services and that they will ultimately be held accountable for what they did.”

Raku likes this.
  2. thecobrakais

Regular

interesting. i doubt it will go anywhere, but i think the guy has a point.

3. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I think it'll come down to the use of the word exclusive. I'm sure kanye camp will say it was an exclusive premier or a timed exclusive. As long as there is nothing contrary in the original release then I think kanye and tidal won't lose anything.

4. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

Same. Kind of like how people can sue (and beat) beer companies that market themselves as a craft brewery when they're actually much bigger. Ultimately, this guy should piss off - all he did was maybe pay $10 to join Tidal for maybe one month.

5. thecobrakais

Regular

yeah...i mean, if they had to agree to a yearly subscription or something, i could see being more pissed off about it. but, i really don't like kanye, so i hope he gets stung a little out of all this. :)

Raku likes this.
  6. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I smell an out of court settlement. Tidal has enough bad press where I doubt they'll want to go to court over this which would surely only bring more bad press. With their marketing reputation and the truly iffy way TLOP was marketed as "exclusive," it'd probably make more sense for both parties to just settle outside court. I mean this San Fran guy can't be expecting that much money where Tidal won't want to just settle and get him out of their hair.

7. jorbjorb

7 rings

haha this rules.

Raku likes this.
  8. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

9. RiseAgainst379

Regular

Guy will need to prove that he suffered some sort of injury as a result of Kanye's actions, which seems flimsy to me. Even if he wins (dubious), his recovery would be limited to the damages he suffered as a result of the harm - which I don't really see here.

10. DandonTRJ Apr 18, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 18, 2016)
    DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

It's a class action case, so they'll be looking for a certified, court-approved settlement on behalf of everyone who signed up for Tidal on the basis of getting access to TLOP. I'm curious as to how they'll propose to differentiate those people from general sign-ups, though.
    The simplest injury to allege is the subscription fee to Tidal, which is presumably significant (and quantifiable) enough on a class-wide basis to pursue. The injury with regard to Tidal's amassing of subscriber information is a bit more nebulous, but that's Edelson's bread-and-butter, so if there's anyone who can make a case for sufficient standing/injury from it, it's probably them.

Colby Searcy, Raku and Jason Tate like this.
  11. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

Given that the album was released exclusively on Tidal and then tweaked before being released everywhere else, doesn't Kanye's claim technically still hold? I mean there was a version of TLOP that was exclusive, just not the final version.

Robk and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  12. Clark

@yttebkralc Prestigious

Except Kanye explicitly stated his album would never be available through Apple and only on Tidal, as quoted in the article.

Raku and Turkeylegz like this.
  13. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

My law knowledge is very very limited, so bear with me, but basically if Tidal chooses to settle, that would mean they'd have to contact everyone who signed up after the release of TLOP and offer a refund or something? If so...yikes.

Raku likes this.
  14. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

A true adult would just ask for a refund for their Tidal subscription.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  15. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I hate 2016.

16. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

It depends on how the settlement is structured. Typically, a notice would be issued in some manner calculated to inform as many class members as possible of their rights and their ability to participate in the settlement. There's no magic bullet for every case, so it depends on what the parties convince the court is reasonable. A few possible methods include having Tidal message/e-mail all their users, physically mail letters to subscribers' addresses, or publish advertisements about the settlement. The notice would probably tell class members to go to a dedicated website (something like tidalclassactionsettlement.com) where they can submit their claims. How much Tidal would be on the hook for depends on how much money gets allocated to the settlement fund, how many members submit claims, and what the court orders should happen to the remaining funds if they're not claimed by class members.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  17. Ska Senanake

Trusted

good

Raku likes this.
  18. Jacob Davidson

Regular

Dude probably didn't even pay for the tidal subscription. The free trial lasted until it went to Apple Music because they kept upping it for me to keep me subscribed.

19. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Sounds like he has a personal vendetta against Kanye.

20. I've gotten so many of those over the years for random products.

I think I got a check for $4 once for some vacuum cleaner or something.

Carmensaopaulo and DandonTRJ like this.
  21. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

obligatory

22. Brilliant

Raku likes this.
  23. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

Pretty sure this won't bother him in the slightest.

24. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Haha, the only one I was ever interested in participating in was a settlement against Ticketmaster over the ridiculous fees they tacked onto purchases, but I think I was too lazy to investigate the claiming process and let it fall by the wayside.

Jacob Davidson and Jason Tate like this.
  25. mattmcbreen

Still I'm ready to fight

Couple of my friends just got their $2.50 checks from the Red Bull class action

Jason Tate likes this.